OPC debate ENDED

Discussion in 'Federal Vision/New Perspectives' started by NaphtaliPress, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

I saw this note on the PresbyteriansOPC forum just now; time is central time. Presentation of the report began 30 minutes ago.

2. NaphtaliPress

The latest update.

3. NaphtaliPress

Latest.

4. Jeff_Bartel

Jeff_Bartel Puritan Board Graduate

I am very interested to see how this turns out.

5. NaphtaliPress

Latest is lunch. Debate will resume as noted below. I have no idea what the resolution wording and changed wording is; anyone?

6. Bladestunner316

Bladestunner316 Puritan Board Doctor

:candle:

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

There is a running daily report on the OPC website, but nothing posted for today yet.

8. NaphtaliPress

Only news since the above: Dr. Fesko moved to adopt the report rather than adopt it for study.

9. NaphtaliPress

The latest below.

10. NaphtaliPress

Correction below.

11. Laura

Laura Puritan Board Junior

Chris, do you know anything else? I'm supposed to be tracking down info for a friend who's without Internet access and very interested to know what's going on...

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

There has been no further update on the OPC list.

13. Laura

Laura Puritan Board Junior

All right, thanks. :)

14. NaphtaliPress

A report of what transpired for yesterday is now at the opc.org website. The report went back to committee and will come back sometime before the GA is over I guess.

15. NaphtaliPress

Here is the latest posted to the OPC forum.

16. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator

Thank you so much Chris for these updates. I was speaking to Pastor David King yesterday who is doing the official reports. He is doing a marvelous job but there is a great lag in reporting because of the several eyes that need to see and emend the final product each day. So your 'up to the minute' sources or much appreciated. :handshake:

17. NaphtaliPress

Well, let's hope the GA doesn't ban such live reporting. I do suppose if they ever go into executive session they would tell everyone to log off.;)

18. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator

Yes, I jokingly told Pastor King that's it's a good thing we have a 'gossip-monger' on the floor with a wireless to keep us posted. He grabbed at my throat and demanded to know his name. It was all in fun but I guess it could get touchy should they go to exec session.

19. AdamM

AdamM Puritan Board Freshman

Just an observation, but it appears that in both the PCA and OPC the actual number of elders who embrace the NPP/FV paradigm is thankfully still very small. It goes toward confirming an opinion that I have had for a while now that the FV resonates mainly within a very narrow audience with a shared set of past experiences and concerns.

20. NaphtaliPress

:ditto:... and internet access. Some have observed that FV it seems has spread as much as it has via Internet rather than formal publication. NPP probably has picked up steam via the Internet as well though it predates it surely. Or am I over stating the importance of the Internet chatter?

21. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator

You are not over stating the importance of internet chatter. The irony here is that internet chatter is important because it is not important. The internet is able to take the obscure and inconsequential elements of a discussion and inflate the importance of those elements simply by broadcasting to a large audience. Now you add the armchair and hobbyist theologs who will jump behind their favorite pastor or personality and support things they haven't the knowledge or experience to judge and you have a real movement.

I'm glad Matthew has taken a hard stance against debating FV here on the PB for that very reason. We may be true lovers of orthodox and debate but we are not the ones to be taking sides yet. The commissioners of the PCA and OPC will make discissions that will effect ordinations, professorships, the history of the church and real lives.

We may think we are 'important' enough to debate these issues but we simply contribute to 'chatter' which helps nobody and forms a hinderance like a smoke screen that the commissioners must try to see through.

I do hope you will continue your updates but we all must understand that they are for informational purposes only. Everyone put your swords away... for now.

22. Dan....

Dan.... Puritan Board Sophomore

Also note that it is a public meeting. It takes place in a sizable auditorium. The commissioners are all up on the stage and the audience seating is open to whoever wants to attend.

I was there on Saturday morning for 3 hours. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It made me even more happy to be a member of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church.

23. DTK

DTK Puritan Board Junior

In the event anyone might be wondering, the dear OPC pastor referenced above should not be confused with yours truly. We are two different men.

DTK

24. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator

"David King", a name that the Lord seems to have reserved for two notable servants of great integrity. Yes the reporter for the OPC GA is my own pastor, David W. King.

25. kceaster

kceaster Puritan Board Junior

Dan...

I wish I had known you were there. I was there, too, though we stayed through lunch to the afternoon recess. I enjoyed myself immensely, though I wish we would have hooked up. Perhaps some other time.

Blessings,

KC

26. BJClark

BJClark Puritan Board Doctor

I don't understand the entire debate, but I do know our pastor said they are trying to kill the dragon at the neck, and make sure this heresy isn't brought into our churches.

27. NaphtaliPress

I'll try to post anything as soon as our "informants" issue any word that the report has come back to the floor. Of course, if anyone else either via the OPC forum or some other source gets any info, feel free to post it.

28. C. Matthew McMahon

C. Matthew McMahon Christian Preacher

This is a heartily true statement. That is why the RPCGA killed the FV heresy over a year ago in our own denomination.

It will be interesting to see what God's will is as "decreed" for these denominations and the FV. :pray2:

29. NaphtaliPress

Several posts. Essentially the business over the Justification Report is done. Nothing was officially adopted by the Assembly, which would have been the strongest action; but there are those who can better explain why that was not the best action, or even likely by the Assembly (which rarely if at all adopts study reports such as this).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.