On the sin of not changing opinions for fear of being thought fickle (Augustine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Shame brings sin when anyone is ashamed to change a wrong sentiment for fear of being thought fickle, or of being judged by his own evidence of long-continued error …

Augustine of Hippo, ‘Letter 93 to Vincent, 408’ in Letters: Volume II (c. 405-12), trans. Wilfred Parsons, The Fathers of the Church: A New Translation, 18 (New York: The Fathers of the Church, 1953), p. 105.

I say this in fear and trembling, but I do not doubt there are not a few ministers who hold a comfortable position of teaching elder who compromise their own conscience and biblical convictions for this very reason, or to avoid potential strife and difficulty.

Fear of man can also prevail here on PB. And I expect, in the depths of every heart on earth. May God deliver us all. Praise Him for Jesus.

Given that, in context, he is writing against the Donatists, I believe that Augustine's comments apply most directly to those who adopt overly hardline views, but who are unwilling to forsake them for fear of losing face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back