Okay, I admit it. Roll Tide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
This is the rematch I wanted to see. Alabama vs. LSU. And I was not disappointed. What a great game if you were for Alabama. I am partial to the Crimson Tide because I love the State. But what a great program. LSU crossed the 50 yard line only once offensively and even then they were pushed back behind it. I was definitely impressed. And that sophmore QB, what do you guys think? He played a very smart game against a pretty solid defensive team. He was sharp on his calls and looks.

But man what a shut out! That game was one of the best defensive games I have ever seen from a team. Wow!

I wasn't rooting for Alabama however I am glad to see an SEC take the big one every year. Still saying war eagle lol

Good game all around for Alabama, especially with the passing that LSU could not adjust to for whatever reason. The Ala. QB made some great throws.

For their part, LSU choked. Jefferson had one of his deer in the headlights games and Miles will be second guessed for years for not replacing him, although Lee did perform horribly against Ala throughout his career, including the game earlier this year. When Jefferson played like that in several games in 2010 Miles brought in Lee off the bench, perhaps saving his job in the process. But going into this year, many people thought both would end up on the bench in favor of the kid who transferred and who will be starting at QB next year.

I wanted LSU to die a horrible, painful death. And I'm glad it happened. I went to Auburn, so you'll never hear those nasty ocean words come from my mouth, but I'm glad that Alabama won. It also makes for a great story with all that's happened in Tuscaloosa in the last year. I'm also happy that the BCS is all in a fussy about it.

Since I am the Big 10 apologist here all I'll say is if the game last night featured Penn State and Michigan all we would be hearing today is how bad Big 10 offenses are and why the Big 10 is really not that good.

The Big Ten? ummm I mean 11. The SEC is much better in my estimation. But it is now Basketball season and I suspect that things will move North or East. I am very pleased with how IU is doing. It has been a hard struggle to get back to where they should be since they got rid of Bobby Knight. They made some terrible blunders in choices for head coaching.

That aside, I am saddened by the affairs that have taken place at Penn St. I am glad they are part of the Big 10. Joe Paterno does turn out some good young men. They are the highest in College grads and grades. It is sad that his life is over and he has this big black mark on his name now. He did so much good and it has all been wiped away by his ineffectiveness to deal with a very very very depraved action of his staff member. I pray we all don't lose out in our lives because we refuse to deal with sin. I thank God for the Church and the discipline that it requires. May we stay true to our confession.

Well, that just goes to show you how much I follow the stuff. I didn't even know that. I mainly watch Notre Dame and really don't care about what is going on in the sporting world for the most part. I use to follow Notre Dame quite closely back in the 90's and I have always had an affection for the Packers since I was a child. But I am so out of the loop. Some guys at Church follow it but I really could care less. It does give me something to talk about with my non Christian buddies but that is about all it is good for in my estimation. I lost interest in following who does what and who plays for who a very long time ago. I use to follow the ABA. Does that tell you anything? LOL.

I wanted LSU to die a horrible, painful death. And I'm glad it happened. I went to Auburn, so you'll never hear those nasty ocean words come from my mouth, but I'm glad that Alabama won. It also makes for a great story with all that's happened in Tuscaloosa in the last year. I'm also happy that the BCS is all in a fussy about it.

You must REALLY hate LSU if you root for the Tide over them! I don't know very many Auburn fans who would think the same way, if for no other reason than the fact that they'd have to hear about it from Crimson Tide fans until the next season rolls around.

You must REALLY hate LSU if you root for the Tide over them! I don't know very many Auburn fans who would think the same way, if for no other reason than the fact that they'd have to hear about it from Crimson Tide fans until the next season rolls around.
That doesn't bother me - credit where credit is due. My hatred of LSU stems from a friend of mine who went to an (Auburn) away game at LSU and got spit on in the stands. Grown men spitting on a woman? Sounds like a good source for a life-long grudge to me. So I fueled it nursed that grudge along to the nice amount of hatred it is today. It's also a zoning issue to me - Auburn pride, then State pride. In that order if it comes to it.

Since I am the Big 10 apologist here all I'll say is if the game last night featured Penn State and Michigan all we would be hearing today is how bad Big 10 offenses are and why the Big 10 is really not that good.

Absolutely. The Media have always been Big 10 haters and always will be. I'd like to see an SEC team play a Big 10 schedule in November and see how well they would do.

I'd like to see an SEC team play a Big 10 schedule in November and see how well they would do.

No need to. They play plenty of Big 10 teams every New Year's Day. It recent years that hasn't worked out too well for the Big 10.

But let's look at the November schedule of a Big 10 school -- this year's Big 10 champion, Wisconsin:

Nov. 5 -- Purdue (final record: 7-6)
Nov. 12 -- Minnesota (final record: 3-9)
Nov. 19 -- Illinois (final record: 7-6)
Nov. 26 -- Penn State (final record: 9-4)

I think most teams wouldn't mind that schedule.

The Media have always been Big 10 haters and always will be.

Seriously? Always? How far does your knowledge of college football go back? I don't think the media has exactly been down on Ohio State and Michigan for most of college football history.

I think the poster above was referring to weather.

The fact of the matter is 95% of SEC bowl teams for all intensive purposes play home games in their bowls, which does have an effect on the outcome.

Absolutely. The Media have always been Big 10 haters and always will be.

Huh? I think most of the country would beg to differ- while the media is obviously SEC-crazy, it at least makes a little sense. The Big Ten is annually the most overrated conference in the country!

The bowl games are played where people will actually show up to watch a game, at least in most cases (I can't explain the Humanitarian/Fight Hunger Bowl). That explains the reason for so many games being in Florida.

The 4 BCS games are all over the country. The Orange Bowl is in Miami, but SEC teams don't generally go there (sometimes with an at-large bid, though). The Sugar Bowl is in New Orleans, but that's only a home game for LSU (the Sugar Bowl was, incidentally, played between a Big 10 team and an ACC team this year). The Fiesta Bowl is in Arizona and the Rose Bowl is in California. Not SEC states, obviously. The NCG is rotated between the four bowls, 3 of which are played in warm weather cities, and one which is in a dome.

Weather cuts both ways. It's not like a team plays all of its games at home. Playing a September game (or possibly October) in the south can be quite brutal for teams not used to playing in warm humid climates. It cuts both ways.

I am somewhat speechless that ANYONE would release a ranking the day after the BCS. But I guess I should not be surprised.

Right. Some players have yet to declare early for the NFL draft. And all recruiting classes haven't been finalized. You don't know what some of these teams are going to look like next season.

I'd like to see an SEC team play a Big 10 schedule in November and see how well they would do.

No need to. They play plenty of Big 10 teams every New Year's Day. It recent years that hasn't worked out too well for the Big 10.

But let's look at the November schedule of a Big 10 school -- this year's Big 10 champion, Wisconsin:

Nov. 5 -- Purdue (final record: 7-6)
Nov. 12 -- Minnesota (final record: 3-9)
Nov. 19 -- Illinois (final record: 7-6)
Nov. 26 -- Penn State (final record: 9-4)

I think most teams wouldn't mind that schedule.

The Media have always been Big 10 haters and always will be.

Seriously? Always? How far does your knowledge of college football go back? I don't think the media has exactly been down on Ohio State and Michigan for most of college football history.

I'm referring to the weather. I would like to see SEC speed on display in the snow is all, Tim.

The bowl games are played where people will actually show up to watch a game, at least in most cases (I can't explain the Humanitarian/Fight Hunger Bowl). That explains the reason for so many games being in Florida.

The 4 BCS games are all over the country. The Orange Bowl is in Miami, but SEC teams don't generally go there (sometimes with an at-large bid, though). The Sugar Bowl is in New Orleans, but that's only a home game for LSU (the Sugar Bowl was, incidentally, played between a Big 10 team and an ACC team this year). The Fiesta Bowl is in Arizona and the Rose Bowl is in California. Not SEC states, obviously. The NCG is rotated between the four bowls, 3 of which are played in warm weather cities, and one which is in a dome.

Weather cuts both ways. It's not like a team plays all of its games at home. Playing a September game (or possibly October) in the south can be quite brutal for teams not used to playing in warm humid climates. It cuts both ways.

Moreover, there is a BCS rule that the BCS Bowls have to be played where the temperature is above a certain average for that time of the year. (I can't think what it is offhand.) That's why the Cotton Bowl, which used to be one of the Big Four bowls, is not a BCS Bowl. But that's likely to change now that it's been moved indoors.

Bowl games for the most part have always been played in warmer regions. It would be interesting to compare records (conf. head to head) from different eras in that regard.

No one can deny that the SEC has risen in prominence vis a vis the Big 10, Big 8/Big 12 etc. in the past decade or so compared to 20-30 years ago. After Alabama slipped back into the pack in the early 80's, most SEC teams would have had no chance against the old Big 8 powerhouses like Nebraska and OU or the top Big 10 teams Michigan or Ohio State most years. Things changed with Spurrier etc when the offenses opened up in the 1990's.

I'm referring to the weather. I would like to see SEC speed on display in the snow is all, Tim.

It's not just speed. It's size as well. The biggest offensive line in football (college or pro) this past season was at the University of Georgia. Or take a look at how many defensive linemen have been drafted in the first round out of the SEC in recent years.

There are other factors in the power shift in conferences as well. The population centers of the country have shifted over the past several decades (e.g., more people moving to places like Georgia and Florida). Those states are hotbeds for recruiting. And can you blame a kid for wanting to stay close to home and play in a warm climate rather than going a thousand miles from home and playing in snow and ice?

Interestingly, both of the coaches in last night's game were Big 10 transplants, If I recall correctly. Some of this might change, however, with an SEC transplant now in the Big 10. Urban Meyer has lots of connections to Florida, so that might shake things up a bit.

It's not just speed. It's size as well. The biggest offensive line in football (college or pro) this past season was at the University of Georgia. Or take a look at how many defensive linemen have been drafted in the first round out of the SEC in recent years.

There are other factors in the power shift in conferences as well. The population centers of the country have shifted over the past several decades (e.g., more people moving to places like Georgia and Florida). Those states are hotbeds for recruiting. And can you blame a kid for wanting to stay close to home and play in a warm climate rather than going a thousand miles from home and playing in snow and ice?

Interestingly, both of the coaches in last night's game were Big 10 transplants, If I recall correctly. Some of this might change, however, with an SEC transplant now in the Big 10. Urban Meyer has lots of connections to Florida, so that might shake things up a bit.

These are good points and fit in with what I posted earlier. In the 80's the biggest OL's would have been in the Big 8 or Big 10. I remember joking about them corn fed boys from Nebraska. :lol: The SEC and SWC would have generally had fast players but would have been blown off the ball more often than not by the top teams from the Midwestern conferences. The population shift that Tim notes is an important factor as well.

Successful programs will tend to land the better recruits who want to play for the top teams. With the SEC teams, Texas and maybe some other schools doing well compared to how it was 20-25 years ago, more of that talent stays at home and more kids from California and elsewhere will gravitate there than would have been the case in the past with many going to Notre Dame, Michigan, etc.

I remember joking about them corn fed boys from Nebraska.

Ah, but even Tom Osbourne didn't win a national title until he started recruiting outside of the Corn Belt. Remember guys (or should I say thugs) like Lawrence Phillips (no relation)?

Moreover, there is a BCS rule that the BCS Bowls have to be played where the temperature is above a certain average for that time of the year. (I can't think what it is offhand.) That's why the Cotton Bowl, which used to be one of the Big Four bowls, is not a BCS Bowl. But that's likely to change now that it's been moved indoors.

I did not know this. It sort of explains how the Fiesta Bowl got into the mix while an older bowl like the Cotton Bowl got left out. And those Cotton Bowl games (at the older outdoor stadium) could get cold. Remember the Joe Montana game where he had to fight the chills by drinking hot soup at halftime?

I remember joking about them corn fed boys from Nebraska.

Ah, but even Tom Osbourne didn't win a national title until he started recruiting outside of the Corn Belt. Remember guys (or should I say thugs) like Lawrence Phillips (no relation)?

I did not know this. It sort of explains how the Fiesta Bowl got into the mix while an older bowl like the Cotton Bowl got left out. And those Cotton Bowl games (at the older outdoor stadium) could get cold. Remember the Joe Montana game where he had to fight the chills by drinking hot soup at halftime?

Osborne recruited Phillips but also opened up the offense somewhat. If I recall correctly Tommie Frazier could run the option but could also throw the ball better than most previous OU and NU QB's. But even before that, they usually killed teams like LSU for the reasons mentioned above. But LSU almost beat them in the 1982 (?) Orange Bowl and they famously lost the game against Miami. (But they blew out the 1986 SEC Champions LSU in the Sugar Bowl.) Those teams, one dimensional as they were, could usually only be beaten by the very best teams from down South, (or maybe out West) or else by another team in their own conference. Back then whoever won the Big 8 was usually going to be undefeated and a contender for the N.C. But they also usually only had one or two real rivals in the conference. I think this may have been prior to the limit of 85 scholarships as well.

Alas Montana at Notre Dame was somewhat before my time. The Independence Bowl in Shreveport is on basically the same latitude as Dallas and I remember a steady snowstorm in a game in the late 1990's. It's rare but it can happen. It snowed in the infamous Leon Lett Thanksgiving game in Dallas in the early 90's too.

Last edited:
Alas Montana at Notre Dame was somewhat before my time. I only vaguely remember the "Freezer Bowl" and Montana's subsequent 1st Super Bowl win. It was a few years later before I really got into College FB.

Way back when I still had satellite, I watched the game on ESPN Classic. It actually wasn't as great as I expected, with the game winning TD being scored right at the end of the game (I think it was a TD pass from Montana), but it being a controversial call (I can't remember the details, but I think there was some indication the receiver might have been out of bounds, something like that). But they called it a TD, ND won, and it was the beginning of the Montana legend. I'm glad he wasn't around after that, because I think the following year is when ND went to the Sugar Bowl and lost to my Dawgs, 17-10, giving UGA the national championship.

Those Big 8 teams like Nebraska always seemed to go undefeated until the bowl game, then lose. That was until Osbourne opened things up, as you described. I still remember the Huskers crushing Florida in the national championship, which was almost as bad as the way West Virginia beat Clemson last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back