Oliver Heywood on being the genuine article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Alas! Sirs, you may make a shift to pass through this world unsuspected; many Moralists, yea, Christians, may subscribe their Names to your Testimonial, and give you the Right Hand of fellowship in this world, when you must be set at the Left in the next: Things will not then be carried as they are now. Deal faithfully with God and your own Souls; see you have the Root of the Matter, the Life of Grace: you may herd amongst the Sheep now, and be found amongst Goats at last.

A King will give his Subjects liberty to travel into another King’s Dominions, reserving their Loyalty to their own King: Papists in Queen Elizabeth’s days, being commanded to go to Church, or be punished, sent to the Pope for a Resolution of this Case of Conscience: His Answer was, They might comply; but Fili, da mihi cor, My Son, give me thy Heart: Thus the Devil will give you leave to read, pray, hear, receive, attend on Ordinances; but as long as he hath you fast by the Heart-strings, you are still his Slaves, none of God’s Servants: for the Soul is the Man: As a man thinketh in his Heart, so is he, Prov. 23.7. ...

For more, see Oliver Heywood on being the genuine article.

Thanks to the release of EEBO II, I am able to read the fine treatise from which I have taken this extract. God has given us such great access to so many outstanding sources. Make sure to utilise them.

Interesting; the two works I checked, Bownd on the Sabbath and Rogers Naamen the Syrian, are oddities. TCP says in their description they focused on first editions unless it was known the author revised the work. I guess they didn't study Bownd as they only have the shorter 1595 first edition of his work. On Naamen the Syrian I had obtained the text of this via their EEBO db but it did not make it into either phase I or II of TCP even though it has a typed text. I can't figure out from their explanation of title selection why that might be, especially if the text got typed up. I wonder if there are some stragglers making it to the online access indices?
Just go to the Browse EEBO-TCP Phase II link to find all the new stuff that is not available in Phase I.

Interesting; the two works I checked, Bownd on the Sabbath and Rogers Naamen the Syrian, are oddities. TCP says in their description they focused on first editions unless it was known the author revised the work. I guess they didn't study Bownd as they only have the shorter 1595 first edition of his work. On Naamen the Syrian I had obtained the text of this via their EEBO db but it did not make it into either phase I or II of TCP even though it has a typed text. I can't figure out from their explanation of title selection why that might be, especially if the text got typed up. I wonder if there are some stragglers making it to the online access indices?
My bad; partly. Rogers' Naamen the Syrian is online as part of the release of Phase II but you get to it via the search engine; the static indices you can browse for phase I and II apparently have not been updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back