No free vote on homosexual "marriage"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Puritan Board Junior
In the UK members of parliament are generally expected to toe the party line. Each party gives all their MPs a daily list of votes in the house - each is underlined once, twice or three times (whipping). Breaking a three line whip gets you into trouble with the whips (MPs responsible for party discipline) and members of the government, no matter how lowly a bag carrier, are expected to resign if they cannot support a three line whip.

However, on moral issues such as divorce, abortion and homosexuality, MPs are given a free vote, this has been the practice since at least the 1950's. Apologies for being long winded if things are the same in the USA.

The three main political parties are so determined to get homosexual "marriage" made legal that they will be whipping their MPs when the house votes on these "marriages. No word yet as to whether this will be a three line whip, but many Conservative MPs, including several members of the government, are totally opposed to this change in the law.

To my mind this shows how powerful the homosexual lobby has become in this country. This would be passed in a free vote, most members of the Labour and Liberal parties support it. But getting it passed is no longer enough - the government feels that it has to be seen as actively pushing for homosexual equality.

What are MPs? Sorry Mate. Not familiar with the stupid system you have over there. Don't take offense to me calling your system stupid please. Ours isn't in my estimation. It is just unlawfully neglected over here which is.....

If you feel strongly about this, and I would hope that you do, then you should write to your local MP and encourage others to do the same. In my experience MPs will always reply. If they do not that becomes even more entertaining. Even if your MP agrees with you provide them with the evidence of constituency feeling. Multiple letters on a single subject from individuals tend to carry more weight than an “organised” petition. MPs contact addressess are easily found. I avoid using emails as I prefer to make them work a little harder.

The Conservatives won't be whipping their members on this issue, although it is ridiculous that a party that calls itself "conservative" should be supporting this :
MPs 'will not be forced to support gay marriage’ - Telegraph

Interesting - my source was the radio 4 news last night which is usually reliable on facts. But the Telegraph is also reliable.

Norseman - I carefully checked all the technical expressions to make them transatlantic, then fell down on the simplest!

The homosexual lobby is strong over here to. I am curious to see how they attempt to deal with the protections given to churches overhere and I assume in England as well. It more and more appears to me that rationality on a global level is just horrible. Now even reason itself is a political matter, if you hold to certian beleifs (homosexuality is o.k.) than get to be counted as "rational". If you don't your not "rational" and you cen be ignored and margenalized in society.

Maybe I'm wrong but I see little ways that a society can turn there back on gay marriage once legalizing it.

When Peter Hitchen's is an MP* or the Prime Minister I'll know your heading the right track again :pray2:.

*He has said before that it was a dream of his in the past but once he realized how corrupt they were he hated the idea.

James - the government has promised that no church will be made to carry out a homosexual marriage - ever. But when civil partnerships were introduced, in 2005, the government promised that this was as far as we would go - no marriages ever. So it would seem that "ever" means less than ten years in politics.

Our hope is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
Agreed. Though hand join in hand, the wicked will not go unpunished. We have to remember two things:

1.) God is sovereign. It's one thing to say that; another to actively believe it when things around us "go to hades." He is still God, just like He was God when Nero ruled at the time of the early church.
2.) I'm no prophet, and I'm certainly not somebody who relishes doom and gloom messages, but this may be the beginning of a wave of persecution for we Christians in the Western Civ.

James - the government has promised that no church will be made to carry out a homosexual marriage - ever. But when civil partnerships were introduced, in 2005, the government promised that this was as far as we would go - no marriages ever. So it would seem that "ever" means less than ten years in politics.

I don't trust politicians in principle. But thank you for informing me on this, I don't know much about what is going on with my brothers and sisters across the pond.

I don't trust politicians in principle. But thank you for informing me on this, I don't know much about what is going on with my brothers and sisters across the pond.
I can't wait for them to teach me how to play rugby in the New Heavens and New earth!

One of the blessings of being on the PB is that I learn about what is happening elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back