Noah's Ark found in Turkey? If so how will it impact the Genesis debates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm inclined to believe God's providence has precluded us from ever finding these things, but I can't give you chapter-and-verse on that -- I just suspect it to be true.

I agree. I surmise that all different types of verifiable artifacts might undermine the sole authority of scripture. Also, they lead to idol worship.
I can't exactly disagree with that - but of course it wasn't possible for there to be a clean sweep from the world of everything that could excite by close Biblical association. I mean that it's not just artefacts, there's things like the Sea of Galilee for example. I think I would be as reluctant to say that the finding of the Ark was contrary to God's providence, as to say it had actually probably happened.
It'll be as God wills, but I just think it would be so cool if it was found. :p

Pictures of previous possible Arks and plenty more pics of possible Arks and places where it may be in "the mountains of Urartu" are available from

http://www.noahsarksearch.com/

This whole area seems to be mired in controversy even among those trained archaeologists and others who spend their time looking for the Ark. I think some of them have a strange view of evidential apologetics whereby they think that if they discover the Ark, lots of people/the World is going to be converted.

Personally I suspect Noah and his sons used the wood from the ark to build homes for themselves. There probably wouldn't have been a whole lot of other good wood available to them at the time.

At least, that's what I would have done in their situation. Why leave all that perfectly good wood sitting there doing nothing?

Personally I suspect Noah and his sons used the wood from the ark to build homes for themselves. There probably wouldn't have been a whole lot of other good wood available to them at the time.

At least, that's what I would have done in their situation. Why leave all that perfectly good wood sitting there doing nothing?

Why would they do that? Why not just live in the Ark itself? I think you are thinking too much like a 21st century person. NO WAY a person in that ancient environment, would expend the energy to tear the ark apart, and build homes, when the Ark itself was already a wonderful, water-tight structure, which was designed to live in...

Why would they do that? Why not just live in the Ark itself? I think you are thinking too much like a 21st century person. NO WAY a person in that ancient environment, would expend the energy to tear the ark apart, and build homes, when the Ark itself was already a wonderful, water-tight structure, which was designed to live in...

it would stink like two of every animal in the world.

:ditto: Not to mention is seems they were tent dwellers at the time and comfortable with that. Plus they were told to basically scatter and be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth. They weren't sticking around on that mountain top as Daniel said. They were on the move for good pasture land etc.

My ditto was to Damon, but Andres makes a good point. :D

Why are they letting their girlfriends wander round a precious archaeological site?

They seem to be experts at knocking on wood.

If with non-Christians, it wouldn't impact them at all. Even if we found the cross, crown of thorns, sandals, and garments of Christ, depraved minds will always find an excuse not to believe in His existence...
Yup, and they would explain it away by any means necessary in their minds.

Which was also on a mountain where it would be difficult to farm and grow grapes, which they did after they landed. At least I would think it would be--I could be wrong, since I think a lot like a 21st century person. =)

Which was also on a mountain where it would be difficult to farm and grow grapes, which they did after they landed. At least I would think it would be--I could be wrong, since I think a lot like a 21st century person. =)

Except more than likely the mountain was not at it's current elevation...

Dr. Price is a dispensational scholar with an impressive number of books dealing with Biblical archaeology. He holds a ThM from Dallas Seminary and a PhD in Middle Eastern Studies from the University of Texas (Austin). Obviously his pretrib bias inclines him to chase after some silly things ("the imminent plan to build the last days temple"), but I would not rank him as naive or credulous. If he says that it is a hoax, I would tend to hold off on cheering too loudly until all of the facts come out.

Ready to Build: The Imminent Plan to Build the Last Days Temple (with Thomas Ice) - (Harvest House Publishers) (June 1992) ISBN 0-89081-956-4
In Search of Temple Treasures: The Lost Ark and the Last Days - (Harvest House Publishers) (1 October 1994) ISBN 1-56507-127-1
Secrets of the Dead Sea Scrolls - (Harvest House Publishers) (September 1996) ISBN 1-56507-454-8
The Stones Cry Out: What Archaeology Reveals About the Truth of the Bible - (Harvest House Publishers) (December 1997) ISBN 1-56507-640-0
Jerusalem in Prophecy: God's Stage for the Final Drama - (Harvest House Publishers) (July 1998) ISBN 1-56507-783-0
The Coming Last Days Temple - (Harvest House Publishers) (30 November 1999) ISBN 1-56507-901-9
Unholy War: America, Israel and Radical Islam - (Harvest House Publishers) (February 2002) ISBN 0-7369-0823-4
Fast Facts on the Middle East Conflict - (Harvest House Publishers) (June 2003) ISBN 0-7369-1142-1
Charts of Bible Prophecy (with H. Wayne House) - (Zondervan) (November 2002) ISBN 0-310-21896-9
The Battle for the Last Days' Temple: Politics, Prophecy, and the Temple Mount - (Harvest House Publishers) (April 2004) ISBN 0-7369-1318-1
The Popular Encyclopedia of Bible Prophecy: Over 140 Topics from the World's Foremost Prophecy Experts (with Ed Hindson) - (Harvest House Publishers) (October 2004) ISBN 0-7369-1352-1
Searching for the Ark of the Covenant: Latest Discoveries and Research - (Harvest House Publishers) (February 2005) ISBN 0-7369-1052-2
The Temple and Bible Prophecy: A Definitive Look at its Past, Present, and Future - (Harvest House Publishers) (2005) ISBN 0-7369-1387-4
"Searching for the Original Bible" (Harvest House Publishers) (2008) ISBN
"Ezekiel, Daniel," in "The Popular Commentary on Bible Prophecy." Edited by Tim LaHaye and Ed Hindson (Harvest House Publishers) (2007) ISBN

Over here we have a somewhat cynical catchphrase: it must be true I read it in the Sun

This sort of story I have heard before. I would be a bit cynical. Would wood not have rotted away after that length of time?
How big an altar did Noah build? It would have came form the ark or at least a part of the ark and I would have thought the rest of the wood would have gone towards some sort of shelter.

I say we put a big wall around it, charge $20 a head, and use the funds to continue building up Noah's Mega-Bibleland and Amusement Park.

Except more than likely the mountain was not at it's current elevation...

I was thinking more of the soil being rocky, but I suppose that could be wrong too.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

I say we put a big wall around it, charge $20 a head, and use the funds to continue building up Noah's Mega-Bibleland and Amusement Park.

Or we could sell pieces of it as relics.

Speaking of relics, I had nuns in grade school who had (purported) tiny bones of "saints" in little cases that were pinned to their habits under the big white bibs. I wonder if they used pill-splitters to slice and dice those bones so everybody in the convent got a piece?

Speaking of relics, I had nuns in grade school who had (purported) tiny bones of "saints" in little cases that were pinned to their habits under the big white bibs. I wonder if they used pill-splitters to slice and dice those bones so everybody in the convent got a piece?

I've heard that relics are like the loaves and fishes. They multiply, so even after you distribute all of them, there's still more left!

expect to see people selling "genuine anointed Noah's ark gopher wood fragments, guaranteed (with your seed offering) to destroy the "floods" in your life"

Of the hundreds of thousands of ships that have run aground, how many more than 300 years old have any of us here seen? The oldest wooden structure in the world is a Japanese temple 1400 years old that is constantly tended. We're talking 5000 years.

This is a bummer, and these are supposed to be Christians. I am confused though, it seems the group may not be the hoaxsters but some Turks who have a cottage industry around Ark expeditions.

Tim, wouldn't freezing temps preserve wood as it does other things? Just wondering. The thing I read said they found some 4800yr old wood by the Black Sea. So is the wood really that old or not? Actually, I don't care anyway. You just can't trust anyone on anything. :(

Traci I think that Black sea stuff is underwater in an area where oxygen can't get in. The National Geographic did a story about it with Ballard the explorer guy. If wood were immediately covered in ice and stayed that way that's one thing, but what would be the chances?

This is a bummer, and these are supposed to be Christians. I am confused though, it seems the group may not be the hoaxsters but some Turks who have a cottage industry around Ark expeditions.

Tim, wouldn't freezing temps preserve wood as it does other things? Just wondering. The thing I read said they found some 4800yr old wood by the Black Sea. So is the wood really that old or not? Actually, I don't care anyway. You just can't trust anyone on anything. :(

It's not a bummer. Even if the real Ark was found, it would not convert the World, and we should not use it to strengthen our faith, but we should use God's Word. It could be declared to be not Noah's Ark after all.

By all means take an interest in biblical archaeology. It's no doubt fascinating. But try to remember that these are the opinions of mere men, and our confidence is in God's Word not fallible archaeology, however compelling. The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to strengthen faith.

The better biblical archaeology books have an introduction about the relation between the "evidence" of archaeology and faith.
I think we should be very dubious about putting too much faith in archaeology - even the most incotrpvertible - as against God's Word.

Even the best archaeology is fallible, unlike God's word

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

..........All biblical archaeology does is give general support to the claim that God's Word already infallibly makes that it is a historical book, from and rooted in the culture and history it claims to come from, and that it is generally reliable and trustworthy.

There are already hundreds of accounts from around the world that generally back up the story of Noah and the Flood, but that doesn't mean you have to believe the biblical account. Ultimately only the Spirit of God rather than archaeology can take away sinful prejudice against God's Word.

What about all those Christians who lived before biblical archaeology got going? What did they prop their faith up with but God's Word which is far more sure than finite, fallible and fallen interpretations of bits of wood or a whole boat.

"Blessed are those that have not seen and yet believe" said Jesus to thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back