One of the best titles of any puritan work I've ever read by Thomas Doolittle

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
I love titles. The puritans had a knack for titles both in their books and their sermons. I'd have to say that the title of this work is one of my favorites. It's picturesque.

Captives Bound in Chains Made Free by Christ – by Thomas Doolittle (1632–1707)

Thomas Doolittle (1632–1707),was a nonconformist tutor and preacher, who was converted by God through Richard Baxter’s work “The Saint’s Everlasting Rest.” He was a popular Presbyterian preacher and teacher in his day.

In this work Doolittle exhorts and teaches from Isaiah 61:1, “The Spirit of the Lord God is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good tidings to the meek. He has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound.” This is a thoroughly evangelical work that demonstrates the practical reasons why sinners are bound up by sin and the devil, and need to be delivered from the bondage of a depraved mind and will. He covers reasons such as ignorance, prejudice, love of the world, presumption, despair and a number of others as to why sinners often do not come to Christ. He also expounds on what freedom in Christ is, and how one may obtain being freed by Christ from their chains of sin and wickedness. It is in a word AWESOME in just about every way, from the title to its contents. This is not a scan or facsimile, and has been updated in modern English for easy reading. It also has an active table of contents for electronic versions.

ePub Pack at the Puritan Shop
Captives Bound in Chains Made Free by Christ - by Thomas Doolittle at the Puritan Shop

Kindle Version
Captives Bound in Chains Made Free by Christ: Thomas Doolittle: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Print Version
Captives Bound in Chains Made Free by Christ by Thomas Doolittle (Hardcover)

CaptivesDoolittleCOVER PS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back