October 25, 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
Many moments in history are cemented into our minds. We never forget where we were and what we were doing. There were tragedies such as the Pearl Harbor invasion, Kennedy Assassination, beginning of the Gulf war, and most recently 9/11.
And there is the day, what to some, is just as tragic - October 25 1986.

The day Bill Buckner’s name was to be etched into the minds of every Red Sox fan who was and who is to come.

Twenty years ago Bill Buckner [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=sVXuwCFYiwI]blew the World Series for the 1986 Boston Red Sox[/ame].

Do you remember where you were when you heard about “The Buckner”?

Being a Sox fan, I remember the moment well. I wish someone had taken my picture the moment the ball ran between Buckners 'golden glove'! Can you sat Calvin Schiraldi? I believe it was the bottom of the ninth inning, full count. All we needed was 1 more strike and we would have been world champions!

Red Sox fans only watch that clip when they are depressed (see Fever Pitch). I remember watching the game at home in Davidson, North Carolina. What a heartbreak.

I prefer to remember on the [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTcehEtlYDk]the greatest comeback in the history of sports, ALCS Game 7, 2004 Red Sox v. Yankees[/ame].

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpuectC8ls]How sweet it is![/ame]

I was at home watching the game. I was rooting for the Red Sox during the WS, although I am a NL fan (Cards fan since the late '50s).

I felt the pain of the moment. I remember many Cardinal moments of course, but that is one non-Cardinal moment that I'll always remember.

In 1986 I was not quite seven years old, but despite my young age, I was an avid baseball fan. I was considered a baseball phenom by my family. If you named the player – I could tell you what team he was on. I knew the lineups of all the teams and watched any game that was on television know matter who was playing (of course that meant a lot of Braves games since everyone gets those, and the local teams to south central PA which were Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Philly). But in 1986 I was a die hard Mets fan!

I was hooked on all the playoff games – Red Sox / Angels, Mets / Astros. Then when game six of the World Series came and my beloved team was one out away from loosing the championship, my six and a half year old body could not take the pressure. Mookie Wilson had an amazing at bat, fouling off every pitch that was in doubt. Then the grounder…. I began to cry! (hey, I was a kid). But then Bill Buckner saved my day. I was ecstatic! :bouncy:

For reasons I can’t remember, I was unable to watch the live game. My mom recorded it on VHS. So it was important I did not know anything until after I watched the tape. My mom knew what happened the whole time I watched, but she did not say anything. To this day we still have that tape. It has been twenty years since it has been played, so I am not sure what condition it is in. I think it would be cool to watch again for the memories. I wonder if my parents know where it is at. :gpl:

I was watching the game at Johnson State College in Johnson, Vt. I was a diehard Red Sox fan until that moment. I never followed baseball again. :(

I was still living in NYC at the time, and had met some friends at a bar on the Upper East Side for dinner. Of course, the game was on. That was one of the loudest roars I had ever heard when Buckner muffed that grounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back