Noahic covenant and blood sausage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theological debate aside, honestly I think we could just paraphrase 1 Corinthians 11:14 on this one:

“Does not even nature itself teach us that blood sausage is disgusting?”

Blood is delicious. One of my favourite Korean foods is soup made from congealed blood. I'll grant that it looks revolting.

There's a lovely type of sausagey thing here made of intestines stuffed with noodles and blood.

German Blutwurst is also quite a treat.

I want to show you a picture of what some of us eat. It looks weird and that orange liquid is from oranges. It's a fruit. :cheers2:

Morning-Checklist.jpg

search

search

Much of the diet of the East and Third World is frankly repulsive not to mention undignified for man to partake in.........
Disgust is a very helpful emotion[/QUOTE
How do you feel about haggis? You probably know that authentic haggis cannot be imported into the USA because the FDA has ruled it “not fit for human consumption “. What one man finds repulsive another man finds delightsome. Personally I’d leave the blood pudding and haggis and go for those ocean insects called lobster, with drawn butter of course.

How do you feel about haggis? You probably know that authentic haggis cannot be imported into the USA because the FDA has ruled it “not fit for human consumption “. What one man finds repulsive another man finds delightsome. Personally I’d leave the blood pudding and haggis and go for those ocean insects called lobster, with drawn butter of course.

I love haggis and always have, even though I'm not remotely Scottish. When I was in Brazil in March, I finally got to try the Brazilian version: Buchada de bode. Delicious.

At the end of the day, it mostly just boils down to some people being more open to trying new things. There's not too much I won't try. Most Asian desserts repulse me, though. I can't handle the texture.

I wrote something about my culinary adventures in the Philippines recently.

I want to show you a picture of what some of us eat. It looks weird and that orange liquid is from oranges. It's a fruit. :cheers2:

Morning-Checklist.jpg

search

search
Pancakes with maple syrup are still my favourite thing. Nothing beats a good Canadian breakfast.

I don't have many inhibitions about food. I love seafood even though I'm from Ontario (maybe it's my Nova Scotian heritage). In Korea I have eaten a lot of seaweed, clams, shrimp, squid, octopus...

One Korean delicacy is raw fish. It's exremely good. You can also eat octopus so fresh it's still moving. (Just be sure to chew well or it'll get stuck in your throat.)

I don't care for bugs. If you like bugs (snails, silk worm pupae, etc.), that's fine, but the texture puts me off. I did once try a cracker made of mealworms, though, and I was impressed at how delicious it was.

Last edited:
There is a general equity in the law, however. If you find the notion of eating blood sausage disgusting don't eat it. Disgust is a very helpful emotion: there is nothing inherently irrational in it. The command against eating it in Acts 15 did stick out to me when reading through Acts recently. What is lost if we abstain from eating it? It's quite interesting how much writing has been produced defending the right to eat blood. Perhaps because of that niggling voice of conscience suggesting we shouldn't? What about drinking blood? Any of the blood eaters imbibe a nice glass of blood on a regular basis?

The notion of eating most so-called seafood is nauseating to me. Shrimp, mussels, crab, lobster: these are the insects of the sea. Fins and scales seems a good guide in this area.

The diet of Israel was a healthy one. You wouldn't lose anything by sticking to it. Just don't make it a matter of dogma. I don't consciously follow it. I was brought up on a Western diet and was never fond of seafood, even regular fish until I was a teenager. I have always been a fan of pork though :)

Much of the diet of the East and Third World is frankly repulsive not to mention undignified for man to partake in. I think there is much to commend abstaining from a lot of what is called food in the world- morally and health-wise.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

I love haggis and always have, even though I'm not remotely Scottish. When I was in Brazil in March, I finally got to try the Brazilian version: Buchada de bode. Delicious.

At the end of the day, it mostly just boils down to some people being more open to trying new things. There's not too much I won't try. Most Asian desserts repulse me, though. I can't handle the texture.

I wrote something about my culinary adventures in the Philippines recently.
Gee, you look like a normal enough guy, but pig face and chicken intestines? Just joking. I enjoyed reading your culinary adventures blog entry. And it really is wonderful that they eat all but the feathers.

Have you ever tried Korean rice cake (떡)? It comes in countless varieties. In my opinion it's wonderful, but apparently not many Westerners like the chewiness.

I may have -- it sounds familiar. I was thinking more of slimy desserts like the Filipino halo halo. I can handle chewy, but slimy just gets my gag reflex going.

With thanks to those who not only responded to the questions, but who entertained us with an eye-opening discussion of various foods (truly, while in all my travels I've always found some sort of local food that I could eat, I've concluded that most of what the world eats is nauseating. But I've always been closed-minded), I'd like to redirect to the non-food portion of my question: is the Noahic Covenant limited to not flooding the whole earth again? Or do the preceding terms continue in perpetuity? Must I kill every animal that spills human blood? I certainly see the usefulness and equity of the pre-Noahic terms, but are they properly part of that Covenant?
Thanks.

I disagree in regards to food. The notion that it comes down to being "more open to try new things" is modern nonsense. Some things are just obviously not to be eaten by civilised people.
Completely agree. I can't imagine why anyone would eat such foods like salad. Raw food? What kind of barbarians are we? Cantonese food is where it's at.

Fried black pudding with waffles is fantastic. You get the savoury from the black pudding combined with the sweet from the waffle. You get the crispy from the BP being fried combined with the softness of the waffle. Everything just comes together.

There's also a Filipino pork blood stew called Dinuguan that I'm also quite fond of.

Now, you're combining blood sausage with one of the Three Evil Foods - waffles. (The other two Evil Foods are pancakes and French toast.)

Tribal peoples in Africa often drain blood from their cows and mix with milk to sustain them. I think the Masai (sp?) are one such group that still does this. Horse soldiers on the steppes in ancient days did the same when they ran out of food.

Reason #56,854,998 not to set foot in Africa for any reason whatsoever.

Like pavlova. Whoever thought that up? Blech.
I’ve never heard of it so I googled it and it looks amazingly good. On the other hand our equivalent to BP seems to be scrapple, also savory, fried, and served with pancakes and syrup. There’s even a national scrapple day.

The question is: is the blood prohibition still in force? Were these terms spoken before He said "And I, behold, I establish my covenant...." part of that covenant? Obviously the Noahic covenant is still going--I keep seeing rainbows all over the place, reminding me of the promise, but is it lawful, especially in light of Paul's discourse on meats (all that is sold in the shambles...) to eat blood sausage? I would dearly love an excuse to NOT eat it when it's set before me, because it looks bad and tastes worse, but I would not for the world lay a prohibition on a brother's conscience that God has not first made.
Mark 7:19 ... last part: "(In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back