Status
Not open for further replies.

Haeralis

Puritan Board Freshman
Yesterday, my third publication to The Imaginative Conservative went live. The brief essay describes Bacon's use of religious language in The New Atlantis done for the purpose of aggrandizing science and coopting Christianity for earthly progress. You can read the essay here:
http://www.theimaginativeconservati...bacons-new-atlantis-gordon-dakota-arnold.html

I'm wondering what my brothers in Christ here at the Puritanboard believe about Francis Bacon. Some have been more convinced that Bacon was a largely orthodox Christian; most notably, Francis Schaeffer, who speaks very highly of Bacon as a Protestant thinker in How Shall We Then Live?

As can be inferred from my essay, I am certainly not convinced. Bacon is largely considered a hardcore materialist, empiricist and modernist. He was a close colleague and collaborator with the apostate philosopher Thomas Hobbes, whom was described by Leo Strauss as a chief expositor of "political atheism" and by the Earl of Clarendon as a man whose "pandor to bestiality" has "had so great a share in the debauchery of his Generation, that a good Christian can hardly hear his name without saying of his prayers."

Has anyone studied Sir Francis Bacon in-depth who can shed further light on his religious opinions? I do think that his New Atlantis makes it clear that he has far more faith in science than in orthodox Protestantism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back