Number of Posts or Number of Edifying Posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
When I first joined the PB, I thought how fun it would be to increase vastly the number of posts I wrote, so that I could be seen to be a great contributor. That is, of course, utter vanity. And by saying that, I do not mean to disparage in the slightest the system of grades that we have here (Freshman, Sophomore, etc.), as it is the PB's way of thanking loquacious contributors.

I have instead shifted my vanity to the number of thanks I receive. Now, this vanity can, of course, be a great deal more subtle, since it can be cloaked in an aura of edification. However, though vanity can still be present, it is still a better barometer, in my opinion, than the number of posts written (and no disparagement to Andrew Myers is meant!) as to whether a person is contributing positively to the conversations that happen.

Maybe I shouldn't even be talking about this, as it might make everyone self-conscious about their own posts too much. And there are certainly many people on this board who love simply to encourage people, and they don't receive many thanks, oftentimes, for simple encouragement. So, there must be careful qualifications put on my statements here.

Be that as it may, I would encourage everyone to stop and think about their posts as to whether they are edifying or not. Would this post that I am about to send offend anyone? Would it build up someone? Would it encourage someone? Would it challenge someone in a friendly iron-sharpen-iron way?

Understand, I am not saying this because of some specific thing that I have seen recently on the board. I am saying it because I occasionally see inane comments that don't go anywhere, and are simply noise. There is definitely a place on the PB for playfulness and sarcasm (though one must be careful with this, as sarcasm often has too much of an edge). The basic point I am making is that if we thought a bit more about the number of thanks we received as opposed to the bare number of posts we made, there would be a larger percentage of edifying comments. And remember, no one is required to thank your posts, so everyone else is the judge of whether or not your comment was helpful. So a comment has to be actually helpful for people to think so.

While I agree (who could help agreeing?) that we should be more careful that our posts be edifying, I am not sure that thinking about our "thanks" is a useful way to accomplish that. Many times thanks will come simply for weighing in on one definite side of a disagreement, or for expressing sympathy. More importantly, though, is that writing to be thanked seems to me perilously near writing for applause. I think it would be helpful if we tried to remember that we are talking to other people, with specific personalities and all that implies, and tried to speak in such a way so as to be helpful to the main person we are addressing (when there is one).

While I agree (who could help agreeing?) that we should be more careful that our posts be edifying, I am not sure that thinking about our "thanks" is a useful way to accomplish that. Many times thanks will come simply for weighing in on one definite side of a disagreement, or for expressing sympathy. More importantly, though, is that writing to be thanked seems to me perilously near writing for applause. I think it would be helpful if we tried to remember that we are talking to other people, with specific personalities and all that implies, and tried to speak in such a way so as to be helpful to the main person we are addressing (when there is one).

I don't disagree at all. In fact, that is why I said that vanity intrudes there as well. I confess to having written oftentimes for the applause of people. My point was merely that the number of posts is less indicative of edification than the thanks.

When I first joined the PB, I thought how fun it would be to increase vastly the number of posts I wrote, so that I could be seen to be a great contributor....

I have instead shifted my vanity to the number of thanks I receive. Now, this vanity can, of course, be a great deal more subtle, since it can be cloaked in an aura of edification.

Thanks for this. I feel much better about my measly 48 posts and 7 'thanks' now. ;)

Lane,

I must confess that i have also been puffed up by seeing a "thanks" under one of my posts. May God help us to seek out His approval in humble reliance on the Holy Spirit's sanctifying work in our lives.

I'll be honest...

When I see some of you folks and your thousands upon thousands of posts... I think, "That person must be a total loser. I bet he lives in the basement of his parents' house. And he works at McDonalds or the local video store."

I know, I know... that's "mean." But oh well.

Anyway, Lane I agree that the quality of posts is vastly more important than sheer numbers... and I thank you for not feeling obliged to add your opinion to every thread that is created.

I try to not get thanked, but somehow it still seems to happen. I guess I'm not being offensive, er, I mean, faithful enough.

When I see some of you folks and your thousands upon thousands of posts... I think, "That person must be a total loser. I bet he lives in the basement of his parents' house. And he works at McDonalds or the local video store."

All the best to those who are able to post massive numbers of posts, hopefully they are edifying to the poster and audience. Personally, I have a hard time maintaining my .35 posts per day average.

I'll be honest...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mommy, Ben is making fun of me again! Come down here to the basement and look at what he is saying now!

Shucks, you found me out. I really DON'T have four married kids and one at home, run a large retirement home ministry with 180 employees, serve as the chair of the HUD commission for my city, sit on several non-profit boards, consult regularly with churches and organizations, devote several days per year (today for example) to being at a denominational board meeting all day where I serve as the treasurer for the denomination, and plan to get off the computer in a minute to take a 3.5 mile walk with my wife. How did you know? Man, I'm suuuuuuuch a loser.

Mommy, where are you? I need you down here in the basement where I have been living for the last 55 years. Did you get my McDonalds uniform clean so I can go to work my 10 hour/wk job? The boss said if I forget it one more time he will fire me. Mommmmmmmmmmmy!

Total loser, huh? :lol: Some of us just multitask when sitting at home at night. Right now, for example, my response to you is tagging along on one of Sen. Obama's typically longish answers to a short question on the forum on national service at Columbia. And, some of us sit at desks a good part of the day with the internet on the screen. It is actually pretty easy to dip in between meetings and tasks to see what is happening on the old PB.

My hat is off to you, Ben, you found us out! Man, now I have to play with my video games.

:lol::lol::lol:

I try to not get thanked, but somehow it still seems to happen. I guess I'm not being offensive, er, I mean, faithful enough.

Somewhat in jest, I'm sure, but making not being thanked a measure of faithfulness (or meanness) assumes that all PB members despise faithfulness (or are not mean).

Somewhat in jest, I'm sure, but making not being thanked a measure of faithfulness (or meanness) assumes that all PB members despise faithfulness (or are not mean).

Relax, Ruben...

Having a personal "goal" in mind does not in any way imply an assumption about "all" (your word) of the folks here. Take a deep breath... now let it out... feeling better? :p

I think everyone who "thanked" Lane for his OP should be made to submit a full financial disclosure. :lol:

I'll be honest...

Ben,

Please report to the yellow footprints in front of my desk in the basement of my parents' house so we can discuss your post.

Lane,
This is more than a good reminder for all who post in here. We should be seeking to instruct and edify one another! You said this;

Be that as it may, I would encourage everyone to stop and think about their posts as to whether they are edifying or not. Would this post that I am about to send offend anyone? Would it build up someone? Would it encourage someone? Would it challenge someone in a friendly iron-sharpen-iron way?
Some of the members in here are in large churches and are used to having mature believers help them out on a fairly regular basis.
Other's post and question looking for instruction,correction, some helpful verses, or some recommended reading.
We should be careful in our posting that we are not like those who Paul cautioned against in Gal5
13For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

14For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

15But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
:book2:

Well one nice thing unless I'm missing it somewhere I have no idea the number of posts I need to create in order to become a Sophomore and even if I did know the number I certainly wouldn't post just so I could reach that level. I'm competitive and all but PB is not where I plan to express that trait.

Well not exactly I did discover the free games the other day and enjoyed a game of Space Invaders. :lol:

You mean I could quit my high responsibility and stress managers job, go work at Mcdonalds, and post more here on PB? WoW! I want! Oh how I remember when my biggest problem at work was "you want ketchup on that burger sir?" instead of "how are we gonna make budget this month?" If I get a Puritan Board Doctor rating, can I lead the PCUSA General Assembly? I could tell my grandkids how I worked my way through doctorate school! :lol:

How about a "moderation in all things" approach?

More thanks given out than received.
Not being the dominant contributor to a thread very often.

Some people also have more time than others. Right now I have 4 kids, two full time jobs, am a Deacon in our church, am remodeling the house, and teach a community Bible Study twice a month. I shouldn't be expected to contribute any original thoughts on most days, and I think I do that quite well.

More thanks given out than received.
If one doesn't/hasn't, what does such imply?

It certainly doesn't imply anything negative. I think it shows grace towards others. It's a Proverbs 11:24 thing.

No offense to all you PB giants out there who have been gifted with edifying, thoughtful posts. To demonstrate my sincerity in saying this, I'll share a little secret about what I think some of us common, casual PB members do.

Some of us click on the replies link and look to see who has posted on a thread before reading it. There are a few giants among us who, just by contributing to a thread, will get me to put a thread at the top of my read list.

It's easy to say, but so hard to do. The Ninth Commandment and our Lord's summary of "Love your neighbor as yourself" puts all kinds of duties on us in relating to one another. It's particularly hard when other posters do not seem to be following that or someone with apparent ill will drops on to the Board. Yet that is what we are called to do.

If we would pause after each post and ask:
1) Have I responded to another post or written about another person in the spirit of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?
2) Will the post help (edify) someone else?

If we all did this we would still have good, passionate debate and be able to enforce the rules, yet we would have fewer posts and better quality ones at that. And in doing this, the number of thanks would only be incidental to edification.

This may or may not be edifying, but this has to be one of the strangest threads I've read on the PB in a while. The flow of it seems to be going in 25 different directions.

I feel like the judge of the contest at the end of Billy Madison after having read this thread. :eek:

Maybe we should look at the ratio of Total Posts to Thanked Posts. For example, Lane has been thanked in 345 of his 1389 posts, for a percentage of 24.8% - very good compared to most people on here. So 1 in 4 of Lane's posts is thanked by at least one person, which is probably about as good as it gets. Going back to the OP, if we strive for edifying comments, looking at the percentage of our posts that are thanked can serve as a guide to how we're doing in this regard....

Last edited:
Bob,

My query wasn't intended to be a loaded question, I only asked because I often run out of "Thanks" quotas, yet have not given more than received. But it's certainly not because I'm not thankful.

Well gee thanks, Josh. You could have made that point in support of your initial question. Now everyone thinks I'm a thread snob. :banghead:

Seriously, your point is well taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back