One More Textus Receptus Critique Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 12919 by request
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this thread has evolved into something different than what the OP asked (I believe the OP has been sufficiently answered, too). Can a new thread be started on TR-adherents and Bible translations? Keep the party going.
The following threads have been started to clean this thread up.
1) Discuss TR translations: https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/best-available-translations-of-the-tr-in-2022.109298/
2) Discuss favorite bibles: https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/what-is-your-favorite-non-KJV-tr-based-english-bible.109299/

This is an important observation. It’s fine to have translation preferences, but some brothers talk about the translation question almost as if it’s on the same level as the textual question.
Exactly. And thus earn themselves the pejorative they denounce.

This is an important observation. It’s fine to have translation preferences, but some brothers talk about the translation question almost as if it’s on the same level as the textual question.
Preferences yes, but wouldn’t you say it is a bit difficult separating the two when the translations are based on whichever set of texts they’re using?

Preferences yes, but wouldn’t you say it is a bit difficult separating the two when the translations are based on whichever set of texts they’re using?
Not when they're translating from the same text, ie, KJV GNV MEV NKJV or ESV NASB CSB etc

Hopefully we don't translate from any of those translations.
I believe @danekristjan was trying to say the KJV, GNV, MEV and NKJV are all of TR and likewise the ESV, NASB and CSB are all of the CT.

@Before Though I think your point also has some merit in that ones preference for the ESV or KJV (*insert favorite version here*) can be strongly rooted in the textual tradition it is translated from, especially when one believes it to be the most reliable of a given tradition.

So in a way, perhaps your points don't even need to be reconciled to each other.

I believe @danekristjan was trying to say the KJV, GNV, MEV and NKJV are all of TR and likewise the ESV, NASB and CSB are all of the CT.
If that’s the case I made the same mistake as many translators make.
…will work for food accuracy.

This may be true of individuals brought up in a church that regularly preaches from the KJV, but I don't believe this is true for the society at large, especially with the public schools the way they are and some individuals being functionally illiterate.

This is not true for me. I was not raised in Church. I was raised at the Drag Strip on Saturdays and Sundays. I basically had an 8th grade education when I became a Christian. I started partying at age 12 and quit school when I was 16. My mother started going to Church when Dad left home. I was 15 I think. She encouraged me to read the Living Bible for a few years till I ended up getting arrested for stealing a car. I finally started reading it when I was in the Navy and I became a Christian in Oct of 81. I quickly was catered to the NASB. I ended up giving it away to someone and went full on KJV. I did take a Summer off and read the whole old testament in the NIV. I spent a lot of time reading. LOL. I basically had an 8th grade education when I started reading the KJV. A few years after enlisting I was tested to determine my reading level. I was determined to have a second year of College reading level. I love my KJV.

Then I met J. P. Green Sr. He republished Burgon's 'Unholy Hands on the Bible'. My kids called him Grandpa Jay. It was because of him I could see through Dr. Oakley's (James White) misrepresentations about Jay. He is sloppy in my estimation. I have noted that when he use to be a member of the board.

The KJV isn't that hard to read.

This is not true for me. I was not raised in Church. I was raised at the Drag Strip on Saturdays and Sundays. I basically had an 8th grade education when I became a Christian. I started partying at age 12 and quit school when I was 16. My mother started going to Church when Dad left home. I was 15 I think. She encouraged me to read the Living Bible for a few years till I ended up getting arrested for stealing a car. I finally started reading it when I was in the Navy and I became a Christian in Oct of 81. I quickly was catered to the NASB. I ended up giving it away to someone and went full on KJV. I did take a Summer off and read the whole old testament in the NIV. I spent a lot of time reading. LOL. I basically had an 8th grade education when I started reading the KJV. A few years after enlisting I was tested to determine my reading level. I was determined to have a second year of College reading level. I love my KJV.

Then I met J. P. Green Sr. He republished Burgon's 'Unholy Hands on the Bible'. My kids called him Grandpa Jay. It was because of him I could see through Dr. Oakley's (James White) misrepresentations about Jay. He is sloppy in my estimation. I have noted that when he use to be a member of the board.

I was not disputing that the KJV cannot be learned. It can. I just figure there are other TR texts out there that I believe do a better job at communicating in modern English (NKJV). This is of course my opinion.

Also, glad to hear that the Lord brought you through all of the events you described above and then to himself. Praise God.

What is Dean Burgon's influence upon this discussion today. He was the Anglican stalwart for the Majority TR side for a long time.

I also love my KJV. I paste several verses from it each day on my Facebook to share with people who may not yet believe. It is not hard to read. Study of it is how I came around to rejecting the sloppy soft Christianity so prevalent today and becoming reformed.

I was not disputing that the KJV cannot be learned. It can. I just figure there are other TR texts out there that I believe do a better job at communicating in modern English (NKJV). This is of course my opinion.

Also, glad to hear that the Lord brought you through all of the events you described above and then to himself. Praise God.

I am not one who attacks the NKJV or the MEV - but I simply do not find them as excellent as the KJV. The MEV has some embarrassing translation errors (see: rereward in the KJV becoming reward - almost like they did not translate from the Hebrew? maybe it needs a few more revisions) and the NKJV does deviate a bit from the TR at places. I do recommend them to those who might struggle with the KJV for private reading. But for public ministry - especially as the Word is preached - along with explained / exposited - in my opinion, the KJV remains the gold standard for public ministry. Easy to memorize, memorable phrasing, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back