Obligations of Special Revelation on Unbelievers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afterthought

Puritan Board Senior
It is my understanding that some duties are moral and natural and so binding on all, while other duties are positive, requiring special revelation to make them known. There are duties given by special revelation that are added on to the natural duties (like an established church) and are not binding of themselves on unbelievers. Nevertheless, it is everyone's obligation to repent and believe on Jesus, and Psalm 2 shows the universal obligation of kings to "kiss the Son." However, isn't this the kind of duty that can only be made known through special revelation (even a positive duty?)? If so, are those without special revelation under this duty? And if so in what manner are they? Clearly, once they heard the special revelation, they would be obligated.

Of course, if my understanding leading up to the concluding questions is incorrect, what part is wrong?

Last edited:
You can't have an established church until special revelation becomes known to the rulers and populace.

However the moral law is available to all men and they are culpable for disobeying the light they have. They will not be judged for rejecting a special revelation/Gospel they have never been exposed to or even heard of.

Special revelation is now widely available and yet many do not seek for the truth - "feel after God" (Acts 17) - or respond to it when they find it.

Are you asking how magistrates without special revelation are culpable for ruling unjustly? None of them even rules perfectly by the light of general revelation.

When special revelation arrives in a territory, the whole populace and its leaders are called upon to submit to Christ's gracious and just rule (Psalm 2).

Resistance will lead to trouble in this life and the next. See e.g. the "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse", Christ Himself being the first In my humble opinion.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Peairtach said:
You can't have an established church until special revelation becomes known to the rulers and populace.
Well, I'm speaking about obligation, but anyway, to answer your question...

Are you asking how magistrates without special revelation are culpable for ruling unjustly?
I'm asking whether there are any obligations on unbelievers from special revelation if they do not have special revelation. As examples of potential duties where there may be obligations from special revelation on unbelievers who do not have special revelation, I appealed to the magistrate's duty as found in Psalm 2, and I appealed to everyone's duty, as found in Acts 17 that everyone is called to repent. Are these moral duties? That is, are these duties obligatory even on those who don't have special revelation?

Faith is a moral duty of the first commandment. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is a matter of special revelation, as is clear from Romans 10. The moral force of the first commandment accompanies the call to believe on the Lord Jesus.

The entirety of the moral law (first and second table) is binding on all men everywhere, whether they possess special revelation or not.

One appeal to the nations is his love towards us. Is that special or natural or both?

117 Praise the Lord, all nations!
Extol him, all peoples!
2 For great is his steadfast love toward us, <-----------
and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.
Praise the Lord!

Seems to me this includes steadfast love seen in providence and in how God's love is displayed though other believers. Not exclusively special revelation

"... I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they will learn that I have loved you." Rev 3:9

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back