"One Assembly" by Jonathan Leeman

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Has anyone read this book, published in 2020 by Crossway?

In it, Leeman says that churches should not have multiple sites and should not have multiple services. (I haven't read the book or even seen a copy. I'm going by a couple of videos he posted to YouTube.) He makes various lexical, exegetical, and theological arguments for this.

If you have read it, what are your thoughts?

Leeman is a hypocrite. He wrote that book and then was all for shutting down all churches during covid and having people worship via telechurch.

I would caution you greatly on leeman. He is connected 9 marks which is a woke institution. He talks about earning "social capital" with the world and other non biblical nonsense. He also denies that CRT is even an issue in the church. It is only recently that he is starting to walk back some of his big eva nonsense. If he repents, that is great. My guess is he can sense the tide changing and doesnt want to get left behind.

Leeman is a hypocrite. He wrote that book and then was all for shutting down all churches during covid and having people worship via telechurch.

I would caution you greatly on leeman. He is connected 9 marks which is a woke institution. He talks about earning "social capital" with the world and other non biblical nonsense. He also denies that CRT is even an issue in the church. It is only recently that he is starting to walk back some of his big eva nonsense. If he repents, that is great. My guess is he can sense the tide changing and doesnt want to get left behind.

Wow. Good thing I haven't read the book, then.

9Marks = 9Marxist

In it, Leeman says that churches should not have multiple sites and should not have multiple services. (I haven't read the book or even seen a copy. I'm going by a couple of videos he posted to YouTube.) He makes various lexical, exegetical, and theological arguments for this.

If you have read it, what are your thoughts?

I haven't read Leeman's book and it is extremely doubtful I ever will. However, I agree with the opinion that churches shouldn't have multiple sites. There was an Acts 29 non-denom church near me that had a main site downtown and a satellite "campus" about 20 minutes away. On Sundays the "live" service was held downtown while the satellite campus streamed it from another location on a big screen. I heard that an elder would rotate each week to be the in person presence at the satellite location, but other than that it was a worship service done via distance. This was one of the more bizarre innovations I have heard of.

If you are going to plant a church then plant a church, but the idea you can have one congregation meeting at various locations across a geographic area is ridiculous.

Streamed worship is not worship.

Telecast sermons are not sermons.

Digital holograms are not pastors.

Satellite campuses are not churches.

Streamed worship is not worship.

Telecast sermons are not sermons.

Digital holograms are not pastors.

Satellite campuses are not churches.

This time two years ago, virtually everyone knew that these propositions were true. Are they any less true just because there is a virus doing the rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back