Noah's Ark found in Turkey? If so how will it impact the Genesis debates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there have been many people who have made similar claims, I'll remain skeptical. But it sure would be cool if the ark (or what's left of it) was found.

I look forward to more details especially the dimensions of what they have found. I hope they have some objective witnesses involved in their excavation so that if it truly is the ark they will have more credibility.

Genesis debates with non-Christians or Christians?

If with non-Christians, it wouldn't impact them at all. Even if we found the cross, crown of thorns, sandals, and garments of Christ, depraved minds will always find an excuse not to believe in His existence...

I'm extra skeptical when there is a limited supply of photos. If ark-hunters truly thought they had found something, they'd take hundreds and hundreds of photos, from all angles, both interior and exterior. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

If with non-Christians, it wouldn't impact them at all. Even if we found the cross, crown of thorns, sandals, and garments of Christ, depraved minds will always find an excuse not to believe in His existence...

Liberal Christians. Many of them deny Genesis as actual history.

The Sun is a pathetic rag and disgrace to Great Britain that has a bare-breasted woman on page 3 everyday. Why that was ever permitted in a daily "newspaper", I don't know.

They do report serious news and report news seriously, if simply, however.

There have been a number of supposed discoveries, on Mount Ararat and vicinity which have never led to any clear conclusions, maybe because archaeologists will be divided by fundamental presuppositions on their assessment of any of this kind of stuff (?)

It's unwise that anyone should try and prop their faith up with the uncertainties of archaeology, although it can be fascinating, maybe especially biblical archaeology, and we do see a general trend, as we might expect, of biblical truth coinciding to some extent with what is found in the ground and archaeological conclusions about it.

The Sun There have been a number of supposed discoveries, on Mount Ararat and vicinity which have never led to any clear conclusions, maybe because archaeologists will be divided by fundamental presuppositions on their assessment of any of this kind of stuff (?)

It's unwise that anyone should try and prop their faith up with the uncertainties of archaeology, although it can be fascinating, maybe especially biblical archaeology, and we do see a general trend, as we might expect, of biblical truth coinciding to some extent with what is found in the ground and archaeological conclusions about it.

Maybe I have missed some stuff over the years but I have only seen box like pictures from 1000 ft., supposed chunks of wood from the ark, or eyewitness testimony. I have never seen actual pictures or video footage from within a structure that is at 13,000 ft before. Those two facts, if true, are pretty interesting.

No faith propping here but, yes, it is always wonderful to have our faith emboldened by archeological evidence.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Here is a link to the FoxNews article which goes into much more detail but no video. The group's website seems to be frozen from too much traffic.

FOXNews.com - Has Noah's Ark Been Found on Turkish Mountaintop?

The Sun is a pathetic rag and disgrace to Great Britain that has a bare-breasted woman on page 3 everyday. Why that was ever permitted in a daily "newspaper", I don't know.

They do report serious news and report news seriously, if simply, however.

There have been a number of supposed discoveries, on Mount Ararat and vicinity which have never led to any clear conclusions, maybe because archaeologists will be divided by fundamental presuppositions on their assessment of any of this kind of stuff (?)

Well said. If memory serves the craft on Mt Ararat has been rumored to be the Ark for centuries. The problem is that it's usually under many feet of snow and ice which obviously makes it impossible to get to. It has also apparently been split in half since there was an earthquake of that part of the mountain in the past. The Turkish Gov't also doesn't let just anyone on the mountain making any real scientific inquiry tenuous. It would be neat to discover Noah's Ark, but it shouldn't dictate our faith. But, a definitive discovery of the Ark would go a long way in silenting the Nay sayers of the Judeo-Christian faith.

I don't expect that this "discovery" would make much difference one way or another. It certainly won't shake my faith whether it is the ark, or not.

But remember, "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "
Luke 16:31.

If the ark were to be found, it could be of great encouragement to us. So many people dismiss Genesis 1-11 as "myth", and when archaeology gives evidence to Scripture being true, I can only see that as being a good thing.

That being said, I am somewhat skeptical, but I also am always hoping optimistically.
:D

Won't they know for sure when they find all that animal poo in the bottom of the boat? Grin.

In my thinking, if the creator of the universe says there was a flood, there was a flood.

I'm extra skeptical when there is a limited supply of photos. If ark-hunters truly thought they had found something, they'd take hundreds and hundreds of photos, from all angles, both interior and exterior. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Here is the Fox News slideshow of the find.

Fox News Slideshow of Noah's Ark

Yeah, those are the pictures I saw. They're not impressive--certainly not what you'd expect as the evidence if someone had found the ark. I'd expect a much better sample.

Even if it's not the ark, I'm very curious to know what it is that they've found up there, and why it's there.

No faith propping here but, yes, it is always wonderful to have our faith emboldened by archeological evidence.
I agree, Traci.
When my kids were little used to read to them about expeditions by John Morris and others, and we would look out eagerly for any follow-up news. I'd be thrilled if this turned out to be genuine.
We know it won't change anything or convince anyone that wasn't convinced before, and our faith doesn't need it, -but just think - the possibility of handling the timber Noah handled and standing where he stood! Doesn't that fire your imagination?!?

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

....that's exactly what it would do - not prop our faith, but to embolden it is different

One question that must be addressed is a practical one, if Noah's Ark still exists then why didn't Noah, his family and descendants cannibalize the wood to build other structures? I would. I would have built something and used it to stay warm.

If the Ark of the Covenant exists then why didn't those who captured it, melt it down into some useful instead of a gold plated box?

One question that must be addressed is a practical one, if Noah's Ark still exists then why didn't Noah, his family and descendants cannibalize the wood to build other structures? I would. I would have built something and used it to stay warm.

If the Ark of the Covenant exists then why didn't those who captured it, melt it down into some useful instead of a gold plated box?

That's way too practical.

There must have been plenty of wood floating round. The Ark was obviously Clyde-built and taking it apart was probably more bother than it was worth. Or maybe they used it as a base for a while.
On the other Ark I have no thoughts, - except, pagans would quite possibly perceive more worth in a cult object of any kind than a lump of gold. they might have attributed to it supernatural power they hoped to turn to their own ends in some way. But anyway, who said it did still exist?

I'm inclined to believe God's providence has precluded us from ever finding these things, but I can't give you chapter-and-verse on that -- I just suspect it to be true.

I'm inclined to believe God's providence has precluded us from ever finding these things, but I can't give you chapter-and-verse on that -- I just suspect it to be true.

I agree. I surmise that all different types of verifiable artifacts might undermine the sole authority of scripture. Also, they lead to idol worship.

I've thought the same thing too. Plus, it does say that Noah and the fam were living in tents after the flood. I would assume you would need to get some wood to hold up a tent and the ark would have been a perfect source for that.

Whatever that is it looks to be in rather good nick to be the ark.

Was the Flood finished just the other day?

If someone does discover "Noah's Ark" they should do all the necessary tests and let various independent archaeologists look at it before they make announcements that they have discovered it, because its been "discovered" a few times already.

God may allow archaeologicts discover some very interesting biblical finds, if He wants to. But our confidence is in God's Word not the uncertain pronouncements of archaeology! God can let archaeologists discover what He wants!

E.g. this is reputed to be the ossuary/bone box of Joseph Caiaphas the High Priest that condemned our Lord and struck him on the face, and the second picture is of Herod the Great's sarcophagus - according to current archaeology. This was the man who tried to kill Jesus when He was an infant. But the current words and assessments of even the best archaeologists are subject to change and reassessment:-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back