Okay Brothers & Sister, have at it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Grace

Puritan Board Sophomore
A member on another forum made these statements over time and still holds to these heresies:

“If sin was paid for then it was not forgiven"

"The bible never states Christ paid for you[sic] sins"

"As i stated Christ death was absolutely necessary for sin to be forgiven but of itself it did not remit sin."

“You will not read in the bible that Christ paid for sins on the cross”

Okay, have at it!! Turn loose the hounds!!! Tally hoo!!!

A member on another forum made these statements over time and still holds to these heresies:

"As i stated Christ death was absolutely necessary for sin to be forgiven but of itself it did not remit sin."

It sounds like your correspondent may adhere to the governmental theory of the atonement.

OP, you do realize this board wars - ask the PB for ammo to get em - situations are never going to stop right? Is there an end line to this?

If I’ve broken the rules then the staff should delete the thread. I meant no harm, just showing ppl on here that most sites aren’t sound in the faith like here.

Since you didn't mention the board in question, I don't think you broke a rule. In general, though, this take isn't helpful for spiritual growth. The best thing to do is read the best scholarly sources and analyze the problem.

Since you didn't mention the board in question, I don't think you broke a rule. In general, though, this take isn't helpful for spiritual growth. The best thing to do is read the best scholarly sources and analyze the problem.
Well, I’ve been one who seems to grow more from bad theology as it drives me to study it and see it’s fatal flaws.

You can go to a garden, admire the beauty of the roses, study the sweeping design, breathe deeply of the scent, or you could go to the garbage dump and argue with folk who say it's sweet. Doesn't seem like much of a choice.

Well, I’ve been one who seems to grow more from bad theology as it drives me to study it and see it’s fatal flaws.

That works only up to a point. Studies have shown--I need to find the article--that the mind retains and grows more by mastering the foundations first. In our case, Turretin and the like.

The individual stating these absurd comments is a heretic or at best extremely in error. If he did not wish to be corrected then he is a reprobate. Flowers is so far lost.

This would be good practice for you - start with your confession and look up the Scripture references. Then look up the cross references also. Use all the tools you have to get a list of verses and then quote them verbatim on the board this person is posting. Let everyone see the Word of God for themselves. God may use it in someone’s life who is reading.

If the person remains obstinate and hard hearted after being confronted by the Bible, I typically move on and won’t waste any more time and energy.

Also keep in mind that this is only an internet discussion. Internet content creators aren't that important in the grand scheme of things. I can think of maybe one or two who are any good.

1. Sin being paid for and not forgiven is not at odds with each other. In addition God deals with believers differently Romans 8:1; Hebrews 12:6-11; John 3:36
2. John 19:30 Jesus said it is finished. The Greek word Teleo denotes being paid, finished, completed etc.
3. Isaiah 53 states Christ would die for his people and see the end result (v. 10-11)

I think one of the challenges in a discussion like this (or even similar discussions considered within the fold for those who fold to some form of Sovereign grace theology) is the status of what is sometimes called mixed articles.

The body of theology that is true is greater than that which can be directly cited by an appeal to a specific Chapter and Verse. I say this because I believe not in the idea that we arrive at theological truth by an appeal first to reason but that the Scriptures contain theological truths that speak within the "verses" of Scripture and are intended to be "put together" by the learned and stable.

The problem is not coming up with theological propositions that are contained within certain portions of Scripture, such as Hebrews and Romans, but the willingness of the "hearer" to be willing to allow the sound theologian to form a sound Biblical or Systematic theology that clearly points to penal substitution.

It's not sound to depart from a sound theological method that the Scripture itself employs to satisfy the mind of a fool. For instance, you can't satisfy a person who insists that, "unless you find a verse that says 'x' then I won't believe x." Muslims use this to deny the Trinity as an example (e.g. Jesus nowhere says: "I am God, worship me.")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back