Nicolaus Arnoldus on noblemen as tutors of the church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
According to Acts 17:26, it is certain that all mankind is derived from one man and that God made out of one blood the whole race of mankind. This is assented by reason because unity is the principle of multitude. Virtue alone is what makes the difference between us who are equally born. ...

Twice, even thrice noble are they, whose nobility of their race is made perfect through the knowledge of human and divine things: and this knowledge shimmering, so to speak, with radiating precious stones, brings all men to the love and to the desire of it. Since the Sun has no excellence unless it is accompanied in this life by the excellence of the Polar Star and is followed by it in the future life, it seems to me that those people have taught me their subject matter on the base of a completely divine precept and have received all approbation, who combine the pleasant with the useful, and who, I say, join together their learned studies (which make them good citizens of their Fatherland) and theology, which in my opinion is the queen of sciences.

Reason dictates that noble men, being the tutors of the church, must be steeped with knowledge of the things that concern the church. For when there is no desire for the unknown, there is no care for it. Hence the tears the church weeps over the apostasy of many.

For more, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back