Old Greek Beta or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
oldbetas.png
I am pretty sure the fourth to the last letter in these two words is simply an old form used for beta, and here the printer in the errata has confused a ligature for one of the sigma combinations, but those of you like @Phil D. who've dabbled, what do you think? The printer messed up all around. The original error was ἐκκλεσιαν and the correct reading at Acts 14:23 is ἐκκλησίαν; so I'm not sure what the printer was thinking in not only giving the original error wrong, but also the correction, unless, like I say he confused one of the sigma combinations which looks like this beta but without the upper small circle or even the hook as in the second word, which simply is not a full strike I think rather than another form. See the old ligatures in this old thread: https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/the-ligatures-of-early-printed-greek.95122/ and here even older: https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/help-with-old-greek-font.72681/#post-929022

What makes me doubtful is a regular look beta is used elsewhere in the book, but the form above is not listed as a sigma ligature, at least in the charts given that I have.

It's actually an archaic font for theta θ. I've come across some older books where sometimes this older form is used for the first occurrence within a word and the more usual one for a second.

edit = never mind, I'm mixing that up with a similar character.

Last edited:
Yes, it appears your hunch is correct. More explanation of the "beta without descender" here (p.7)

It's an old beta. The printer got confused because there is an old form of sigma known as the lunate sigma that is similar, but the hooks at the end curve outward, not inward, in Byzantine print.

I agree it is a beta. Hall had the exact same thing in many places and it was always a beta when I checked the original Greek he was referencing.

Acrobat_0WSDPUPIxw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back