Olympics Host

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripel

Puritan Board Senior
The Olympics will not be coming to Chicago, unfortunately. I was surprised they were eliminated so early from the running. I thought it was surely come down to Chicago and Rio. Hopefully Rio will get it.

I also think Rio would be a good choice. The Olympics have never been held in South America.

The Olympics will not be coming to Chicago, unfortunately. I was surprised they were eliminated so early from the running. I thought it was surely come down to Chicago and Rio. Hopefully Rio will get it.

Personally, being from Chicago, I'm glad. Given the history of Olympic host cities, Chicago doesn't need the headaches. Besides we have Richard Daley as mayor and a long history of corruption and cronyism.

I'm actually chuckling a bit...the world gives a slap to our beloved President :lol:. Our president should be focusing more on foreign and domestic problems, not carrying water for the Daley Administration at the IOC. But then maybe it's better that he distracted himself from ruining our constitutional gov't system for a few days...

My money is likewise on Rio.

Although, if this article is correct, maybe Chicago should be thankful - Few Profits, Many Cost Overruns Expected for Olympic Hosts | Online NewsHour | October 1, 2009 | PBS

The costs of hosting are often grossly underestimated, and the positive economic impact is much overestimated.

That's what I was thinking...why take on the cost???
I haven't read your article, but I thought I remembered hearing that Beijing LOST money??

If I were the Olympic Committee, I would have chosen anywhere else, just so as to not feel bullied by celebrities. I'm kind of an anti-peer pressure kind of girl, though.

I also live ith Chicagoland and am comforted that now the Chicago did not win. Unless you live in this area you have no idea how much we are ruled by dirty politics and under the table deals. The extra money the Olympics would have only brought more graft, bribes and pay offs. Thank God who in His mercy kept this from happening.

All four sports reporters on our national sports radio were rooting for Rio, but they all feared that Chicago would win due to the 'Obama factor'. Clearly not much of a factor after all.

If I were the Olympic Committee, I would have chosen anywhere else, just so as to not feel bullied by celebrities. I'm kind of an anti-peer pressure kind of girl, though.

I think that's exactly what they did.

Isn't the cost of hosting it far excessive of the benefits to the nation that pays a living wage to the workers on the project?

Maybe this will allow Obama to meet with our Top Commander In Afghanistan for more than 25 minutes.

That was done (as you know) to help legitimize his trip which included an entourage of two Presidential 747's, another aircraft filled with his motorcade vehicles, staff, etc. And I'm sure he stayed in the Danish equivalent of Motel 6.

I'm actually happy it won't be in Chicago. We've had it in the US so many times, and its never been in South America.

Maybe this will allow Obama to meet with our Top Commander In Afghanistan for more than 25 minutes.

Seriously.

The assumption was made by many that the Obama trip to Denmark was a mere formality and that the Chicago bid was as good as approved. This merely reinforces the fact that in in the mundane areas of international relations, we have a lightweight president.

BTW, I'm sure Chicago is better off for not having won this bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back