numbering posting within a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmwilliamsjr

Puritan Board Freshman
is it possible to sequentially number the postings in a thread.
i had occasion to refer someone to a particular message and was unable to figure out how to do that.

either a posting number or a way to create an URL pointing to just one message in a thread.

or maybe i just missed it. either way. help?!

tia.

Actually, there already is a way to link to a specific post in a thread - although I have not found it to work the majority of the time. The numerical digits after the "?tid=" in the URL is the link to just the page as a whole. However, the "#pid" and other digits right after that indicate a link to a specific post in the thread.

The way I have tried to obtain the numbers for links to particular posts is by searching for a phrase in that post by the author of that post, and clicking on the search result that is that post. The problem is, some of the time that search result indeed goes to the specific post, and I can thus link it, but the majority of the time, it still goes to the beginning of the thread, even though it still lists the "#pid" in the URL.

Do any of the Admins know what causes that problem, why it only happens sometimes, and if anything could be done to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back