No Faithful Church in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satz

Puritan Board Senior
What is everyone's opinion on what a christian should do if there is not faithful church in the area?

Is home church an option?

Churches that are plants, i.e. affiliated with a denomination and have official oversite, and have ordained pastors in place, i.e. men whom have been called to the ministry as overseers and can legally pass the sacraments, are the only acceptable situation biblically. Other than that, it is essentially a bible study. In these studies, there are no sacraments administered, hence they are NOT a church.

The house movement that is going on today is a plague to Christs people.

I agree with Josh, if it meant you have to move, so be it.

[Edited on 7-22-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Contact the nearest faithful church, inform them of your situation and express your interest in having a new church started in your area. Become a mission work of the clostest faithful church.

Move out of the area? Really? I would think that if God has placed you in a location where there is no faithful church, He has placed you there for a reason. I would attempt to start a new church (using the above mentioned method) in the area, not move away.

:2cents:

Originally posted by Loriann
Yes, I call my gathering a Bible study, for the sacraments we bring ourselves together with a congregation. :)

Lori,
Who is your oversite? How is discipline administered?

Originally posted by satz
What is everyone's opinion on what a christian should do if there is not faithful church in the area?

Is home church an option?

We live in an area where there simply are no Reformed churches. What we've done is attend the church that (in our estimation) is the most solid. We are planning on moving shortly and part of our decision to move is so we can attend a faithful church.

I agree with the others here that home church is not an option.

Scott, didn't you and I hash that out a couple years ago? ;) (via IM) if it wasn't you it was another admin!

Move or work with a reformed denomination to start a church plant. If you are not called to the latter (and it is really a calling), move. It is that important.

I think you need belong to a local body.

Is there no body at all that has the **marks of the church** within driving distance? A church can be pretty far out and still meet the bare requirements of the marks of the church.

For those who are not part of a church - be responsible and read these:

http://www.apuritansmind.com/PuritanWorship/MurphyThomasDutiesChurchMembers.htm

http://www.apuritansmind.com/PuritanWorship/UnderstandingChurchMembership.htm

What is a biblical church?

Does you church meet these 6 criteria?

1. True Biblical Preaching (wich includes doctrine)

2. The Right Administration of the Sacraments

3. The Faithful exercise of Church Discipline (which includes ecclesiology)

4. Strong Biblical Leadership

5. A Heart and Zeal for Biblical Missions

6. Biblical Worship

If your church does not outwardly exemplify these six areas, then it is not a place that Christ is building as His church. Remember, its not your church, its Christ's.

Originally posted by webmaster
If your church does not outwardly exemplify these six areas, then it is not a place that Christ is building as His church. Remember, its not your church, its Christ's.
I read the first article earlier this morning. Excellent! I'll try and read the 2nd one later today.

Even the confessions talk of the fact that there's no perfect church on earth. Where should the Christian draw the line when it comes to membership (whether maintaining it or seeking it) at a church that doesn't exemplify these six areas (assuming that the Christian is doing their part, as described in the first article)? Some churches are good in some of the six, but lacking in the others. Others appear to be lacking in most, if not all, of them. To what extent should the 7 letters in Revelation be used as a guideline for church membership (some of those churches were pretty lacking in some areas)?

Originally posted by blhowes
Originally posted by webmaster
I read the first article earlier this morning. Excellent! I'll try and read the 2nd one later today.

Even the confessions talk of the fact that there's no perfect church on earth. Where should the Christian draw the line when it comes to membership (whether maintaining it or seeking it) at a church that doesn't exemplify these six areas (assuming that the Christian is doing their part, as described in the first article)? Some churches are good in some of the six, but lacking in the others. Others appear to be lacking in most, if not all, of them. To what extent should the 7 letters in Revelation be used as a guideline for church membership (some of those churches were pretty lacking in some areas)?

Bob,
Keep in mind, when the WCF mentions churches that are less pure, they are speaking about likeminded churches, i.e one's that are holding, generally to the confession. They do not in any way intend to speak of churches like Calvary Chapels and the like. As a guideline, I would start with the 3 marks that make up what can be seen as a true church of Christ.

[Edited on 7-23-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Originally posted by AdamM

Is there no body at all that has the **marks of the church** within driving distance? A church can be pretty far out and still meet the bare requirements of the marks of the church.

I agree with Adam. If your looking for the perfect church, you're not going to find it 'til you get to glory! Trying to start a church plant is an option but that usually will take a while to set up. But you need to get with a church that may not be all you want but will do in the meantime.

Stating the obvious, but also, don't take and move to a new job until you know what the church scene is like there.
Originally posted by wsw201
Originally posted by AdamM

I agree with Adam. If your looking for the perfect church, you're not going to find it 'til you get to glory! Trying to start a church plant is an option but that usually will take a while to set up. But you need to get with a church that may not be all you want but will do in the meantime.

Belgic Confession, Article 28: Every One Is Bound to Join Himself to the True Church

We believe, since this holy congregation is an assembly of those who are saved, and outside of it there is no salvation, that no person of whatsoever state or condition he may be, ought to withdraw from it, content to be by himself; but that all men are in duty bound to join and unite themselves with it; maintaining the unity of the Church; submitting themselves to the doctrine and discipline thereof; bowing their necks under the yoke of Jesus Christ; and as mutual members of the same body, serving to the edification of the brethren, according to the talents God has given them.

And that this may be the more effectually observed, it is the duty of all believers, according to the Word of God, to separate themselves from all those who do not belong to the Church, and to join themselves to this congregation, wheresoever God has established it, even though the magistrates and edicts of princes were against it, yea, though they should suffer death or any other corporal punishment. Therefore all those who separate themselves from the same or do not join themselves to it act contrary to the ordinance of God.

Belgic Confession, Article 29: The Marks of the True Church, and Wherein it Differs from the False Church

We believe that we ought diligently and circumspectly to discern from the Word of God which is the true Church, since all sects which are in the world assume to themselves the name of the Church. But we speak not here of hypocrites, who are mixed in the Church with the good, yet are not of the Church, though externally in it; but we say that the body and communion of the true Church must be distinguished from all sects that call themselves the Church.

The marks by which the true Church is known are these: If the pure doctrine of the gospel is preached therein; if it maintains the pure administration of the sacraments as instituted by Christ; if church discipline is exercised in chastening of sin; in short, if all things are managed according to the pure Word of God, all things contrary thereto rejected, and Jesus Christ acknowledged as the only Head of the Church. Hereby the true Church may certainly be known, from which no man has a right to separate himself.

With respect to those who are members of the Church, they may be known by the marks of Christians; namely, by faith, and when, having received Jesus Christ the only Savior, they avoid sin, follow after righteousness, love the true God and their neighbor, neither turn aside to the right or left, and crucify the flesh with the works thereof. But this is not to be understood as if there did not remain in them great infirmities; but they fight against them through the Spirit all the days of their life, continually taking their refuge in the blood, death, passion, and obedience of our Lord Jesus Christ, in whom they have remission of sins, through faith in Him.

As for the false Church, it ascribes more power and authority to itself and its ordinances than to the Word of God, and will not submit itself to the yoke of Christ. Neither does it administer the sacraments as appointed by Christ in His Word, but adds to and takes from them, as it thinks proper; it relies more upon men than upon Christ; and persecutes those who live holily according to the Word of God and rebuke it for its errors, covetousness, and idolatry.

These two Churches are easily known and distinguished from each other.

[Edited on 7-23-2005 by poimen]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back