Only Two Weeks Left!! (The subject, pentecostal stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenChosen

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm not sure if you guys know this, but my roommate this year is pentecostal. I've done pretty well (by God's graces no doubt) in putting up with some of his claims, but tonight was the night that made me pretty :flaming::flaming:

He came in and mentioned that a girl from the Baptist Campus Ministries that came to Chi Alpha (a pentecostal campus ministry) because apparently she wasn't free enough to worship at BCM. :mad:

Then he mentioned a blind girl from the next dorm down who is blind. He said she came to and joked about her getting healed, of course she wasn't, then said "Perhaps next week though."

He's pretty virulently anti-Calvinist, and probably would have a heart attack with the claims of some of the hymns we're used to singing.

It's pretty irritating.

Anyways, this isn't to rant, but actually a petition of a few things:

1) Your prayers that God helps me keep my cool,

2) For some web sites that explain various strains of Pentecostal movements, a scriptural refutation of their claims,

3) And more prayer that I can keep my cool. :(

I know that [i:c4d8eae871]Charismatic Chaos[/i:c4d8eae871] is a well-written book (apparently, I've seen good reports of it on this forum though), but I don't have time to get it shipped to me in these last two weeks.

Also, how do you personally deal with Pentecostals? I know discussion of this group has been done a lot before, but sometimes it's hard to find what you're looking for with the search function.

This an area of defense in which I'm terribly lacking, so I appreciate even the least bit of help.

Hi Dan,
You have 2 weeks? Well, I tell most of my friends in regards to their families and evangelizing them, "Run with the idea that it will probably not be you that they really listen to".

John 4:44 For Jesus himself testified, that a prophet hath no honour in his own country.

Be patient Dan. If it is even possible, I would discuss a single doctrine. To me, the most important is the sovereignty of God. You can veil the topic by just discussing 'God'. Start w/ something like, "Who is God". See how this flies. If a person gets this doctrine wrong, it is quite possible, he is dead wrong!

Luke 23:40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
Luke 23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
Luke 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Thanks guys.

I know it's a lot harder for dealing with family with these beliefs, sorry for making my issue seem so over-the-top. I know a few other pentecostals in the realm of friends; one is even trying to convince my PCA friend back home and that's been interesting.

The links are very helpful.

Dan,

There is a book that will definitely help you.
"The Holy Spirit" by F. Bruner
It critiques (the best one) the Pentecostal movement.
The Trinity Foundation sells it for $12 or so. You can spend you time on websites, but I would encourage you to make this a one stop deal. it houses everything one woudl need to know to future Pentecostalism and thier claims (besides the bible of course!) :detective:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back