Norton AntiVirus Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastorway

Puritan Board Senior
any computer gurus out there who can help me?

My Norton will not update the virus definitions. Their support directed me to completely remove it and reinstall. I did and nothing changed.

The real problem is that with the Norton acting up it won't allow me to log into any websites, forums, or even check my email online. I had to borrow a computer to sign on to the PB here to even post.

Any suggestions???

Phillip the Phrustrated

I don't know what computer you are using or what operating system. If you are using windows xp it has checkpoints which you can return to when your system was working right. It is an integreted type of program which saves your program and system settings when you make changes in your system, for instance adding a new program. Many times adding new software can affect already installed software. In windows xp the "go back" program is found under the maintenance menu item in the contorl panel.

Phillp I sympathize with you and hope you find a solution. Its only a matter of time before whatever tech support you are using will tell you to wipe your hard drive and reload everything. (This could be termed the final solution :barfy: )

[Edited on 3-22-2005 by lwadkins]

The real "final solution" is a new computer. You could go with Dell or Gateway and they'll switch it out for you every few years. It'll cost you, though. I'm almost ready to do it. my system is okay but it's made of components and when I tried to install Windows Service Pack 2, my computer had a nervous breakdown!

Phillip,

Norton is known for its nasty inability to be truly uninstalled. There is a tool that deletes all registry references to Norton so you can reinstall it fresh.

I'll send you the ZIP file in an email.

Well...well...Well?

I hope Fred was able to solve your problem. I've never had a problem with Norton, and I've been using it for years. Usually if I go into the program and turn off varying aspects of it I don't have a problem circumventing it's protection...I do do this occasionally if my computer is runnig unusually slow and I feel like I don't need it to check every website I want to upload. I know, I live dangeriously, I also sometimes drive without my seatbelt on.

I would think, though I don't know, that if you uninstalled at least most of Norton, while you won't be able to re-install it you should still be able to get online. But then, what do I know, all my computer knowledge comes from osmoses (and hands on experience ):down:

I know some people love Norton, other's hate it. Personally, I used Macaffee once, and once was enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back