No Posting on Sundays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it- thanks. As an aside, I am still trying to figure out the Sabbath thing... I had a pastor who did nothing from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Just don't know a ton about The Sabbath...

Benjamin,

Thanks for the tip . . . I ordered it too. Interestingly, I was listening to Pipa's treatment of justification (iPod) on the way home from church today.

You are one odd duck for a 27 vet of the PCUSA. Your theology just doesn't correspond to any stereotype I have of PTS in this era! Are you sure that you left PCUSA of your own choice? Or, did they run you out with the smell of tar in the air? Maybe some of the pastors invoked the sisterhood and began praying to Sophia regarding your need to leave their ranks? :lol:

Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

VI. Neither prayer, nor any other part of religious worship, is now, under the Gospel, either tied unto, or made more acceptable by any place in which it is performed, or towards which it is directed:[27] but God is to be worshipped everywhere,[28] in spirit and truth;[29] as, in private families[30] daily,[31] and in secret, each one by himself;[32] so, more solemnly in the public assemblies, which are not carelessly or wilfully to be neglected, or forsaken, when God, by His Word or providence, calls thereunto.[33]

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,[35] which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]

VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their wordly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

Trying, by God's grace to keep the Fourth Commandment is an important part of the Christian life.

Myself, Gavin, and for my family I try, by God's grace,to refrain from ordinary activities (like posting) on the Lord's Day. The high standard set in our Confession really even requires taking our thoughts, words, and deeds off of it so we focus on worship. This is very difficult to do, I don't always keep this perfectly but I have found blessing in obedience and leading the family in obedience.

Practically, my understanding is the Sabbath ends at sundown, so I try the whole day to Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it Holy.

Blessings to you.

Thank you all for the suggestions on reading material.

Scott, I see the WCF statement on The Sabbath and I am sold on the idea that we should keep it until The Return of The Lord, but how did it get moved from Saturday to Sunday?

(This is not a Romans 9 type of question. I really do not know.)

Thank you all for the suggestions on reading material.

Scott, I see the WCF statement on The Sabbath and I am sold on the idea that we should keep it until The Return of The Lord, but how did it get moved from Saturday to Sunday?

(This is not a Romans 9 type of question. I really do not know.)
See Sabbath The Day Changed; The Sabbath Preserved, A. A. Hodge
And this exchange which has a useful chart on the appearances of the Lord after his Resurrection. Exchange between Richard Bacon and Seventh Day Adventist
Also see James Durham on the fourth commandment from his lectures on the Ten Commandments
The Fourth Commandment | Naphtali Press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back