On adoring the Holy Trinity (Gregory of Nazianzus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I adore the Father, I adore the Son, I adore the Holy Ghost; or rather We adore them; I, who am speaking, before all and after all and with all, in the same Christ our Lord, to whom be the glory and the might for ever. Amen.

Gregory of Nazianzus, Oration XXXVII. On the Words of the Gospel, “When Jesus had finished these sayings,” etc. – S. Matt. XIX. I. (n.d.), 24 in Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers 2, 7: 344.

P.S. Does anyone here know where I can get online access to this work in Greek?

@py3ak - Thanks, Ruben. I was wanting to check the Greek word that is translated as "Priests" in Oration XXXVII.23 [NPNF, 7: 344]. While my Greek is somewhere between non-existent and very rusty, from what I can tell from the source that you have given me, the original word is πρεσβυτέροις (presbyters). If someone with greater linguistic knowledge may confirm that my reading is accurate, that would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
Did you mean XXXVII.23? "I enact this for Laymen too, and I enjoin it also upon all Priests, and upon those commissioned to rule."
Latin: "Haec et laicis praescribo, haec at presbyteros mando, haec et iis, quibus imperium creditum est."
Greek: Ταυτα και λαικοις νομοθετω, ταυτα και πρεσβυτεροις εντελλομαι, ταυτα και τοις αρχειν πεπιστευμενοις.

The Greek is clearly "elder" but the word "priest" comes from that as it was loaned from Greek to Latin, and then transmitted through the intervening stages into English.

Did you mean XXXVII.23? "I enact this for Laymen too, and I enjoin it also upon all Priests, and upon those commissioned to rule."
Latin: "Haec et laicis praescribo, haec at presbyteros mando, haec et iis, quibus imperium creditum est."
Greek: Ταυτα και λαικοις νομοθετω, ταυτα και πρεσβυτεροις εντελλομαι, ταυτα και τοις αρχειν πεπιστευμενοις.

The Greek is clearly "elder" but the word "priest" comes from that as it was loaned from Greek to Latin, and then transmitted through the intervening stages into English.

Yes, I meant 23. Thanks, that confirms what I had suspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back