No 50th Reunion for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
My 50th high school reunion was supposed to have been this fall (Long Beach Polytechnic Senior High School in Long Beach, California. "Go, Jackrabbits!"). But the coronavirus put an end to that. It would have been interesting to see how many people might have turned up since there were more than 900 people in my graduating class.

And, because it is the 50th, this would have been the last official organized reunion.

Oh, well.

@bookslover The 50th at my old high school has been delayed until next year. (Not my class, but I know a few of the folks in that one).

By the way, I was always a little irked that our mascot was a jack rabbit. Nothing manly and impressive like a lion or a bear, or even an eagle. No, they had to pick a jack rabbit.

On the other hand, when I was in high school (1967-1970), Poly High had sent more players to the NFL in the previous decade or two than any other high school in the country - including all those football-obsessed high schools in Texas or Oklahoma. So, there's that.

On the other hand, when I was in high school (1967-1970), Poly High had sent more players to the NFL in the previous decade or two than any other high school in the country

Well, one would expect the Jackrabbits to have good running backs.

I’ve read social media has reduced the number of class reunions and attendees. People just don’t feel the need for them.

By the way, I was always a little irked that our mascot was a jack rabbit. Nothing manly and impressive like a lion or a bear, or even an eagle. No, they had to pick a jack rabbit.
Don't feel bad. Our mascot was a heron. That's right, a heron. They called us the "butt-kickin' swamp chickens."

Last edited:
I’ve read social media has reduced the number of class reunions and attendees. People just don’t feel the need for them.
Interesting. I think Facebook has had the opposite effect on me. I now have a small bit of online contact with people I had forgotten about and once thought I would never encounter again. It makes me more interested in a gathering with them, not less interested.

I bet Long Beach was really different back in the day.

Yes, it was. The late sixties was a time of riots (sort of like now!). One year, I got locked into my geometry class for about 2 hours because rioters were coming down the street. They were threatening to burn down the school's library (they didn't). I remember thinking that, if they had any compassion, they'd burn down the cafeteria! Heh.

Good times. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back