On the jaded side of the Christian track................

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
If jaded is too strong allow me to give my example, then either use it or, use a mental white-out and insert what you feel is a more proper semantic device. ;) I was read the Gospel of St. John, and I hit John 3:16. I began to ponder on it, reflect and meditate on it, I really have not "REALLY LOOKED" in years ! The verse, it comes a far as a single verse can go, in capturing the Christian hope in a nutshell. THEN, I thought as such, why have I not meditated on 3:16, to my shame, it hit me! The "CBA" store key-chains, bumper stickers....the dude in the arena with the rainbow wig and the 3:16 sign. It almost makes us (sadly) pull away! A magnificent verse yet I and I am sure at least a few others may have had almost a shameful "pullback" from a great verse over silly trite use. This is but one example, one I thought on last night. I FURTHER thought of a "law" used in Philosophy, Logic, Theology and other disciplines the "law" in a nutshell is this: The Improper Use Of A Thing Does Not Invalidate or Negate The Proper Use. Good Logic indeed. I began to wonder how much we the Reformed orthodox give away to improper. I once did a thread asking if we needed to defend, dust off and define in the Biblical, Historic sense...the proper understanding of evangelical. To my sadness...most feel it should be tossed out the window. I sent aBrother a PM, asking if an Improper use were made of Reformed would you abandon it lightly as well? "Yes he told me, just a word." Words have power! I mean a great power (no, not in some Magical/Mystery sense), it is a power that builds like water behind a dam, collective wisdom and reflection from 2 thousand years. I for one am sick to death of giving ground on this! Again! Improper Use Of A Thing Does Not Invalidate or Negate The Proper! I wonder if I have other Brethren have deal with such things. I would love feedback/examples/proper ways to reclaim a pure Biblical understanding. Why do we give things up so easily?:detective:

It seems that we all possess the ability to fall into two errors: 1. To toss out a good thing because of its abuse, or 2. To try to fight this tendancy by embracing the abuse. Depending on the person and the issue, people will tend toward one or another. Here's some wisdom from a covenanter:

THIRDLY, we must distinguish betwixt the coercive power of the Magistrate in matters of religion, and the abuse of that power; when we justify the power, we justify not the abuse of it; and when we condemn the abuse, we must not therefore condemn the power.

May God give us grace to do neither in any issue.

Cheers,

It seems that we all possess the ability to fall into two errors: 1. To toss out a good thing because of its abuse, or 2. To try to fight this tendancy by embracing the abuse. Depending on the person and the issue, people will tend toward one or another. Here's some wisdom from a covenanter:

THIRDLY, we must distinguish betwixt the coercive power of the Magistrate in matters of religion, and the abuse of that power; when we justify the power, we justify not the abuse of it; and when we condemn the abuse, we must not therefore condemn the power.

May God give us grace to do neither in any issue.

Cheers,
Very well stated! Solid valid points Adam. I feel that we, the Reformed "tend" to (in general) err on point 1 in your post. A willingness to fall back and give away certain things. The upside is I do not (again in general see us, the Reformed) doing the 2nd mistake quite as often. I think we need to use that strong point on the 2nd issue as a starting point to restore a better perspective on point 1. Thank you Adam.

John 3:16 is the Gospel in a beautiful nutshell.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”

Wow.

Amen.

John 3:16 is the Gospel in a beautiful nutshell.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”

Wow.

Amen.
Nathan digs it! Right on! I used Jn 3:16 as an example, but it is a POWERFUL one! It is indeed as "close" to having the Gospel "nutshell" in a single verse, a short verse!

Some great points, and I've been thinking along those lines, too. How often do we fail to condemn the misuse of that which is good?

Amen J. I LOVE the word/term, Evangelical, as LONG as it is understood in the Classic/Ancient/Historical/Biblical sense! I LOATHE the idea of giving up a word so power-packed, JUST because...some began to muddle it some in the early 20th Century? No, I think we have "duty" to protect a Biblical word from "the goths and vandals".... The "erosion" does diminish us, we cannot retreat forever! We, my Brethren must take a stand! We cannot create some ghetto mindset and have our own little internal "lingo"....it helps neither us nor the cause of Christ! Some may think I over-blow this! I do not feel I do! Word are important! They hold value, and to state the obvious, it is even more the case with with words from The Word! Blessings my dear Brethren.

I agree. Even in the secular side of things. I have a dear cousin who's given
name is "Gay". How cheated she must feel that her name has been so cheapened.

I agree. Even in the secular side of things. I have a dear cousin who's given
name is "Gay". How cheated she must feel that her name has been so cheapened.
Oddly! That is a good example of Semantic erosion, while my focus was Biblical terms that is a good example of how our VOCABULARY being "hijacked"....I find it sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back