Older than Dirt Quiz

I am:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Blackjack gum - it was great. Delicious! Colored your teeth for awhile, but it didn't matter because the only thing anyone would say to you about it was, "Got any more of that gum?"

Wax Coke bottles - very cute. Sometimes, though, you got gypped: almost no liquid in them, once you bit off the top... Those were the good old days, when that was the worst thing that happened to a person all day.

Anyone else remember black wax handlebar mustaches with Coke in 'em and/or wax "goofy teeth," ditto?

Margaret

Surely Jim, you remember Blackjack. You can still buy it at Cracker Barrel restaurants.

black-jack-clove-beemans_small.jpg

Now, that Clove gum is a blast from the past. I remember it as well as the Beeman's, but still don't recall the Black Jack. :lol:

1. Blackjack chewing gum - YES
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water - YES
3. Candy cigarettes - YES
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles - YES
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside jukeboxes - NO
6.Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers - NO
7. Party lines - YES
8.. Newsreels before the movie - NO (but I do remember cartoons)
9. P.F. Flyers - NO
10. Butch wax - NO
11.Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933) - NO
12. Peashooters - YES
13. Howdy Doody - YES
14. 45 RPM records - YES
15.S&H Green Stamps - YES
16. Hi-fi's - YES
17. Metal ice trays with lever - YES
18. Mimeograph paper - NO
19. Blue flashbulb - YES
20. Packards - NO
21. Roller skate keys - YES
22. Cork popguns - YES
23. Drive-ins - YES
24. Studebakers - NO
25. Wash tub wringers - NO

Oh man, you are cruel, cruel! I'm only one off from old as dirt! Of course, in the deep south where I grew up, drinking Coke from small glass bottles comes close to being a religious ritual!

I wasn't sure about the Flyers -- I was guessing either the old red wagons or those balsa wood wind up airplanes that broke 5 seconds after you bought them.

22 was my score. The only three I can't say I directly remember, although I knew about them, was newsreels, Packards, and Studebakers. Yes, I remember the milkman, had party lines, lived in a town where you only had to dial (yes, dial) 4 numbers to call locally, and wore lots of butch wax. And Grandma's old wringer washing machine... I'm older than dirt, and maybe even a few rocks.

-----Added 2/2/2009 at 05:13:53 EST-----

I wasn't sure about the Flyers -- I was guessing either the old red wagons or those balsa wood wind up airplanes that broke 5 seconds after you bought them.
Nope. Sneakers.

Had a friend who believed the commercial that they could make him jump like he was flying, so he tried to jump over a gas station pump. Gave him a huge scar across his cheek.

Last edited:
Aw man, now I remember the milk bottles so that puts me over the top. I was trying to picture cardboard stuffed down in the top, now I recall those little round crimped things that would never stay on in the refrigerator (that my Dad still called an icebox).

Well, I voted before I knew there was a test so I voted wrong...I'm a perfect 10! Hehehehe...oh, I just kill myself with humor!

Well, I voted before I knew there was a test so I voted wrong...I'm a perfect 10! Hehehehe...oh, I just kill myself with humor!

If you remember the movie "Ten", doesn't that bump you up another category?!? ;)

No, no, Marrow my Man! We were not allowed to watch movies when I was little (except for disney and the Hiding Place which I vomited all over when I saw it....that's a whole other thread!) so I didn't see any moive call Ten...still a perfect 10...but keep trying. :p

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside jukeboxes
6.Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
10. Butch wax
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15.S&H Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
19. Blue flashbulb
2. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
25. Wash tub wringers

These are all the ones I remember :)

I remember:

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
7. Party lines [I was on a party line until 1984 or 85 -- and we had four digit dialing!]
14. 45 RPM records [boy, I wish I had saved all of these...]
15.S&H Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper [I used a mimeograph machine as a new teacher in 1990 -- it was more reliable than the photocopier!]
19. Blue flashbulb [oh, yeah, the kind on the Polaroid, right?]
23. Drive-ins [Scottish Lass and I actually went on a date at a drive-in in Brunswick, GA in 2000]

Whew! Ten. Just made it. Maybe I'm a perfect ten too! ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I Remember ALL of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I Remember ALL of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ka-ching! You win the Cracker Jack tin whistle and the Ovaltine Decoder Ring, Dennis!

:rofl:

Ka-ching! You win the Cracker Jack tin whistle and the Ovaltine Decoder Ring, Dennis!

May I have one of those cool plastic Oscar Meyer Weenie Whistles . . . please . . . please . . . please? I always like to blow on one of them while watching the Lone Ranger and playing with my vinyl proto-action figure of Mighty Mouse. You know you are old when you can remember the newfangled "transistor radio" that was real cheap and flimsy because it was "made in Japan." Hey, we still used slide rules in high school! My first exposure to a fancy six function (add, subtract, multiply, divide, square root, and percent) calculator was in my sophomore year in college (and they cost $800 . . . back then). Of course, in high school, battery operated quartz action wrist watches were $2,000 too.

Hey, dirt feels kind of new to me. :eek::lol::rolleyes:

I began to feel old when I realized that the baseball players I watched as a kid were suddenly the managers and coaches. Then I soon realized that all the teen and early-20s heart throbs were now playing the parents of the current crop of heart throbs. And when I taught high school, I noticed over the years that when parents came in for parent conferences, then slowly began to become young than I as the years went by...

May I have one of those cool plastic Oscar Meyer Weenie Whistles . . . please . . . please . . . please? I always like to blow on one of them while watching the Lone Ranger and playing with my vinyl proto-action figure of Mighty Mouse. You know you are old when you can remember the newfangled "transistor radio" that was real cheap and flimsy because it was "made in Japan." Hey, we still used slide rules in high school! My first exposure to a fancy six function (add, subtract, multiply, divide, square root, and percent) calculator was in my sophomore year in college (and they cost $800 . . . back then). Of course, in high school, battery operated quartz action wrist watches were $2,000 too.

Hey, dirt feels kind of new to me. :eek::lol::rolleyes:
Dude, you're scarin' us with the oldness!

That's funny, I was just thinking about blue flashbulbs the other day. I'll never forget the first one I picked up! ouch! :eek: didn't take me long to look at it. :lol:

1. Blackjack chewing gum - yes (they still make it and clove and teaberry)
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water - yes
3. Candy cigarettes - yes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles - yes
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside jukeboxes -yes
6.Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers -nope
7. Party lines - nope (I worked for a phone company last year, and there were still actually two cities in New York that had party lines.)
8.. Newsreels before the movie - nope
9. P.F. Flyers - nope
10. Butch wax - nope
11.Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)-nope
12. Peashooters -yep
13. Howdy Doody -nope
14. 45 RPM records - yep
15.S&H Green Stamps - nope
16. Hi-fi's - yep
17. Metal ice trays with lever -nope (seen them, but never had them)
18. Mimeograph paper -nope (well, sort of, but not enough to count)
19. Blue flashbulb -yep
20. Packards - nope (don't have a clue)
21. Roller skate keys - nope
22. Cork popguns- yep
23. Drive-ins - nope (although there are a couple around where I grew up)
24. Studebakers - nope
25. Wash tub wringers - nope

DENNISSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU MESSSSSSSSSED UP THE DISSSSSSSPLAAAAAAYYYYY WITH ALLLLLLL YOURRRRRR EXCLAMAAAAAAAATION POINTSSSSSS.!

And how come you get all the glory and prizes when I said I remembered all of them before you did? :p

DENNISSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU MESSSSSSSSSED UP THE DISSSSSSSPLAAAAAAYYYYY WITH ALLLLLLL YOURRRRRR EXCLAMAAAAAAAATION POINTSSSSSS.!

And how come you get all the glory and prizes when I said I remembered all of them before you did? :p
His reply was more attention-grabbing, Vic. You know how it is - the squeeky wheel and all. But now this qualifies as squeeking, so I'm sure we can find another one of those tin whistles around here somewhere... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back