Normative vs Regulative Principle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that seems to be a good place to end this particular thread. The original question has been answered. Logic demonstrations can be done under their own topic heading.

Originally Posted by P. F. Pugh
Pastor Wallace has said all that I meant to say on this point, so I will say no more.
This is what he wrote:

Originally Posted by JP Wallace
that which is warranted by command or inference has the force of a commandment, and ought not to be neglected.
He may qualify if he meant something different but as it reads it leaves no room for liberty to leave undone or mere permission to do.

Taking up Rev. Winzer's suggestion let me be clear - his (Rev. Winzer's) interpretation is the correct one.

Philip your original question was this,

"I would also add to this my own question of whether there could be practices that are warranted in Scripture but not commanded. That is to say, practices suggested or allowed in Scripture but not required."

To which I answered by showing that there are practices in Scripture which are not commanded per se (quoting from WCF and BCF) but that these practices may still have warrant and thus have the force of commands.

Anything which is warranted is as if it was commanded even though the warrant may be drawn not from explicit command but by drawing good and necessary consequence.

Furthermore any practice thus warranted (by good and necessary consequence being drawn or by explicit command) must not be omitted and is required.

If a practice cannot be so warranted (by drawing good and necessary consequence or explicit command) it should be excluded.

My point about 'most or all of those things are required' was allowing for occasional elements of worship (Lord's Supper and Baptism) and also to allow some leeway for interpretations of such things as collecting tithes and offerings during public worship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back