No Reformed church here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caia Luciana

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi everyone,
Just out of interest, I am wondering: which denomination would you join if your area does not have any confessionally Reformed churches? Evangelical Anglican? Reformed Baptist? Lutheran, or others?
Bonus question: which denomination would you absolutely not join? (let's exclude the liberal "churches" for now...)

Question is hypothetical but was also my situation - I have just moved to Hong Kong, which has exactly one Reformed church at the other end of the city. I have found a church, but am curious to hear other opinions on PB.

(Might do a poll if my question gets popular enough...)

First, reject those with blatant idolatry that would be staring you in the face every week. Some Presbyterian churches can't pass that test. Then winnow from there.

Hi everyone,
Just out of interest, I am wondering: which denomination would you join if your area does not have any confessionally Reformed churches? Evangelical Anglican? Reformed Baptist? Lutheran, or others?
Bonus question: which denomination would you absolutely not join? (let's exclude the liberal "churches" for now...)

Question is hypothetical but was also my situation - I have just moved to Hong Kong, which has exactly one Reformed church at the other end of the city. I have found a church, but am curious to hear other opinions on PB.

(Might do a poll if my question gets popular enough...)
I don't think I would go by a broad denominational label as such, in these circumstances. They're not going to be that helpful.

Personally, I would avoid anything -- in any denomination -- that smacks of liberalism or charismaticism. I know of one Baptist church in Hong Kong that would definitely not pass the first test.

Incidentally, if you get a chance, visit Tao Fong Shan in Sha Tian, up in the New Territories. Hard to get to, but a lovely little Lutheran retreat center. Well worth a visit, and great for family gifts, excepting the 2nd Commandment violations (Lutherans, after all).

Reformed Baptist churches are confessionally reformed churches.

Anyway, my personal preference would go like this (in order):

1. Reformed Baptist (Confessional 1689)
2. Orthodox Presbyterian Church
3. Calvinistic Baptist (Non-Confessional / Non-1689 but still holding to the Doctrines of Grace, like John MacArthur for example)
4. Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
5. Conservative Baptist

Reformed Baptist churches are confessionally reformed churches.

Anyway, my personal preference would go like this (in order):

1. Reformed Baptist (Confessional 1689)
2. Orthodox Presbyterian Church
3. Calvinistic Baptist (Non-Confessional / Non-1689 but still holding to the Doctrines of Grace, like John MacArthur for example)
4. Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
5. Conservative Baptist
Situation can be a little different in other parts of the world (and country), Sean. I've attended "Reformed Baptist" churches that were not confessional in any sense but the name. My guess in one case was that an earlier pastor attempted Reformation, then a later pastor was far more evangelical, middle-of-the-road SBC in flavor, but was fine with the name and the LBC as an official, churchly document that he could just ignore. Lots of situations like this, sadly.

I’d attend a conservative Lutheran church (WELS or LCMS). Perhaps a traditional, conservative Anglican church, too. I couldn’t ever go back to a “contemporary” service.

Having visited HK twice on semester exchange, the first visit i went to IBC in the New Territories, and Kowloon International Baptist Church on the return. Both are thoroughly arminian; the latter is filled with persons merely visiting to learn English, and is much larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back