One of these things is too much like the other one

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
One of these things is too much like the other.
320069298_3280750972179541_2308809435261748177_n.jpg

AngloCatholic
: “No doubt, as God’s extraordinary presence has hallowed and sanctified certain places, so they are His extraordinary works that have truly and worthily advanced certain times, for which cause they ought to be, with all men that honor God, more holy than other days.” Richard Hooker, AngloCatholic Theologian (c.1554–1600), “Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity,” in Works (1821), 2.282. Cf. Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies (2013), p. 132.
Modern Presbyterian?: “When God touches earth, the place is holy. When God appears in history, the time is holy. There was never a more holy place than the city of Bethlehem, where the Word became flesh. There was never a more holy time than Christmas morning when Emmanuel was born. Christmas is a holiday. It is the holiest of holy days.” R. C. Sproul, “Don’t Be a Scrooge This Christmas”.
This is different than the other two:
Real Presbyterian: “As of places, so of times, our opposites think most superstitiously. For of holy days Hooker says thus, No doubt as God’s extraordinary presence has hallowed and sanctified certain places, so they are His extraordinary works that have truly and worthily advanced certain times, for which cause they ought to be with all men that honor God more holy than other days. What is this but popish superstition? For just so the Rhemists think that the times and places of Christ’s nativity, passion, burial, resurrection, and ascension, were made holy; and just so Bellarmine holds, that Christ did consecrate the days of His nativity, passion, and resurrection, being born in that stable He consecrated it; dying, the cross; rising again, the tomb. Hooker has been of opinion, that the holy days were so advanced above other days, by God’s great and extraordinary work done upon them, that they should have been holier than other days, even albeit the church had not appointed them to be kept holy. George Gillespie, Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies (2013), p. 141.
I've posted this before but it bears repeating this year especially.

This aspect of Sproul is always one of the things that really makes me scratch my head about him.

This aspect of Sproul is always one of the things that really makes me scratch my head about him.
From a Presbyterian point of view think about the fact that he basically held Archbishop Laud's and the AngloCatholic's view of worship w.r.t holy days at the least, images of Christ (not seen but reported to me that nude roman-greco style images of Christ used to adorn St Andrews' sanctuary until they moved them to a foyer, after or before his death not sure) and the Lord's Day w.r.t. recreating. However, in this he was not unique in our day unfortunately.

Last edited:
The implication for the "places" part of this is awful. The gospel has gone to every tribe and nation -- to the ends of the earth. No place is holier than another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back