Oatcakes and texture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Not wanting to waste a hot oven I tend to do batch baking. My last attempt at oatcakes produced ships biscuits that would break a tooth (slight exaggeration).

My question is how important are raising agents in what is essentially a flattened dry biscuit? I suspect that the baking powder and cream of tartar play a role in separation of the pinhead oatmeal to produce a more edible product than the dogs biscuits scrimping on them resulted in.

Any suggestions or observations on production of the ideal oatcake, either ingredients or method of rolling out?

I love oatcakes for breakfast, warmed, with butter and marmalade. They are also a perfect accompaniment for cheese.

I know that with oatmeal cookies rolled oats are said to give a better texture than steel cut. Also, possibly mixing in some self rising flour, if you'd rather not mess with yeast, might be a solution. Speculating, not speaking from experience with that. But as a kid I learned to make Southern biscuits from my Mississippi side of the family and self rising flour, crisco, did the trick.

IMG_20181130_154146490.jpg I just took these (from my linked recipe) out of the oven. I left them in longer(as per the recipe) to crisp a bit. Def not a tooth-breaker, and quite tasty.

View attachment 5858 I just took these (from my linked recipe) out of the oven. I left them in longer(as per the recipe) to crisp a bit. Def not a tooth-breaker, and quite tasty.

Hi Elizabeth,
Just checked the recipe after viewing your pic. Can you bend the oatcake a little without it breaking? I have a sneaking suspicion that we would call your oatcakes a traybake and a flapjack.

Scottish oatcakes break like a biscuit and are dry rather than moist. I love to have then with cheese as a cheese biscuit. usually 1/8th of an inch thick?? They are made with pinmeal rather than rolled oats (pictured)

I transcribed my recipe from an old jotter and missed out the butter! That is why I had ships biscuits. Followed the corrected recipe below and success!

Ingredients

½ lb fine oatmeal

1 ½ oz flour

2oz margarine

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon cream of tartar

1 ½ oz castor sugar

2 tablespoons of milk

Method

Mix the ingredients until they form a coherent mix and roll as thin as possible before cutting.

Cooking

190C for 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness

NB the baking powder and cream of tartar are vital to avoid a “ships biscuit”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back