NLT Life Application Study Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojourner

Puritan Board Freshman
In addition to my list of bible collection. I bought this one 2 or 3 yrs. ago.
Is it reformed in its teaching.

Sojourner, if you're asking whether the study notes reflect reformed theology, then no, I don't believe they do (we had one of these a while back). In addition, my memory is that the study notes weren't dependable in their commentary on the text. The NLT is not a very good translation of the Bible, it's more of a paraphrase. Do you need a recommendation for a good study Bible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: There was a limited amount of involvement in this study Bible and its translation by a few Reformed scholars, but the vast majority were not. There is much to be desired in the translation itself, though it is a marked improvement on the very non-Reformed (in fact, re-writing parts of Romans for example to conform better to Arminian teachings) Living Bible, it still retains TLB's paraphraser on the committee. The notes of this study Bible are generally orthodox, but there are far better places to go for Reformed teaching in a study Bible, and far better translations of the Scriptures to use.

Thanks Jeri and Jake. :)

Oh so I should keep this as a part of my bible collection, good for staying in the shelf only. :rolleyes:
I have an ESV Study bible and right now... I am considering buying the New Reformation BIble (edited by R.C. Sproul).

anything by RC Sproul is the best I have his Reformation Bible awesome and also his commentary on John wow very good stuff. I also like and made it my number 1 Bible. The 1599 Geneva Bible by Tolle Lege Press this has notes from the original reformers like John Calvin and John Knots.

anything by RC Sproul is the best I have his Reformation Bible awesome and also his commentary on John wow very good stuff. I also like and made it my number 1 Bible. The 1599 Geneva Bible by Tolle Lege Press this has notes from the original reformers like John Calvin and John Knots.

Hello Joe! Really heard a lot of positive comments with regards to the New Reformation bible. The ESV is on the neutral side right its not a Reformed Study bible from what I understand...

Matthew Henry's Study Bible is always a great one to use. It's time tested and classic just like the translation it's attached to(KJV)

If you have an ESV Study Bible, then look no further. You've got a great resource for Bible study. I don't own a Reformation Study Bible but I hear it is a good resource. I do have a MacArthur Study Bible which has a Reformed perspective but also reflects the dispensational premillienialism of MacArthur (the study notes attest that certain passages are referring to the future millennial reign of Christ, such as Ezekiel's vision of the Temple.

Hello Joe! Really heard a lot of positive comments with regards to the New Reformation bible. The ESV is on the neutral side right its not a Reformed Study bible from what I understand...

I think the ESV Study is very good lots of great study tools in one place and one brother said the Matthew Henry Study Bible that is very good as well in the KJV. CBD sells these in hardcover foe like $13.00 USD

Well, if you're looking:

I think the general list of Reformed study bibles currently in print are the: Reformation Heritage Study Bible, Reformation Study Bible, Matthew Henry Study Bible, 1599 Geneva Study Bible (modernized)

I've looked at all of these, and think the Reformation Heritage Study Bible is the best overall.

The ESV Study Bible is also a good resource, with a lot of Reformed input.

I think I would describe, though perhaps someone else can do better than me, that the ESV Study Bible is more focused on 'biblical studies', whereas the Reformation Study Bible is more theologically oriented (though I've primarily looked at the older edition). The Reformation Heritage Study Bible focuses on practical, experimental theology.

I will as well commend the ESV study bible. I have been using mine more often and find it to be a wonderful resource. I commend the translation as well. It's really growing on me.

Well, if you're looking:

I think the general list of Reformed study bibles currently in print are the: Reformation Heritage Study Bible, Reformation Study Bible, Matthew Henry Study Bible, 1599 Geneva Study Bible (modernized)

I've looked at all of these, and think the Reformation Heritage Study Bible is the best overall.

The ESV Study Bible is also a good resource, with a lot of Reformed input.

I think I would describe, though perhaps someone else can do better than me, that the ESV Study Bible is more focused on 'biblical studies', whereas the Reformation Study Bible is more theologically oriented (though I've primarily looked at the older edition). The Reformation Heritage Study Bible focuses on practical, experimental theology.

Jake, in your comparisons, are you referring to the newest 2015 Reformation Study Bible or an older version?

Those of you who live in the US you are all blessed because its easy to purchase study bibles and its not that expensive. Bought my ESV for a thousand bucks, and Christian bookstores here most of them don't carry Reformed titles (A lot of Christians here are Pentecostal and they adore the prosperity preachers like Joel Osteen). Anyway, hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get a Reformation bible but its not the 2015 edition, the previous edition.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get a Reformation bible but its not the 2015 edition, the previous edition.

Since this may be an expensive purchase for you, I will mention that the 2015 Reformation Study Bible is thought by many people to be much superior to the older Reformation Study Bible. If you already have an ESV Study Bible, you may find that the older Reformation Study Bible is not worth the investment. It does not contain nearly as much material as the ESV Study Bible you already have contains. The older Reformation Study Bible is still an excellent resource with notes that explain theology from a Reformed perspective, but be aware that it does not contain as much material.

If you go to www.olivetree.com they have the ESV Study, the NIV Study, KJV with Strong's, among many other choices. Kindle also has many, such as the Reformation Heritage KJV. The electronic editions are cheaper than the hard copies, and I assume would be available world wide ...... though I may be wrong about that, I was wrong once before.

Thanks Jack for the info. but this is the Reformation bible that is available for now in the place where my churchmate buys Reformation books. So better than nothing I guess...

Jimmy H. thanks for the online suggestions.. but I prefer books over electronic ones, and also coz' I collect Christian books. :)

Can you order Bibles by mail?

Evangelical Bibles - excellent selection of ESV Bibles
Bibles Direct

I have a whole bookshelf full of "Study" Bibles, now I just use what is called a reference Bible and let scripture interpret scripture, the center column references are your friend. Another excellent choice is what is called a wide margin Bible or note takers Bible, you write your own study Bible by writing your own notes as you study.

If you read the KJV, there are some great Bibles at a reasonable price:

Local Church Bible Publishers
Trinitarian Bible Society (these can be purchased for a better price at Evangelical Bibles)

And there is always Amazon.

God bless you and keep you,
Ken

Last edited:
I recommend the MacArthur Study Bible. It is my favorite Bible and has really good study notes! I recommend you purchase the NASB version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back