Now this is the type of Christian I hope I can become

Status
Not open for further replies.
8:00pm
11:00pm
The O'Reilly Factor
"œThe Purpose Driven Life" helped Atlanta hostage Ashley Smith through her ordeal. Author Rick Warren tells you how the book could help you! (cc)

This is me not commenting.:book2:

Originally posted by maxdetail
8:00pm
11:00pm
The O'Reilly Factor
"œThe Purpose Driven Life" helped Atlanta hostage Ashley Smith through her ordeal. Author Rick Warren tells you how the book could help you! (cc)

This is me not commenting.:book2:

Oh, great! I have just one question for Mr. Warren: What is your god? Almighty God or the not-so Almighty Dollar?:mad:

He's certainly not recommending the Bible now, is he???:2cents:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
CNN did a two-hour special last night on Rick Warren and The Purpose Driven Life. It did include a critique by John MacArthur. It also attempted to trace the history of "purpose driven" theology all the way back to the Pilgrims! :banghead:

I actually saw that. I flipped into it before I went to bed the other evening.:um:

In Brother Warren's defense, he wasn't on Fox to use the recent event to promote his book. It was all Fox's doing. They were using the recent event as an excuse to replay an interview from Dec 17, 2004. So it was Fox whoring for ratings points and not Rick Warren plugging the book that is 'flying off the shelves'.

As for me, I'm just going to keep reciting the Prayer of Jabez til this all blows over. :candle:

Rick Warren - Not that Guy!?

Originally posted by OS_X
God worked well before Sproul, Lloyd-Jones, Spurgeon or any of our wonderful men of the reformed faith were born...

Despite Warren's philosophy, I do believe He's a brother in the Lord. And the Lord has used his material, in spite of the errors, to bring a whole new set of folks into considering the Christian faith (and some TO faith). We say that the Lord doesn't need us, but to consider it an honor when He does use us. What about when He uses others, who, though they don't hold the same theological convictions and traditions, nevertheless still serve the same God as we do, albeit imperfectly ??

:ditto:

The book ain't perfect, but it ain't all wrong either. Warren isn't perfect, but neither am I. We're sojourners passing through this troubled world... sinners saved by grace.

:bigsmile:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
CNN did a two-hour special last night on Rick Warren and The Purpose Driven Life. It did include a critique by John MacArthur. It also attempted to trace the history of "purpose driven" theology all the way back to the Pilgrims! :banghead:

Here is a statement by MacArthur on his CNN appearance.

My "favorite" was: "When David said, 'The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want,' why did he say that? Well, because David was a shepherd...Today, I don't think it's any less appropriate for the businessman to say, 'The Lord is my CEO' or 'The Lord is my manager.' You can't just assume terminology today is understandable. I work very hard at being a translator." :banghead:

Originally posted by JasonGoodwin
Oh, great! I have just one question for Mr. Warren: What is your god? Almighty God or the not-so Almighty Dollar?:mad:

Just as a note (and I think someone already mentioned it), Warren has given back to his church all of his usual salary from his church several times over and only takes in money from royalties on books. In addition, he gives away money pretty freely.

Money isn't his motive. I believe he's a brother in the Lord and if you read his writings, he's really got a heart for people (unlike some of the folks who carry the name 'reformed' or 'calvinistic' that I've come into contact with) - his pragmatism and methodology are the major issues.

PDL, like any other 'tool' made by men, is fallible, imperfect, but God can still and does still work through those tools, even beyond their mistakes.

Originally posted by OS_X
Originally posted by JasonGoodwin

Just as a note (and I think someone already mentioned it), Warren has given back to his church all of his usual salary from his church several times over and only takes in money from royalties on books. In addition, he gives away money pretty freely.

Money isn't his motive. I believe he's a brother in the Lord and if you read his writings, he's really got a heart for people (unlike some of the folks who carry the name 'reformed' or 'calvinistic' that I've come into contact with) - his pragmatism and methodology are the major issues.

PDL, like any other 'tool' made by men, is fallible, imperfect, but God can still and does still work through those tools, even beyond their mistakes.

I understand that, Kerry. The same thing could be said about the Puritans. As much as they sought to rightly divide the Word of Truth (2 Tim 2:15, which, by the way, is my favorite verse in the whole of Scripture), they weren't without shortcomings. They all knew about Man's Total Depravity, and they all knew that if it wasn't for Almighty God saving them from Death and Eternal Punishment, they would be nothing and also subject to His wrath.

The problem is that we're talking here about a writer who has a Doctorate in Ministry from Fuller Theological Seminary. I have heard that the theology they teach is a bit suspect. (If anyone can back me up on this rumor with actual facts, please do so.) I am not asking Warren to be perfect. I would just prefer if he would not have further erased the line between Truth and Error (which he did in such glaring fashion in his book).

As for Ashley Smith, I pray that she matures in her walk in Christ to move away from that book and to study Scripture exclusively. The Purpose Driven Life should not be used as the standard by which all Christians are to live. Rather, I would recommend (if some feels so compelled to read something other than the Bible) The Pilgrim's Progress. John Bunyan did not cut any corners when he wrote that book. It certainly was not for financial gain. Nevertheless, it was quite humbling when I read it. I can't say I felt the same way about PDL.

Not trying to be harsh, just giving my :2cents: worth. :pray2:

I would recommend (if some feels so compelled to read something other than the Bible) The Pilgrim's Progress. John Bunyan did not cut any corners when he wrote that book. It certainly was not for financial gain. Nevertheless, it was quite humbling when I read it.

I would also recomment the confessions...

I have heard two reports today about "shocking revelations" that are in this hostage lady's new book. It turns out that while she was captured in her own house...she gave her captor some crystal meth she had left over. No mention yet as to whether that was Purpose Driven or not but it sure seems like an odd plan to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back