On this day, Matthew Henry was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
download.jpeg
The beloved Bible commentator was born this day in 1662 to the non-conformist Puritan, Philip Henry. Here are some details on his early life from Meet the Puritans:

"Matthew Henry, the celebrated Bible commentator, was born at Broad Oak, Flintshire, on October 18, 1662, less than two months after his father, Philip Henry, was ejected from the ministry in the Church of England. Born prematurely, he was a frail child, yet was spiritually robust and gifted in learning. He was educated primarily by his father, with the assistance of tutors.
Henry entered Thomas Doolittle’s academy at Islington in 1680. He studied there under Doolittle and Thomas Vincent for two years; then, when persecution forced the academy to relocate, Henry moved to the estate of Bronington, Flintshire, which he inherited from Daniel Matthews, his maternal grandfather."

Matthew Henry's first wife, Katherine, developed smallpox while pregnant with their child. She died shortly after giving birth at the age of 25. Henry wrote the following in response to her death:
"I know nothing that could support me under such a loss as this, but the good hope that she is gone to heaven, and that, in a little time, I shall follow her thither."

The suffering these men endured was incredible, yet their writings are overflowing with joy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back