not posting on the sabbath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Leaving aside the question of posting on the sabbath. It raises the question of not posting on the Monday Morning! I logged on to PuritanBoard this morning to find myself unable to post - because it was the Sabbath in some other part of the world?

Precisely whos Sabbath are we following here?:think:

Having recently logged on to NORAD Santa :oops:I think the "day" starts in the Aleutian (?) Islands and progresses to New Zealand. before evewntually reaching the UK.

If your conscience is bothered then don't post. For that matter, don't log onto the internet - period. My conscience is not bothered, although I do try to avoid threads that do not center on God. On the Lord's Day, I use the PB to enhance my meditation on God, so as to honor His sabbath.

It sounds like a technological problem, Herald. I've always been able to post on the Sabbath if I wished however. It seems to start at 9pm Pacific Time, that's 12am Eastern.

When I lived in Okinawa, I was mindful of the fact that others were still in their Sabbath even when mine was over. It also meant that the board was in "Sabbath mode" after I had already started mine.

-----Added 1/12/2009 at 09:20:10 EST-----

It sounds like a technological problem, Herald. I've always been able to post on the Sabbath if I wished however. It seems to start at 9pm Pacific Time, that's 12am Eastern.

That's correct and it runs until 3 am EST. It pretty much covers CONUS.

I have had no problem posting when you guys had sabbath and I did not and I am nearly half way around the world.

Leaving aside the question of posting on the sabbath. It raises the question of not posting on the Monday Morning! I logged on to PuritanBoard this morning to find myself unable to post - because it was the Sabbath in some other part of the world?

Precisely whos Sabbath are we following here?:think:

Having recently logged on to NORAD Santa :oops:I think the "day" starts in the Aleutian (?) Islands and progresses to New Zealand. before evewntually reaching the UK.

You must have been trying to post in one of the forums that is restricted on the Lord's Day - not all are. And as for a standard to set... well, it has to be set somehow, and what the administration has done is set it for the bulk of the board membership, who are in North America.

Rich has addressed the timing the script kicks in and out. Also, in addition to closing certain forums some moderators may step on a thread that is inappropriate for the Lord's day to steer it in a worthwhile direction or ask that discussion wait until the Lord's day is over. Everyone's consideration in this regard is appreciated.

I may read the Board on the Sabbath, but I do not post. I am still working through the idea of even turning the computer on during the Sabbath. We do not watch television, eat in restaurants, conduct commerce, or any other worldly thing, but I turn on my computer. I believe you should pray and let your conscience tell you.

I just want to get the hours down so I may take a vacation from the PB during them. So it's Midnight Saturday until 3am Monday morning?

I believe that, especially for the moderators' sake, so they can also have a break from moderating, that it is prudent to close down posting on the board for the hours that are the Lord's Day in the areas that the mods reside...

Don't believe the mods are meaning to be legalistic here.

I just threw that out there for consideration if the time ever comes. I am pretty sure it was a poll some time ago before a decision was made. If there is ever time it's revisited I'd change my vote, not for my conscience but for others. It "seems" to me that those with stronger "consciences" on the matter are more easily bothered by those without. As such I would seek to respect them by eliminating Sunday posts. You could say they need not come here but I don't think that's going to happen as long as it's open, and what if the person is a mod or admin and they feel compelled to come here to keep watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back