On Confessing Sins

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Here's an interesting statement by Turretin in his Elenctic Theology, Volume 3, Page 556:

"John orders sins to be confessed, not to a priest, but to God, who is faithful and just to forgive us our sins (1 John 1.9), to whom David confessed (Psalm 32.5). Again, that confession means nothing else than that we should confess ourselves to be sinners, and not that we should recount all our sins singly, with their circumstances." (bold mine)

This, I assume, is his interpretation of the two passages cited. His context is refuting the Roman Catholic doctrine of penance, which includes auricular confession.

Thoughts?

My first thought is that this will require more thought and study before formulating a response. And prayer for wisdom and understanding. :think::pray2:

I agree that in the compound sense, God know our sins already. In the divided, it is not unorthodox to cite particular sins specifically that grieve us. When I take the supper, I use the compound; otherwise, I am found citing personal sins, singularly. I don't believe that it is any more pious to understand that we are sinners and hold fast to God's omnipotence in the matter.

I can agree with the Quote in the OP given the context of the writing. However, I am also a firm believer in confessing/repenting of particular sins quite particularly:detective:.

Last edited:
If you are tempted to imagine you need to confess every sin in order to be forgiven by your harsh Father, so that your confession becomes a fearful incantation that you hope will work its magic, or if you tend to focus so much on your failures that you lose your joy and forget that Christ gives victory... then you need to stop confessing so many individual sins.

But if you tend to saunter through life with no concern about your sins, imagining that they have little effect on your relationship with your Father, and that you have little need for his sanctifying help or to enjoy his sure forgiveness anew every day... then you need to start confessing more individual sins.

Personally, I tend toward the second description.

Personally, I tend toward the second description.

I suppose I fit both descriptions, depending on the time of day.

Usually I start the day sauntering and complacent. Pretty full of myself, actually. But at some point I metaphorically look down at the mess of sins at my feet--it reminds me of a dairy manure pit and I'm overwhelmed.

I don't think a day goes by that I fail to pray the tax collector's prayer in Luke 18. The passage remains a very strong comfort for me.

When I'm made aware of my sin, I remember that God is far better aware of it before I was, and I thank his Spirit for the conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back