No pictures in a Presbyterian Church?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
OK, as most of you know I just "converted" to the PCA, so I am still a Presbyterian "newbie". Last night my wife and I were eating with another couple and they stated they had no pictures of their marriage ceremony because "No Presbyterian Church allows cameras in the church." Now I am very sorry if this is a dumb question, but most people in my family are either Methodist or Episcopal. So, is that true? If so what is the reason?:detective:

We certainly don't allow flash photography during any church meeting, because it is distracting. Other than that purely practical measure, I cannot think of any reason, scriptural or practical, to ban cameras!

My guess is that there are no pictures allowed during the ceremony itself. It is distracting, and often annoying. To be honest, most photographers don't get it that they are not in charge, and that the most important thing about the wedding is not the pictures. But every wedding that I have been at has an after the fact series of pictures taken re-creating the event.

Maybe they said Presbyterian churches don't have pictures in them.

You know like the lilly white Jesus or the descending angels that you might see as sanctuary art in other churches.

You know like the lilly white Jesus or the descending angels that you might see as sanctuary art in other churches.

Or like the "picture of Jesus" that was on the wall behind the pulpit in a small baptist church I once pastored.

I heard that Calvinists believed your souls could be stolen by having a photograph taken.

I didn't really start worrying about that until they had compact flash cards in the 32GB range because the soul is approximately 20GB in size.

Or like the "picture of Jesus" that was on the wall behind the pulpit in a small baptist church I once pastored.

I went to a friend's Church in Southern California. It was a Black Baptist Church with a huge mural of a Black John the Baptist baptizing a man right behind the pulpit.

Does this have anything to do with a wedding being a worship service?

If so, what would the elders/pastors say about photographers during Sunday worship verses a wedding worship service on a different day? Would photographers then be allowed then or should we then be consistent?

That sounds really superstitious and odd. It's not true.
Well, to give a nod to the "odd" part, the couple Megan and I were dining with were members of the local PCUSA......so I "reckon" they do not actually reflect orthodox Presbyterian thought.;)

My wife and I had pictures taken of us at our wedding and we find ourselves constantly seeing how much weight we have gained since then and how much older we look now, and I think to myself, if only we could have been as mature back then, as we are now, with physiques like that.

Well, to give a nod to the "odd" part, the couple Megan and I were dining with were members of the local PCUSA......so I "reckon" they do not actually reflect orthodox Presbyterian thought.;)

We were married in a PCUSA church, and our wedding was video-taped, and photography was allowed. I have been a member of several presbyterian churches over the years, and we have never had rules about taking pictures during weddings. Sounds like this situation was unique to the church where those folks were married.

We were married in a PCUSA church, and our wedding was video-taped, and photography was allowed. I have been a member of several presbyterian churches over the years, and we have never had rules about taking pictures during weddings. Sounds like this situation was unique to the church where those folks were married.
Well, frankly they were a bit odd, and it was a one time dining situation with them......so........I will not have to hear such madness again.;)

Well, frankly they were a bit odd, and it was a one time dining situation with them......so........I will not have to hear such madness again.

There are few odd ones in every bunch. (I'm probably one of them!)

Wait a minute, Presbyterians do forbid photography in churches! It says so explicitly in WCF XXXIV!

Well, frankly they were a bit odd, and it was a one time dining situation with them......so........I will not have to hear such madness again.;)

What did they order to eat?:(

I went to a friend's Church in Southern California. It was a Black Baptist Church with a huge mural of a Black John the Baptist baptizing a man right behind the pulpit.

I know of a church, also in the Los Angeles area, that has a "stained glass" (not real glass, of course) picture of Jesus - wearing a cowboy hat!

My wife and I had pictures taken of us at our wedding and we find ourselves constantly seeing how much weight we have gained since then...

Pfft! Civilians.

I could get you back down to your wedding weight. :)

Are military personel like yourself required to work out on a regular basis?

Yes. I've always been a bit more motivated than the average guy because I was a fat kid growing up. I started running at 16 and became pretty devoted to physical fitness after that.

Unfortunately my tendons can't keep up with my motivation any more but I still manage.

OK, as most of you know I just "converted" to the PCA, so I am still a Presbyterian "newbie". Last night my wife and I were eating with another couple and they stated they had no pictures of their marriage ceremony because "No Presbyterian Church allows cameras in the church." Now I am very sorry if this is a dumb question, but most people in my family are either Methodist or Episcopal. So, is that true? If so what is the reason?:detective:

I am getting married in 2 weeks in an OPC church that is more "conservative" in the images issue than the vast majority of Presbyterian churches today and there will be both still and video photography there.

I heard that Calvinists believed your souls could be stolen by having a photograph taken.

I didn't really start worrying about that until they had compact flash cards in the 32GB range because the soul is approximately 20GB in size.

Is there a compression algorithm involved in that 20GB or is that the actual size of the soul?
think.gif

What did they order to eat?:(

Kool-aid.

I can understand no pictures during the ceremony, but I have never heard of a Presbyterian church in which no pictures could be taken at all. They are always taken immediately before and after. I am extremely confident in this because my fiance owns her own floral business and exclusively does weddings. I've been to many, many weddings.

Fred is right

What you are probably looking at is a church policy that was developed because of some over zealous camera guys...everywhere I have been in the PCA ... required no flash and no movement 'cause it is a service not a cover-girl photo shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back