One Of The Greatest Secrets Of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
In my 32 years, I have come to discover one of the greatest and most important secrets of life, and that is to take every single negative thought, and immediately turn it into a positive one. The goal is to have the mind always in a place of joy and positivity. There is no limit to how this simple practice will do wonders in every way for one's life. Philippians 4:8 and 1 Thessalonians 5:16 are key verses.

For real :)

I don't mean to be a downer but I have had a lot of selfish, sinful, and lustful thoughts throughout my life. Even as responses to things happening to me. Those I just have to cast down, bring in to captivity, and mortify. There is nothing that can possibly be made positive out of some things. ;)

Jacob on here suggested a book by a philosopher guy who got depressed. In this book he describes listing praises or rehearsing God's goodnesses in your mind, almost in a meditative sense. It is hard to be depressed when you are always grateful and thankful. In the end God makes all things right, though we die, though tragedies happen, though we suffer debilitating illness. God wins in the end and His people are brought safely home. If we are saved all things are for God's glory and for our good.

Definitely having a positive attitude and trying to see the good in everything has been a major help to me in life. These passages help me a ton when I get down.

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Php 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Php 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Php 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Php 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Psa 103:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Psa 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Psa 103:3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Psa 103:4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
Psa 103:5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.
Psa 103:6 The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.
Psa 103:7 He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel.
Psa 103:8 The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.
Psa 103:9 He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.
Psa 103:10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
Psa 103:11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
Psa 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
Psa 103:13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.
Psa 103:14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
Psa 103:15 As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
Psa 103:16 For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
Psa 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;
Psa 103:18 To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.
Psa 103:19 The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.
Psa 103:20 Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.
Psa 103:21 Bless ye the LORD, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.
Psa 103:22 Bless the LORD, all his works in all places of his dominion: bless the LORD, O my soul.

Definitely having a positive attitude and trying to see the good in everything has been a major help to me in life. These passages help me a ton when I get down.

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Php 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Php 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Php 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Php 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Psa 103:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Psa 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Psa 103:3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Psa 103:4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
Psa 103:5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.
Psa 103:6 The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.
Psa 103:7 He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel.
Psa 103:8 The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.
Psa 103:9 He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.
Psa 103:10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
Psa 103:11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
Psa 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
Psa 103:13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.
Psa 103:14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
Psa 103:15 As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
Psa 103:16 For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
Psa 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;
Psa 103:18 To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.
Psa 103:19 The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.
Psa 103:20 Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.
Psa 103:21 Bless ye the LORD, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.
Psa 103:22 Bless the LORD, all his works in all places of his dominion: bless the LORD, O my soul.

I will pray for you brother. You are dear to me, and also to Christ. The best is yet to come for you. Better than we can even imagine!

The best is yet to come for you. Better than we can even imagine!
Absolutely! And that is true for Ryan also. Life gets real hard sometimes and even unbearable in our thinking but God is faithful and good. He is faithful even when we are faithless.
2Ti 2:13 if we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself.

Absolutely! And that is true for Ryan also. Life gets real hard sometimes and even unbearable in our thinking but God is faithful and good. He is faithful even when we are faithless.
2Ti 2:13 if we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself.
Thanks! Btw, do you ever go to Turkey Run state park? What an amazing place!

I seldom get the blues or melancholy but my wife does more often. Thanks for the input on this thread.

Thanks! Btw, do you ever go to Turkey Run state park? What an amazing place!
Yes, and I use to Deer hunt just South of there. I love the area. It is my favorite State Park. Give us a yell if you are heading there. I might be able to meet up. It aint that far.

Let me make a shameless promotion for a Book Review post I made recently https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/god’s-battle-plan-for-the-mind-by-david-saxton.100337/ . It is important to learn how to meditate on Scripture during times of great trial and discouragement (I speak from personal experience). As I note in that review there is a danger of mysticism and pagan meditation that is sweeping our globe. Thankfully there are a growing number of Puritan works to help us on Biblical meditation. Here are some other helpful links http://www.puritanpublications.com/store/products/category/divine-meditation/ and https://www.heritagebooks.org/Search.html#/Search.html?search=meditation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back