Omnipresence and Hell in the writings of the Church Fathers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qoheleth

Puritan Board Freshman
Are there any examples of the Church Fathers claiming that God's omnipresence also included Hell? (I don't think this point is hard to prove at all from Scripture, but it's beneficial to see how the Fathers interpreted the text as well.)

Book I of Augustine's Confessions quotes Psalm 139 quite poetically:

"And how shall I call upon my God -- my God and my Lord? For when I call on him I ask him to come into me. And what place is there in me into which my God can come? How could God, the God who made both heaven and earth, come into me? Is there anything in me, O Lord my God, that can contain thee? Do even the heaven and the earth, which thou hast made, and in which thou didst make me, contain thee? Is it possible that, since without thee nothing would be which does exist, thou didst make it so that whatever exists has some capacity to receive thee? Why, then, do I ask thee to come into me, since I also am and could not be if thou wert not in me? For I am not, after all, in hell -- and yet thou art there too, for 'if I go down into hell, thou art there.' Therefore I would not exist -- I would simply not be at all -- unless I exist in thee, from whom and by whom and in whom all things are. Even so, Lord; even so. Where do I call thee to, when I am already in thee? Or from whence wouldst thou come into me? Where, beyond heaven and earth, could I go that there my God might come to me -- he who hath said, 'I fill heaven and earth'?"

Our 1647 WLC written by the same Assembly that wrote the WCF is one example:

Q. 29. What are the punishments of sin in the world to come?

A. The punishments of sin in the world to come, are everlasting separation from the comfortable presence of God, and most grievous torments in soul and body, without intermission, in hell-fire forever. (emphasis added)

Our 1647 WLC written by the same Assembly that wrote the WCF is one example:

Q. 29. What are the punishments of sin in the world to come?

A. The punishments of sin in the world to come, are everlasting separation from the comfortable presence of God, and most grievous torments in soul and body, without intermission, in hell-fire forever. (emphasis added)
Could that Hell though also be a metaphor for denoting existing apart from God forever? As in maybe not a literal Oven roasting sinners?

Could that Hell though also be a metaphor for denoting existing apart from God forever? As in maybe not a literal Oven roasting sinners?
I assume you are asking about "hell-fire" here. Whatever the literal actuality of Hell is, I am confident that if it were just eternal flames, those therein would be quite happy. It will be much worse than that, brother. It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back