Office of Prophet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coram Deo

Puritan Board Junior
Lately I have been studing the office's of the church.. I understand why Apostle and Evangelist Office have ceased. They saw Christ and could testify and they received direct call from Christ to the office of Apostle or from the Apostles to Evangelist as delegates of the Apostles.. Also Both Apostles and Evangelist had special powers that ceased at the end of the Apostle's Era.

I also know that Pastors are Normative and see the office of Teacher as distinct from the Office of Pastor by the same reasons that are listed in Westminster Standards.....

How should we see the office of Prophet? They did not need to be directly called by Christ but had to be called by God as per the Old Testament Prophets... We also see Prophets in Revelation in Chapter 11 that seem to indicate that the office continued after the Apostle's Era.

I am not talking about inspiration of Scriptures, we all know that ended.. But Prophets had other functions. I also do not mean the quacks of the Charismatic movement....

I am just curious.... I am also curious how you handle Revelation 11 in regards to Prophets?

P.S. No I am not going Prophetic on everyone :p.... I do not see the Office of Prophet continuing but am having trouble reconcilling Revelation 11.

I am not talking about inspiration of Scriptures, we all know that ended.. But Prophets had other functions.

I think 'those other functions' were basically preaching faith and repentance so I would guess that the modern day prophet is your modern day preacher.

I am not talking about inspiration of Scriptures, we all know that ended.. But Prophets had other functions.

I think 'those other functions' were basically preaching faith and repentance so I would guess that the modern day prophet is your modern day preacher.

I concur. The Scotts used to have open-air meetings called "prophesyings", as did other puritan and reformed groups. I do not think I am out of place in saying that the traditional understanding of a prophet's job is to speak the words of God after Him. Is that not what preaching (i.e. the declaring of the gospel) is all about?:2cents:

I concur. The Scotts used to have open-air meetings called "prophesyings", as did other puritan and reformed groups. I do not think I am out of place in saying that the traditional understanding of a prophet's job is to speak the words of God after Him. Is that not what preaching (i.e. the declaring of the gospel) is all about?:2cents:

From listening to his sermons I would say at least Rev Morecraft III would agree with you.

We also see Prophets in Revelation in Chapter 11 that seem to indicate that the office continued after the Apostle's Era.

It is my understanding that the prophets in Rev 11 represent the Church, not to individual prophets. In verse 4 they are called "lampstands" and in Rev 1:20 we are told that lamstands are the churches.

From listening to his sermons I would say at least Rev Morecraft III would agree with you.

Several men I know hold this position, Dr. Morecraft being among them. I first heard of it from R. C. Sproul, Jr. But none-the-less it does fit the Biblical model rather well, in my opinion.

I think that prophecy falling under the office of pastor/preacher makes alot of sense. Especially as we are told that "...the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." (Rev 19:10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back