OK, JUST got my new Allan Bible.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
ESV Readers Edition. It is, hands down THE best ESV I have ever seen! Now. I wrote, Mark Bertrand! I am begging him to put up some Pics here! So! Cross fingers! I hardly have words!:book2:

OK, on behalf of the covetous curs among the unwashed hoi polloi on the PB, I officially petition the Marvelous Max Philanthropic Bible Lovers Foundation for a grant. Could you just pick up some of them thar Allan Bibles (the ESV reader's edition sounds just about right) for distribution to deserving lovers of fine Bibles on the PB. I interpret "deserving" as those of us who actually read your posts and interact (hint . . . hint).
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually, I'm delighted that you like the new Allan Bible. Could you give dimensions? Is it a single column format? References?

TO ANY TECH SAVVY FOLK! I have permission from J. Mark Bertrand to put Pictures of the Allan ESV READERS from Mark's Blog: J. Mark Bertand Binders Blog, Directly on the PB! It is hard to photograph Bibles but Mark is a Master.....anyone willing to help me (my Mac has issues doing size on PB) I would Love the help. As I say I have his permission anyone willing and able to help me grab and place 3, 4, 5 good pics of the Allan ESV Readers. I would love the help! Grace and Peace.

105ut7o.jpg

2u5ucex.jpg

sq34hd.jpg

2ivo0oj.jpg

14writt.jpg

Source: Bible Design and Binding: R. L. Allan Reader's Reference Edition ESV

Norm, that Bible is almost identical to the KJV Allan's Bible I have which was donated to me by a gracious PB member. It is an absolutely beautiful Bible. I also have an ESV Allan's Bible that I really like. I bought that from a PB brother at a wonderful price.

Allans Bibles are the bomb!

Ivan, the "my" is in the title of the website unfortunately. I don't have one. Max does and so does the website owner. My best is a black calfskin NASB I got from a brother on the PB, and I love it.

Norm, that Bible is almost identical to the KJV Allan's Bible I have which was donated to me by a gracious PB member. It is an absolutely beautiful Bible. I also have an ESV Allan's Bible that I really like. I bought that from a PB brother at a wonderful price.

Allans Bibles are the bomb!

Ivan, the "my" is in the title of the website unfortunately. I don't have one. Max does and so does the website owner. My best is a black calfskin NASB I got from a brother on the PB, and I love it.

Perhaps some day, Norm. BTW, in the first photograph, the brown Bible on the far left is the color of my ESV Allans.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the hype about the Allan Bibles?
In their finest bindings, they use the softest, most supple leather (known as highland goatskin) and India paper with beautiful art gilt edges. The bibles open flat from any page and feel almost like they mold to your hand when holding them. They are truly a work of art.

AHHHH! I have been looking for a bible with large print (above 10; I have terrible eyesight), cross-references, and margins. YAYYYY what a GREAT graduation gift this will make. :banana:

Even though I have the Longer Primer, every time I see an Allan Bible I want to get my hands on one of them.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the hype about the Allan Bibles?
In their finest bindings, they use the softest, most supple leather (known as highland goatskin) and India paper with beautiful art gilt edges. The bibles open flat from any page and feel almost like they mold to your hand when holding them. They are truly a work of art.

I agree with Michael. I own one Allen Bible and it is "truly a work of art" in bookbinding.

I would gladly trade my ESV Black Calfskin Study Bible for the Allan ESV Readers Edition.

I just found out about them about a month or so ago. I need to get a second job....ha!

Sorry, I don't care how awesome the leather is. I am not paying 130+ for a Bible.
While not inexpensive, they are LIFETIME Bibles, they are art...but functional art, 120 dollars? Well, you can use an Allan the rest of your life! Unless you drop it in pool, it will outlast you, it will be heirloom, to children and grandchildren. In that light, I think, 120 is not extreme. Most Bibles made that cost 70 bucks might only last 10 years, (seeing action) as in using it. I saw a 40 Year old Allan on EBAY...looked brand new!

Max, the one comment I saw referred to the opacity of the paper and that it allowed some ghosting of the print. How noticeable is that when you read in a good light? Is the paper very white?

I am not trying to call anyone a liar by any means and I do appreciate quality. That being said, my dad's Bible (which was just some common 20 dollar Bible) has lasted for nearly 30 years. The reason is not necessarily quality, but rather how it was handled. I on the other hand runs through Bibles frequently because of the wear and tear that happens while in military training. It is not uncommon to see duct tape Bibles among soldiers.

So it isn't that a Bible can't last a lifetime, just not under my circumstances.

Max, the one comment I saw referred to the opacity of the paper and that it allowed some ghosting of the print. How noticeable is that when you read in a good light? Is the paper very white?
Actually this is the Single Best EDITION, I have seen, I just read the first 3 Chapters of John, I notice little ghosting, Bible paper, even the best quality, French milled, India...is but need thin, so, looking carefully at even a fine Bible you might see a little. This EDITION, I had to angle to the light and put my eyes close...it is hard to to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back