On this Pentecostal and confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.L.Smith

Puritan Board Freshman
My family is oneness Pentecostal also alcoholic looking for some books to help them as they are uneducated.

What a combo. I imagine they cycle between being “in church” and “out of church?” Or have they been “out of church” for a long time but still convinced of the Oneness Pentecostal heresies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneness Pentecostal
Greetings,

Can anyone point me to a resource that explains what the "Oneness Pentecostal" view is? I searched the PB but nothing jumped out to me.
I was too lazy to Google it, so don't go to any trouble for me. Help me out only if the answer is well known to you and easy to get to. I can surely research it myself.

Thanks,

Greetings,

Can anyone point me to a resource that explains what the "Oneness Pentecostal" view is? I searched the PB but nothing jumped out to me.
I was too lazy to Google it, so don't go to any trouble for me. Help me out only if the answer is well known to you and easy to get to. I can surely research it myself.

Thanks,

Oneness=modalism. They deny the Trinity.

While some of them have become more “liberal” in recent years with regard to things like clothing and appearance, especially for women, (that legalism is mainly what some people know them for) they are still characterized by the following heresies:

1) Denial of the Trinity
2) Teaching that you have to speak in tongues to be saved
3) Teaching that you have to be baptized by immersion in the name of Jesus to be saved—Trinitarian baptism doesn’t count.

This is basically a cult and arguably a more insidious one than Mormonism or JW. Some Oneness Pentecostals who have made inroads into mainstream evangelicalism in recent years include Tommy Tenney, TD Jakes, and the musical group Phillips, Craig and Dean. Jake’s claims to be Trinitarian now but some are not so sure.

The Wikipedia article appears to be decent. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneness_Pentecostalism

Last edited:
Greetings,

Thanks,
Oneness Pentecostals and the Trinity by Gregory Boyd

There was one single Oneness Pentecostal in the old ExCharisma e-mail group I used to run. It seemed she was open to the truth for a while, but later became so embittered that she ultimately rejected Christianity altogether. I had thought that appealing to the authority of Scripture would be sufficient, and in many cases that might be true for OPs in general. I'm not familiar enough with OPs to say with certainty.

There was one single Oneness Pentecostal in the old ExCharisma e-mail group I used to run. It seemed she was open to the truth for a while, but later became so embittered that she ultimately rejected Christianity altogether. I had thought that appealing to the authority of Scripture would be sufficient, and in many cases that might be true for OPs in general. I'm not familiar enough with OPs to say with certainty.

From a practical standpoint, many of them trust in their experience more than they trust in Scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back