NIV Application Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Riese

Puritan Board Freshman
NIV Application Commentary Series. Is it:

Reformed, scholarly, critical, technical, devotional? I have no idea. All I know is that Moo has a couple of contributions in it and that Moo is typically counted as really good. But what about guys like Walter Liefeld on the Pastoral Epistles? Is he any good?

Anybody own any of the NIV Application Commentaries? What do you think of them? Should I buy any of them?

I have them on computer, like them, and value them as more applicational/pastoral in purpose. They vary in orientation, broad evangelical would be a good characterization.

Moo did the Romans one(!!!) but it is much less thorough than his longer efforts on Romans. Some writers are solidly Reformed (Ian Duguid on Ezekiel), some are Reformed bad boys (Peter Enns on Exodus), some are quite prolific (Tremper Longman on Daniel), some are dispensational (or at least progressive dispensational - John Walton on Genesis; Darrell Bock on Luke; Michael Wilkinson on Matthew), some are emergent-friendly (Scott McKnight on Galatians and 1 Peter).

My personal opinion is that it is worth getting on computer for a good discount. If you are building a library of sermonic-friendly, but serious, commentaries, the Reformed Expository Commentary series is a better bet, certainly more theologically even. They have something like 13 volumes complete and it will be a fabulous addition to anyone's library (in my opinion). Our own Administrator, Lane Keister, claims that the Luke commentary in the Reformed Expository series may actually be the best commentary he has ever purchased!!!

Westminster has the 13 volumes bundled for $205.26 (http://www.wtsbooks.com/sitesearch/search.php?keywords=reformed+expository+commentary). That is a paltry $15.79/bk!!! And, no IL sales tax. Such a deal!

Last edited:
I wouldn't invest in the whole set, but the series does have a few worthies. I have benefited from Moo on Romans. I was actually surprised at how conservative Moo's volume is... he makes a few statements in it that would make a liberal/secularist's head spin in sheer horror (but then, true Gospel teaching has a way of doing that).

I have purchased Isaiah and Hebrews at a discount store for $4.00 each. I have packed them away due to planned move. I have not really looked into them just at store, liked what I read, I figured the price was to good to pass them up. Seeing how I used to use an NIV Study Bible. If store has any more at that price I will also purchase them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back