Open letter to Tim Tebow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Puritan Board Doctor
On my blog, I posted an open letter to Tim Tebow. Even though it's only been posted a few hours, I have already been blasted on it, especially by Christians. Would my brothers and sisters here please read and offer me some continued feedback? Was I way out of line for writing this? (BTW, if you don't know who Tebow is, you can google him). Did i just do a poor job of conveying my thoughts or did I miss the mark entirely with my points? Thank you.

Dear Tim Tebow,

Much has been made in recent weeks of what your potential future may hold. I am sure you have had your fill from men far more knowledgeable than myself in regards to what team is going to draft you, in what round, what kind of quarterback you will be, and even if you should play the position of quarterback at all. As a football fan, I would be remiss to say that I haven’t considered my own opinions in answer to those questions, however, none of that is my reason for writing today. Instead, I am writing to encourage you of another option for your future and that is to disregard football completely and instead continue to live your life for the glory of God.

I am asking you to consider forgoing an NFL career for three reasons: 1) to properly honor the Lord’s Day and keep the fourth commandment 2) to avoid unnecessary temptations of the world and shun sin and 3) to offer a one-of-a-kind testimony of your faith in Christ.

First, while unfortunately not very popular in our present day culture, the bible nonetheless teaches that Christians are to observe the sabbath by sanctifying, or setting apart the day for God’s purposes. The Westminster Shorter Catechism summarizes what this means when it states, “The sabbath is to be sanctified by a holy resting all that day, even from such worldly employments and recreations as are lawful on other days; and spending the whole time in the public and private exercises of God's worship, except so much as is to be taken up in the works of necessity and mercy.” The majority of NFL games will be played on Sundays so you will regularly miss corporate worship and instead have to prioritize your day around your game, rather than worship of God.

Second, I am perhaps stating the obvious here, but the life of a famous, wealthy NFL superstar lends a young man to many unnecessary temptations that, if given into, will bring dishonor to our Lord and weaken your Christian walk. Great wealth itself has caused many a man to stumble. Couple that with your youth and good looks, and I can assure you that you will almost daily be faced with sinful propositions from countless women. Of course, I am sure a young man who has already endured fame such as yours has also already faced his share of temptations. I am trusting that you have made the most God-honoring choice in these situations in the past, but as an NFL player, invitations to fall into sin will multiply greatly. I pray that if you choose to go the route of an NFL career, God’s grace sustains you while the enemy pursues you. Don’t be deceived into thinking that an NFL career is automatically a “blessing”; it could very well be a curse.

Third, while many will argue that being a Christian with wealth, fame, and privilege is an opportunity to be used by the Lord, I will counter that God uses many men and women of much more meager lifestyles on a regular basis. Instead, think of how awesome a testimony you will have to glorify God if you choose to give up an NFL opportunity and instead choose to live as a “normal” guy. It’s the sinful, greedy man who can’t comprehend how a person could pass up millions of dollars for a 9-5 job. After all, it’s just money. God’s not impressed by it. Think of the testimony of giving up fame and being recognized by millions in order to exalt Christ rather than self. It’s the sinful, proud man who can’t fathom passing up celebrity status for the humble life of a godly husband and father. Many times Christians profess that life is not about money, possessions, fame, etc. Instead we profess that all we need is Christ. But then again, how many of these believers have truly been in the position to live their profession? You have that opportunity.

In conclusion, I hope that you don’t read this letter for something that it is not. I already admitted that I enjoy the NFL. This letter was in no way intended to badmouth the league. I also do not mean to imply that if you choose to play football as a professional, you are no longer a Christian or that there aren’t any Christians in the league presently. What I hoped to accomplish with this letter was to merely get you to think about your future and prayerfully consider that you are by no means obligated to be an NFL player. Instead, your only obligation as a biblical Christian is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever. I will be praying for you in whatever you decide to do.

Your brother in Christ,

Andrew

I think you struck the nail on the head with this one. I agree with all of your points, especially the first, but I think you will find it hard pressed to convince the "Evangelical Christian" (i.e. Tebow) to conform to the pattern of a Sabbath rest as relevant for the Church today. I'm sure that those Christians who are bashing you have the same presupposition that I once had on this, that is that Christ is our sabbath rest and that the fourth commandment was done away with as a ceremonial aspect of the law. This, in my opinion, is going to be the main point of contention that you will face here.

He probably will think you are nicely telling him that he isn't good enough to play in the NFL. Others have already made their views clear on that.

No, mostly I think you just trampled on the sacred cows that own and are owned by a lot of people (though I have better hopes of Tebow himself).

Good closing paragraph.

Andrew - I appreciate the intent of your post, and think it is worth posting.

Since you asked for feedback: I agree with your first point, but not the second and third. ANY profession can lead temptation, and there have been plenty of professing Christians who have played football and resisted temptation. Would it lead to more worldly temptation than, say, being a carpenter? Perhaps, but that's no reason to avoid a certain profession. In my view that starts us down a road to isolationism, asceticism, and fundamentalism. Your last point comes across as very sanctimonious. There is nothing inherently wrong about playing football professionally. How is a standard "9-5" job any better or worse, and how does it make a stronger statement for the Lord? Again, I think this starts us down a path to asceticism.

I agree that he should not play football professionally on Sunday, and believe there is value in making that case. But you can stop there and leave the rest out. I think you only dilute the power of your first exhortation to keep the law by adding in extra-biblical platitudes in your 2nd and 3rd points. :2cents:

I'm probably in the minority on the Puritan Board, but I object to such a letter. For starters,

I am writing to encourage you of another option for your future and that is to disregard football completely and instead continue to live your life for the glory of God.

This statement assumes (at least it appears to assume) that opting to play pro football cannot be done to the glory of God.

Your first point about the Sabbath is fair. The second two are much weaker. There are numerous professions that pay well and attract women, but that doesn't make the profession less pure or noble. While it is wrong to make an idol out of fame and wealth, it is not necessary to flee from those things. Both can be blessings.

Since you asked for feedback: I agree with your first point, but not the second and third. ANY profession can lead temptation, and there have been plenty of professing Christians who have played football and resisted temptation. Would it lead to more worldly temptation than, say, being a carpenter? Perhaps, but that's no reason to avoid a certain profession. In my view that starts us down a road to isolationism, asceticism, and fundamentalism. Your last point comes across as very sanctimonious. There is nothing inherently wrong about playing football professionally. How is a standard "9-5" job any better or worse, and how does it make a stronger statement for the Lord? Again, I think this starts us down a path to asceticism.

I agree that he should not play football professionally on Sunday, and believe there is value in making that case. But you can stop there and leave the rest out. I think you only dilute the power of your first exhortation to keep the law by adding in extra-biblical platitudes in your 2nd and 3rd points. :2cents:

Thanks Mason. I see your point that one vocation should not be esteemed "better" than another if the person called to it is glorifying God. But I also think that Christians have a responsibility to guard our hearts against temptation, which leads to sin. Perhaps my error was projecting my own weakness into the letter because for Andrew Silva an NFL career would almost certainly overwhelm me with temptation. I know my wicked heart and I stumble enough in my present life that I can only imagine the sinfulness I would fall into as an NFL player.

Thanks for being willing to share a letter you knew people were unhappy with! I think you've correctly identified some issues much of the evangelical world misses. Good job on that. Really. But I do think some of your points could use refining.

Point #1 (Sabbath) works even if one doesn't hold to Sunday as the Christian Sabbath, because an NFL career would make it difficult to consistantly attend corporate worship in a real church. For a man to decide not to enter a certain profession, no matter how lucrative and self-glorifying, because he places a higher value on attending worship—well, that's a powerful stand to take, and one that even a non-Sabbath observer could understand.

Point #2 (temptations) doesn't work so well. Once you think it through I feel you might agree that the argument recognizes too little of sin's pervasive power to tempt us no matter where we are or what we do. An NFLer only faces, at most, temptations that are less subtle. A good heart produces good fruit even in tough settings, and a bad heart finds a way to sin anywhere.

Point #3 (wealth and fame) requires us to know the guy's motivations. People can choose to play football for good reasons or for bad ones. They can also choose not to play for good reasons or bad. Your argument that being a humble, "normal guy" can be great in God's kingdom is right and probably one a guy in Tebow's situation needs to be reminded of. But I know Christians who take pride in being normal and humble and look down on "achievers," which misses the point. We need Christians in all walks of life. What matters is not status but one's attitude toward status.

Overall, I wonder if by even writing the letter you feed the "Christian" celebrity cult that surrounds this guy. I'm not saying you do. I just wonder.

Thanks Mason. I see your point that one vocation should not be esteemed "better" than another if the person called to it is glorifying God. But I also think that Christians have a responsibility to guard our hearts against temptation, which leads to sin. Perhaps my error was projecting my own weakness into the letter because for Andrew Silva an NFL career would almost certainly overwhelm me with temptation. I know my wicked heart and I stumble enough in my present life that I can only imagine the sinfulness I would fall into as an NFL player.

Believe me, Andrew, I would be right there with you in terms of temptation if I had the ability to play in the NFL...

I am writing to encourage you of another option for your future and that is to disregard football completely and instead continue to live your life for the glory of God.

This statement assumes (at least it appears to assume) that opting to play pro football cannot be done to the glory of God.

I think this is a true statement: one cannot play pro football to the glory of God. One cannot violate the Sabbath to the glory of God. One cannot sin to the glory of God. If we acknowledge that Sabbath football is sin, then the statement is proper.

It has been said above, but I will add my :2cents:

Your first point is valid, the other 2 not so much.

Sport is not a sin, and to eguate the temptation and yeilding to the temptation is the first step on the road to legalism and moralism.

It is true that wealth & fame can bring temptations that those of us that are poor & unknown will never face. However the teptation to feelings of spiritual superiority, and pride are endemic among all people irrespective of the size of you bank account or how many people recognize you on the street.

I frankly had never heard of the kid prior to the discussion about his ad with Focus on the Family. That he was willing to use his fame to share his faith speaks highly of him in my opinion. I can not imagine how God would be glorified to a greater degree if he turned his back on sports & started selling cars. I honestly don't understand that point.

On my blog, I posted an open letter to Tim Tebow. Would my brothers and sisters here please read and offer me some continued feedback? Was I way out of line for writing this?

I appreciate your letter, and agree with part of it. At the same time, I generally disagree with "open letters". Did you actually send this to Tim, or just post it on your blog for others to read? If you are counselling a brother to forsake sin, you should go directly to him. Open letters seem to more often than not be addressed to the crowd.

Andres,

I agree that he shouldn't break the Sabbath. But don't college football teams practice on the Lord's Day as well? Most that I know of either have practice or get together to watch film of the previous day's game on the Lord's Day. If you throw out one you would have to throw out the other. He really shouldn't have played college ball unless he told them he would not practice on the Lord's Day. What's the difference between practice and a game?

Calling Allen Iverson....

P.S. I struggle with supporting college football by watching it and going to games for the reason cited above.

I appreciate your letter, and agree with part of it. At the same time, I generally disagree with "open letters". Did you actually send this to Tim, or just post it on your blog for others to read? If you are counselling a brother to forsake sin, you should go directly to him. Open letters seem to more often than not be addressed to the crowd.
If any of you want to give me his address I will mail him the letter today.

Andres,

I agree that he shouldn't break the Sabbath. But don't college football teams practice on the Lord's Day as well? Most that I know of either have practice or get together to watch film of the previous day's game on the Lord's Day. If you throw out one you would have to throw out the other. He really shouldn't have played college ball unless he told them he would not practice on the Lord's Day. What's the difference between practice and a game?

Calling Allen Iverson....

P.S. I struggle with supporting college football by watching it and going to games for the reason cited above.

John, good question and my answer is I honestly have no idea if the major college programs have practice on the Lord's day. If they do, then obviously yes, I would encourage any of those men to forsake that too. As for your comment about not watching the games period because they may violate the 4th commandment is something else I wondered about. Going back to the NFL example since we're sure they play Sundays, am I wrong for supporting the NFL, even if I don't watch on Sundays? For example, if I just watch Monday Night football and buy a jersey, is that wrong because I support an organization that consciously violates the 4th commandment, even if I don't neccessarily do it? If we are going to say yes then that would mean we shouldn't eat at any restaurants that are open on Sunday, even during the week.

Some of your thoughts are some of the same ones that I have rolling around in my head as well and truthfully, I haven't figured it all out yet. If you figure it out, let me know. It will save me some stress.

I think the danger that we can all fall into is inconsistency. Plus, where do we draw the line. Is the line just avoiding things on that day or do we withhold support from organizations that consistently break the Sabbath. If we do the latter, we might as well stay at home. What secular organization or business does not consistently break at least one of the 10 commandments without any conviction of sin or repentance?

John, good question and my answer is I honestly have no idea if the major college programs have practice on the Lord's day. If they do, then obviously yes, I would encourage any of those men to forsake that too. As for your comment about not watching the games period because they may violate the 4th commandment is something else I wondered about. Going back to the NFL example since we're sure they play Sundays, am I wrong for supporting the NFL, even if I don't watch on Sundays? For example, if I just watch Monday Night football and buy a jersey, is that wrong because I support an organization that consciously violates the 4th commandment, even if I don't neccessarily do it? If we are going to say yes then that would mean we shouldn't eat at any restaurants that are open on Sunday, even during the week.

Some of your thoughts are some of the same ones that I have rolling around in my head as well and truthfully, I haven't figured it all out yet. If you figure it out, let me know. It will save me some stress.

I think the danger that we can all fall into is inconsistency. Plus, where do we draw the line. Is the line just avoiding things on that day or do we withhold support from organizations that consistently break the Sabbath. If we do the latter, we might as well stay at home. What secular organization or business does not consistently break at least one of the 10 commandments without any conviction of sin or repentance?

John, your above sentiments align with my feelings. Good points and based on them I will continue to watch sports and eat at restaurants on Mondays through Saturday, but avoid them on the Lord's Day.

I also agree with the first point but not the last two. I would ask 'Is going into business sin? There is a lot of potential for wealth in many business ventures. Wealth can be a gift from God, but it can also be a curse from God.

Also, when using Reformed documents I would be careful. Most evangelicals do not care- and will not ever care about what the Shorter Catechism, or any other Confession or Catechism says. I would be careful there- make a more biblical argument... save the WSC quotes for the Reformed guys. :)

Lastly, I would encourage you to send Tim the letter and not just have an 'open letter'. Often these open letters do not ever get read by the addressee and can be seen as a form of complaining more than anything else. I was taught at an early age that open letters and anonymous letters are fit for the trash more than consideration. It may be a personal thing of mine, but make sure you get him a copy and see if he replies.

That is all. :)

I also agree with the first point but not the last two. I would ask 'Is going into business sin? There is a lot of potential for wealth in many business ventures. Wealth can be a gift from God, but it can also be a curse from God.

Also, when using Reformed documents I would be careful. Most evangelicals do not care- and will not ever care about what the Shorter Catechism, or any other Confession or Catechism says. I would be careful there- make a more biblical argument... save the WSC quotes for the Reformed guys. :)

Lastly, I would encourage you to send Tim the letter and not just have an 'open letter'. Often these open letters do not ever get read by the addressee and can be seen as a form of complaining more than anything else. I was taught at an early age that open letters and anonymous letters are fit for the trash more than consideration. It may be a personal thing of mine, but make sure you get him a copy and see if he replies.

That is all. :)

Thanks for you points Pastor. They are well taken. I mentioned previously that I can't mail him the letter because I don't know where to send it. If anyone has an address, I'll mail it immediately.

The whole state of Colorado is talking about Tebow this week. The Broncos' other first round pick also professes eagerly to be a Christian. The head coach who picked them because they're both "good guys" has been steadily pruning the team of those he considers troublemakers or weak ethically, all the while gaining a reputation for being one of the most foul-mouthed coaches in the league. It's fairly surreal.

Tebow faces challenges beyond the Sabbath issue. The pressure on him to be both the Broncos quarterback and the Christian standard bearer, in a state that's both NFL-crazy and an evangelical haven, will be enormous. Thing is, those who've met him uniformly seem to agree he may be up to it.

My initial thoughts bring me one of my favorite movies - Chariots of Fire. This movie brings up two points that I would like to discuss. Eric Liddell gave up a race in the Olympics because of the event being held on Sunday. He felt the same as you. Of course if you have seen the movie, he ends up racing in a different race... and wins and feels honored by God.

However the 2nd point and this is where I am conflicted... "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure. " One of the best lines in the film... Begs the question... if God gave you such a talent - why wouldn't you want to use it to the best of your abilities? Christ is Lord of the Sabbath - we all know the scripture.

What do you all think?

I would add that giving up the quintessential American dream for his first dream of becoming a missionary, and choosing suffering for the sake of Christ over the greatest treasure in the world's eyes would bring so much glory to Christ, and lift him up immensely. That someone would choose suffering for the sake of Christ over fame and riches and comfort magnifies the worth of Christ more than just about anything you could do to show the American culture that Christ is worth more than life itself.

No warm-blooded American male would understand why someone would pick suffering over the American dream, which causes them to see that suffering for the sake of Christ is worth more than fame, fortune, comfort, and life itself. The treasure of knowing Christ is worth more than even the greatest treasures in this life.

Can you imagine if Tim Tebow suffered and died for the sake of Christ and His name, denying himself and making Christ the treasure of his life over even this? How much would it magnify Christ if Tim Tebow chose death for the sake of Christ over all the treasures of this world?

"It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:20

The only way Paul could possibly say that to die and lose everything on this earth is GAIN is if he considered Christ worth more than life itself.

"But whatever gain I had I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ." - Philippians 3:7-8

Compared to knowing Christ, Paul considered EVERYTHING rubbish. He counts EVERYTHING as loss, but death as gain, why? Because dying means basking in the glory of Christ, his treasure, and his great gain. Gaining everything in this life is a LOSS to Paul, but dying for the sake of Christ is great gain.

He has the opportunity to make Christ look great to the entire world. By choosing a life of service to Christ and the gospel, he could make Christ look even greater than the greatest treasures in all of this earthly worlds.

Tim Tebow, don't waste your life.

Only one life, t'will soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last.

My initial thoughts bring me one of my favorite movies - Chariots of Fire. This movie brings up two points that I would like to discuss. Eric Liddell gave up a race in the Olympics because of the event being held on Sunday. He felt the same as you. Of course if you have seen the movie, he ends up racing in a different race... and wins and feels honored by God.

However the 2nd point and this is where I am conflicted... "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure. " One of the best lines in the film... Begs the question... if God gave you such a talent - why wouldn't you want to use it to the best of your abilities? Christ is Lord of the Sabbath - we all know the scripture.

What do you all think?

It means that besides scheduling the overwhelming majority of games on Sunday, a sin I'd argue significantly more pernicious than simply scheduling some games on Sunday as though it were any other day, the NFL compounds its error by precluding Lord's Day-observant players from using those God-given gifts on the biggest stage for them, since it's basically pointless to be in the NFL and not play on Sundays and no team would select such a player. What it means is the NFL needs to pick a different day to hold its games.

First of all, I do not claim to be authoritative on this... I am just thinking out loud and would love to have input on what
you think...

Where does Christian liberty come in here? I mean, aren't we free as in "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." - Romans 8:1. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath... just as Paul wrote about the eating of certain meats, aren't we also free on the Sabbath because of Christ?

And then I thought about this...

If you are created with such gifts - how is that any different than being a pastor who obviously preaches on Sunday... and is getting paid for it? I assume that pastor is called to that service - just as Tim Tebow feels called to use his gifts of football for the Glory of Almighty God.

Thanks for allowing my 2 cents.

First of all, I do not claim to be authoritative on this... I am just thinking out loud and would love to have input on what
you think...

Where does Christian liberty come in here? I mean, aren't we free as in "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." - Romans 8:1. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath... just as Paul wrote about the eating of certain meats, aren't we also free on the Sabbath because of Christ?

And then I thought about this...

If you are created with such gifts - how is that any different than being a pastor who obviously preaches on Sunday... and is getting paid for it? I assume that pastor is called to that service - just as Tim Tebow feels called to use his gifts of football for the Glory of Almighty God.

Thanks for allowing my 2 cents.

Eric,

According to your profile you are new to Reformed theology. Allow me to share what the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith as to say regarding the Lord's Day (the Christian sabbath).

1689 LBC 22.7, 8
7. As it is the law of nature, that in general a proportion of time, by God's appointment, be set apart for the worship of God, so by his Word, in a positive moral, and perpetual commandment, binding all men, in all ages, he hath particularly appointed one day in seven for a sabbath to be kept holy unto him, which from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ was the last day of the week, and from the resurrection of Christ was changed into the first day of the week, which is called the Lord's day: and is to be continued to the end of the world as the Christian Sabbath, the observation of the last day of the week being abolished.
( Exodus 20:8; 1 Corinthians 16:1, 2; Acts 20:7; Revelation 1:10 )

8. The sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering their common affairs aforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all day, from their own works, words and thoughts, about their worldly employment and recreations, but are also taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.
( Isaiah 58:13; Nehemiah 13:15-22; Matthew 12:1-13 )

Could I challenge you to acquaint yourself with this part of the confession? Read the supporting verses. If you'd like, I'd be happy to discuss this with you further once you've taken the time to look at it yourself.

Brother Eric, I second Bill's suggestion and I would also like to add that you may find some good information searching through this forum. Anything in regards to "sabbath" should be a good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back