Okay, I admit it. Roll Tide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm referring to the weather. I would like to see SEC speed on display in the snow is all, Tim.

It's not just speed. It's size as well. The biggest offensive line in football (college or pro) this past season was at the University of Georgia. Or take a look at how many defensive linemen have been drafted in the first round out of the SEC in recent years.

There are other factors in the power shift in conferences as well. The population centers of the country have shifted over the past several decades (e.g., more people moving to places like Georgia and Florida). Those states are hotbeds for recruiting. And can you blame a kid for wanting to stay close to home and play in a warm climate rather than going a thousand miles from home and playing in snow and ice?

Interestingly, both of the coaches in last night's game were Big 10 transplants, If I recall correctly. Some of this might change, however, with an SEC transplant now in the Big 10. Urban Meyer has lots of connections to Florida, so that might shake things up a bit.

Good points, Tim. I guess I'm just bitter that the Big 10 has performed poorly for the past few years. :lol:

Good points, Tim. I guess I'm just bitter that the Big 10 has performed poorly for the past few years.

These things are cyclical. In a few years, one of the other conferences (PAC-12 perhaps?) will rise to prominence.

Oklahoma State should have been playing L.S.U. for the National Championship, not Alabama. (And they would have won in my opinion) If Oklahoma State had been O.U. or Texas, with only one loss, on the road, in double overtime, and the outright conference champion, they would have been voted to play L.S.U. It's ridiculous. Oklahoma State got ripped off because of an over-whelming media bias, voter bias and incompetence.

You're from Stillwater...where is Oklahoma St. located again? :D

Just joking with you.

I would have rather seen what would have happened had OK St. played LSU too but I still think the best two teams were scheduled to play. One of them just forgot to show up. All OK St. had to do was beat a 6-7 Iowa St. team and then we would have seen what would have happened.

Yes, I live in Stillwater and I am an O.S.U. alum. :D And yes, I think L.S.U. and Alabama were probably the two best teams. But I still believe that O.S.U. could have beaten L.S.U. that night (the way they played), and that if it had been O.U., or Texas who had lost that game to Iowa State, they would have been playing L.S.U., not Stanford.

I don't think so...but they would have thrown in 50 times...so you never know...unless you play the game of course.

My Tide Rolled ! I've been a fan since I was young. My Dad & Mom are both from Scottsboro, Alabama -- Northeast Corner of Alabama -- so I came by it honest.

Jeff,

First, as a Bama alum I wish things were settled on the field. But actually there is a precedence for what happened to OSU. Oklahoma went to the 2003 NCG after losing the Big 12 CCG and they went over a one loss USC. The strike against USC is that they had lost to an unranked Cal in OT. I understand the argument that it was a rematch but the purpose of the BCS, in lieu of a playoff, was to put the two best teams on the field for the NCG. The overwhelming majority opinion said that was LSU and Bama.

Two notes: (1)If the Big12 had a championship game that might have put OSU in the NCG. (2) Mike Slive of the SEC had already proposed a play-in game and that proposal was dismissed by the Pac12 & Big12.

and.......Roll Tide!

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

My Tide Rolled ! I've been a fan since I was young. My Dad & Mom are both from Scottsboro, Alabama -- Northeast Corner of Alabama -- so I came by it honest.

Thread high jack!

Steven,

I hit the link to your church site. Beautiful building! We are currently considering building, and I noticed that your church looks pretty new. Can I ask how long ago you guys built?

Thanks and Roll Tide,

Darryl

Last edited:
I can't recall seeing a QB (Jefferson--LSU) with that kind of a deer in the headlights look since Jeff George in his last game in the NFL ca. 2001. After that (I think it was Week 2 in the season) the Redskins cut him, basically ending his career.

Well, at least us LSU fans can take solace that the Lee/Jefferson era at QB has come to an end. They've got more talented QB's lined up for next year, so there can't be any excuses about it then. Mettenberger is already on the roster, but for whatever reason, (probably loyalty + being undefeated) he never saw meaningful playing time.

Well, at least us LSU fans can take solace that the Lee/Jefferson era at QB has come to an end. They've got more talented QB's lined up for next year, so there can't be any excuses about it then. Mettenberger is already on the roster, but for whatever reason, (probably loyalty + being undefeated) he never saw meaningful playing time.

They've got a guy coming in who's had a problem keeping himself out of trouble. He's a juco transfer, but that's only because he was recruited at Georgia (apparently did better than Murray during the spring game) and then got kicked off and had to sit out a year before coming back to a 1-AA school (how bad to you have to be to get kicked off the team by Mark Richt, first time, no second and third and fourth chances?). For all of Richt's problems, though, he does tend to recruit very good QBs.

The SEC West, however, appears to be starting a trend of bringing in these QBs who were kicked off other teams (Masoli at Ole Miss, Newton at Auburn, and now Mettenberger). Not a very good trend to start, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back