On Posting Terrible Events

Discussion in 'Updates & Information' started by greenbaggins, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

I would invite everyone to read Tim Challies' excellent blog post on reporting on bad events.

It would seem to me that the best way to go about deciding whether to post on a negative event or not is to ask yourself some of the following questions: will this affect the lives of the PB members in terms of decisions they must make? Will this edify the PB members? Or am I posting this for negative entertainment? Do we constantly need to be looking, as Tim says, at the underbelly of the church? I also feel that we need to ask ourselves whether or not we take as much obvious delight in the good things happening in the church as we take secret negative delight in other churches' foibles, heresies, and failures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2017
  2. Scott1

Scott1 Puritan Board Doctor

Westminster Larger Catechism

May God have mercy on us all.

3. MrMerlin777

MrMerlin777 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Thanks for posting this. Good stuff.

4. OPC'n

OPC'n Puritan Board Doctor

Here, here! It does seem that we are more interested in the bad of things than the good of things at times.

5. MrMerlin777

MrMerlin777 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Indeed, hear, hear!

6. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Professor

Terrible events - you mean like the recent presidential election? :D

7. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

On the other hand, we don't want to fall into the trap of covering up sin out of a misplaced sense of charity.

8. Montanablue

Montanablue Puritan Board Doctor

That's a really excellent blog entry - thank you for sharing! I was talking about Matthew 7 with a friend earlier this week and this is really relevant to our conversation. :)

9. Prufrock

Prufrock Arbitrary Moderation

*Bump*

Pastor Keister posted a good reminder for us all a few months ago; I thought it was worthy of being read again. As he reminded us, before posting a story about some ridiculous or blasphemous thing occurring in some assembly that has the name "church" in front of it, ask yourself: What do I hope to accomplish by posting this? How will this edify others?

10. Skyler

Skyler Puritan Board Graduate

I have thought of this before and am grateful that the mods decided to bring this up. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.