Non-USA alternative to websites likes TGC/Desiring God etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacabiila

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi,
Are there such websites from the rest of the world, offering theological articles and more current events style pieces? Preferably British?
thanow

I don't know of things that are free; Evangelical Times and Evangelicals Now might fit what you describe, if you are willing to pay the subscription,

Doesn't TGC have numerous out of country franchises so to speak? I have found them, especially the Australian one, more reliable, less conscience binding and less political, so far anyway...
I've seen a huge amount of wokeness from the Australian TGC in articles shared by friends. Would not recommend.

In my opinion, save the rare exception, these websites and organizations are cancers. Most of the time, they are parachurch organizations that have themselves confused with the institutional Church, and usually end up effecting the theological and moral demise of entire denominations. Just look at the damage TGC and Acts 29 have done over here. The best thing for you to do, if you are able, is to buy books by men that have been dead for at least 100 years. You won't get current events in them, but who needs current events when they are presented and interpreted through godless ideologies?

Last edited:
In my opinion, save the rare exception, these websites and organizations are cancers. Most of the time, they are parachurch organizations that have themselves confused with the institutional Church, and usually end up effecting the theological and moral demise of entire denominations. Just look at the damage TGC and Acts 29 has done over here. The best thing for you to do, if you are able, is to buy books by men that have been dead for at least 100 years. You won't get current events in them, but who needs current events when they are presented and interpreted through godless ideologies?
I think this is good advice. I can think of a few men in our own day that are absolutely worth reading, like Joel Beeke, but oftentimes their best work is in pointing us back to another era in the church.

Hi,
Are there such websites from the rest of the world, offering theological articles and more current events style pieces? Preferably British?
thanow

While probably already known, the Banner of Truth offers a wonderful print magazine and also posts edifying articles available online here: https://banneroftruth.org/us/category/resources/articles/. Though the focus isn't on current events (i.e. news), everything I've read is timely and relevant to the times we are living in. Might not perfectly scratch the itch of what you are seeking, but definitely bookmark worthy.

I like to read (when I have time) Banner of Truth, Media Gratiae, Ligonier, and the sort. The arrogance of TGC clothed in faux humility turned me off a long time ago. I still occasionally pop on there to see what direction the wind is blowing. Recently I read an article about "Whataboutism" and how it is an intellectually lazy argument. Of course when your preferred side is the one guilty of slighting and wronging others, you will not want someone pointing out your hypocrisy. But it was a beneficial read because it helped me to develop a line of argument called "Whatifism." Basically, it is applying the golden rule to the other side of any argument (revolutionary, right?). "What if" I treat your side with condescension and contempt? "What if" I devise a strategy to keep you perpetually guilty before your fellow man? I will make no reference to their error, I will just apply their own standards/actions to diametrically opposite circumstances and ask them how they like it.
Anyway, as to the OP, I also would like to see if there are other sites (other than BOT) in other countries.

We launched a new blog that I am over-seeing. We hope to make it into a more Reformed TGC as time progresses. There is a lot planned for it, such as interviews with translators and authors, articles tackling issues facing the church and the Christian life, and book reviews from other publishers. The blog's goal is not to solely promote our books but to have a place where people can read and feel comfortable knowing it is from a distinctly Reformed worldview.

If anyone has any suggestions about what they would like to see on our blog, do not hesitate to reach out.

Edit: To @Taylor Sexton's advice, "buy books by men that have been dead for at least 100 years," we also adapt chapters into articles from men and women that have long been in glory. His advice is sound.

Last edited:
We launched a new blog that I am over-seeing. We hope to make it into a more Reformed TGC as time progresses. There is a lot planned for it, such as interviews with translators and authors, articles tackling issues facing the church and culture, and book reviews from other publishers. The blog's goal is not to solely promote our books but to have a place where people can read and feel comfortable knowing it is from a distinctly Reformed worldview.

If anyone has any suggestions about what they would like to see on our blog, do not hesitate to reach out.

Thank you. I have it marked.

Just look at the damage TGC and Acts 29 has done over here.
I am genuinely interested Taylor, what damage has Acts 29 done? I ask because a good friend promotes Acts 29 churches here. I have been concerned because 'reformed' churches that I know of tend to be less confessional when they become Acts 29 churches.

My suspicion is that Acts 29 churches are ones that want to engage contemporary culture. This makes them prone to 'woke' influences.

I don't want to derail the thread so I won't prolong a discussion. I am just wondering if my concerns have been justified?

I am genuinely interested Taylor, what damage has Acts 29 done? I ask because a good friend promotes Acts 29 churches here. I have been concerned because 'reformed' churches that I know of tend to be less confessional when they become Acts 29 churches.

My suspicion is that Acts 29 churches are ones that want to engage contemporary culture. This makes them prone to 'woke' influences.

I don't want to derail the thread so I won't prolong a discussion. I am just wondering if my concerns have been justified?
I assume you mean besides Mark Driscoll?

I missed "Non-USA" in your request. I suppose our blog suggestion would still be relevant as we are not specifically looking to tackle current events in America, but rather the universal church.

We launched a new blog that I am over-seeing. We hope to make it into a more Reformed TGC as time progresses. There is a lot planned for it, such as interviews with translators and authors, articles tackling issues facing the church and the Christian life, and book reviews from other publishers. The blog's goal is not to solely promote our books but to have a place where people can read and feel comfortable knowing it is from a distinctly Reformed worldview.

Edit: To @Taylor Sexton's advice, "buy books by men that have been dead for at least 100 years," we also adapt chapters into articles from men and women that have long been in glory. His advice is sound.

Thanks for sharing; I'm excited to see where this endeavor will lead!

Here's one practical bit of feedback: when I look at your site on my laptop, the full top half of the screen is dominated by the banner (even while scrolling). It seems a bit overbearing - perhaps the menu/banner could take up a bit less space while scrolling so it's easier to see the content you're looking to highlight? :)

Thanks for sharing; I'm excited to see where this endeavor will lead!

Here's one practical bit of feedback: when I look at your site on my laptop, the full top half of the screen is dominated by the banner (even while scrolling). It seems a bit overbearing - perhaps the menu/banner could take up a bit less space while scrolling so it's easier to see the content you're looking to highlight? :)
Thanks for the feedback. I think I resolved it. Let me know if it is any better.

Sorry to derail the thread.

Granted, Acts 29 probably hasn't done as much direct damage as TGC has, since TGC has a massive pen with which to write. I mainly just threw Acts 29 in with TGC because they are all the same people (which is another issue, in my opinion). In general, though, your assessment is pretty much what I was getting at. At a fundamental level, any parachurch organization that begins to behave like a denomination (and Acts 29 is often mistaken for one, and really behaves like one) is bad news. These kinds of organizations tend to have no accountability.

Other than that, I could wax eloquent about the individual problems:
  • Matt Chandler, who is the president of this organization, has proven to be an unmitigated disaster, both theologically and politically.
  • Acts 29 gives massive platforms to men and women just like Chandler.
  • The governing board is hypocritical in their push for racial inclusion, as there is not a single "POC" among the board's officers (unless you count the Asian, whose status as a "POC" is disputed, depending on which communist needs their backup at any given moment).
  • The organization has contributed to the rapid proliferation of globalist ideology and obsession with racial issues, most of which are fabricated and founded upon a godless worldview. This is otherwise known as "Wokeness."
  • The organization itself has led many young people to believe that Reformed theology is just the so-called "five points" while having nothing to do with personal piety, ecclesiology, and sacramentology. (I was one of these young people.) This is why there can be Presbyterian churches that are Acts 29 churches. There is one right down the road from me.
  • Although they are often touted as a strongly complementarian organization, I question the practical application results of their teaching on the matter. Their incessant stressing of "servant-leadership" has, in my experience ( I was a member of an Acts 29 church for years), led to an overemphasis on the servant part and not on the leadership part, thus resulting in an emasculated male membership. For example, in the aforementioned church, I heard many sermons scolding men for this or that perceived deficiency, yet not one sermon on a wife's submission to her own husband in the Lord. And I know this is the case in many Acts 29 churches.
In the end, I think TGC is still more directly dangerous and damaging, but these organizations are all in cahoots with each other.

I think this is good advice. I can think of a few men in our own day that are absolutely worth reading, like Joel Beeke, but oftentimes their best work is in pointing us back to another era in the church.
Agreed on Dr. Beeke; he's fantastic. That said, the draw to Beeke's work is that he focuses on the guys who've been dead for over a 100 years, that Taylor mentioned. ;)

Granted, Acts 29 probably hasn't done as much direct damage as TGC has, since TGC has a massive pen with which to write. I mainly just threw Acts 29 in with TGC because they are all the same people (which is another issue, in my opinion). In general, though, your assessment is pretty much what I was getting at. At a fundamental level, any parachurch organization that begins to behave like a denomination (and Acts 29 is often mistaken for one, and really behaves like one) is bad news. These kinds of organizations tend to have no accountability.
Thank you. It shows my concerns were well founded. Here in New Zealand some churches describe themselves as:
  • Real
  • Relevant
  • Reformed
My concern is often the 'relevant' eats up the 'Reformed' !!
I assume you mean besides Mark Driscoll?
Yes. The churches I know in the Acts 29 movement would distance themselves from Driscoll, but continue his flawed methodology.

Some good suggestions above. But just to stir the pot a bit ( :stirpot: ), I'm going to update the good Dr. Johnson here:

"It is observed that 'a corrupt society has many laws;' I know not whether it is not equally true, that 'an ignorant age has many [blogs].' When the treasures of ancient knowledge lie unexamined, and original authors are neglected and forgotten, compilers and plagiaries are encouraged, who give us again what we had before, and grow great by setting before us what our own sloth had hidden from our view."

- Samuel Johnson (The Idler, No. 85, adapted by "Andrew35")

• The governing board is hypocritical in their push for racial inclusion, as there is not a single "POC" among the board's officers (unless you count the Asian, whose status as a "POC" is disputed, depending on which communist needs their backup at any given moment).
Where do you find the list of the board officers? I can only find the board members, council members, and staff leadership which are all more diverse groups than this.

Where do you find the list of the board officers? I can only find the board members, council members, and staff leadership which are all more diverse groups than this.
On their “About” page, you can see the Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary.

Chandler is clearly a white supremacist, since he should have gladly deferred his presidential power to the black man on the board. Why should a white man be President when you have a perfectly good black man right there? Or, maybe the guy was only a “black six” instead of a “black nine.” Maybe if the poor guy had scored higher on Chandler’s black rating system—which isn’t at all racist!—he would have achieved a higher position in the board.

What oppression!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back