Oral Roberts Has Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall the cartoonist Berkley Breathed in his comic strip, "Bloom County" doing some incredibly funny parodies of OR's lunacy. Thus I can say that, in a round-a-bout way, he made me laugh. That's a positive, no?

Theognome

Oral Roberts was a false prophet, and if he died without repentance and trust in the true Lord and Savior, he is in hell. That said, none of us know what happened on his death bed. God very well may have convicted him of his sin and brought him to faith; or He may not have. Either way, what he taught from his pulpit was damnable heresy. We are all guilty of the crime of damnable heresy at some point in our lives. We should all thank God that He is gracious and saves damnable heretics.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........I mean......oh..... ....

-----Added 12/16/2009 at 12:54:04 EST-----

Oral Roberts was a false prophet, and if he died without repentance and trust in the true Lord and Savior, he is in hell. That said, none of us know what happened on his death bed. God very well may have convicted him of his sin and brought him to faith; or He may not have. Either way, what he taught from his pulpit was damnable heresy. We are all guilty of the crime of damnable heresy at some point in our lives. We should all thank God that He is gracious and saves damnable heretics.

Amen!!! I'm a heretic in practice for sure!! :D

The first thought that went through my mind when I read the title was "God, I pray he repented of His false teachings before He died."

I remember him making the claim that if he didn't raise those millions he was going to die..it was one of the excuses my mom and many of her friends used for not going to church for years.."all preachers were like him--begging for money from the poor and then living the high life for themselves."

I was able to point my mother to verses that spoke of false teachers and false prophets and explain they would always be around and even though they are around, we still have the truth of God's word and we know what we should do--God wants us to be obedient to what He tells us...not blame someone else for our not doing it..she eventually started going back and many of her friends heard the Gospel preached upon her death..

I just think that Oral Roberts was a very sincere if theologically theologically confused man I just hope he's in a better place.

-----Added 12/16/2009 at 08:41:02 EST-----

I don't think of it as a controversy. It is about having respect for the dead and being gracious. No one is saying he was a great preacher or that he was not a false prophet. Some are simply recognizing that God brought about the salvation of some through his ministry.

Yeah that's basically how I feel and as far as the question of his Salvation I think that's better left to God:2cents:

Just because a man yells "Jesus" in a crowded theater does not mean he is pointing people to Christ. See 2 Peter 2.

But it doesn't mean the guy is a heretic and going to Hell.

You don't think Oral Roberts taught and promoted heresy?

My comment was directed more towards the imaginary guy yelling "Jesus."

That being said, I do not know everything about Oral Roberts so I may be missing something. From what I have seen, I do not think he promoted heresy. Teaching that Jesus is a miracle worker is not heresy, I just think OR was wrong about how this all worked out. Teaching the prosperity Gospel is not heresy, it is a "bill of goods and pile of ****" to quote Piper.

At the end of his tent revivals, he would give an altar call that is just like 90% of the churches in the world today. In fact, I would venture to say that the altar calls are not that much different from Billy Graham's and I don't think we would call him a heretic. If he was constantly pointing people to the saving work of Christ, then I can't consider him a heretic. I do not throw that word around lightly.

OR's theology consisted of the basic tenets of Christianity mixed with error (as someone pointed out in the other thread). The same could be said about everyone. Even MacArthur admits that he is wrong about somethings (and if he knew what it was he would change it). Think about it, either paedo or cred baptism is right. Both can't be. Either amil, postmil, premil, or Dispensational premil is right, all can't be. At what point do we say that someone has too much error and becomes a heretic? 30%? 40%? 50%?

I don't think a percentage can be given. I think it comes down to certain beliefs. OR believed in salvation through Christ alone, and I have not seen anything where OR takes away anything from the nature of God. He believes in a sovereign all powerful personal God who loves his children. Out of this love he sees God working miracles and blessing people.

Was OR wrong about things? yes. Did he prophecy stuff that did not come true? yes.

does this make him a heretic? I will let God determine the condition of his soul. I recommend you do the same.

That being said, I do not know everything about Oral Roberts so I may be missing something. From what I have seen, I do not think he promoted heresy. Teaching that Jesus is a miracle worker is not heresy, I just think OR was wrong about how this all worked out. Teaching the prosperity Gospel is not heresy, it is a "bill of goods and pile of ****" to quote Piper.

At the end of his tent revivals, he would give an altar call that is just like 90% of the churches in the world today. In fact, I would venture to say that the altar calls are not that much different from Billy Graham's and I don't think we would call him a heretic. If he was constantly pointing people to the saving work of Christ, then I can't consider him a heretic. I do not throw that word around lightly.

OR's theology consisted of the basic tenets of Christianity mixed with error (as someone pointed out in the other thread). The same could be said about everyone. Even MacArthur admits that he is wrong about somethings (and if he knew what it was he would change it). Think about it, either paedo or cred baptism is right. Both can't be. Either amil, postmil, premil, or Dispensational premil is right, all can't be. At what point do we say that someone has too much error and becomes a heretic? 30%? 40%? 50%?

I don't think a percentage can be given. I think it comes down to certain beliefs. OR believed in salvation through Christ alone, and I have not seen anything where OR takes away anything from the nature of God. He believes in a sovereign all powerful personal God who loves his children. Out of this love he sees God working miracles and blessing people.

Was OR wrong about things? yes. Did he prophecy stuff that did not come true? yes.

does this make him a heretic? I will let God determine the condition of his soul. I recommend you do the same.

To compare Dr. John MacArthur to Oral Roberts is beyond apples to oranges. That's more like apples to motorcycles in my book.

He told Benny Hinn and others (who then spread the "prophecy") that God had told him that he was going to die when he was 90. So even his death points to him being a false prophet.

Does anyone remember when the funding for his medical school was falling short? He announced that God had told him that he would die if the money wasn't raised. He actually appealed to donors to "extend my life" by donating to the building fund.

I do know of the story. My mom was working at the hospital at the time. She was also in the audience when the donor gave the amount needed.

Did your mom have the paddles ready and charged?

But it doesn't mean the guy is a heretic and going to Hell.

With all do respect Oral Roberts taught practically nothing but heresy. Due to the impreciseness of his theology he often taught a modalistic view of the Trinity (heresy). He did not teach the Biblical gospel of Jesus Christ's substitutionary death on the cross and he was not a confused Arminian but a full-blown Pelagian (heresy). There is more there but I do not feel the need to go on.

With all do respect Oral Roberts taught practically nothing but heresy. Due to the impreciseness of his theology he often taught a modalistic view of the Trinity (heresy). He did not teach the Biblical gospel of Jesus Christ's substitutionary death on the cross and he was not a confused Arminian but a full-blown Pelagian (heresy). There is more there but I do not feel the need to go on.

As I said, I am not a OR scholar, so I would have to take you at your word on the above.

Also I was not comparing MacArthur to Roberts. I was merely pointing out that even those who respect admit to having "wrong" in their theology. So the simple fact of having wrong in their theology does not make them a heretic. It has to go beyond that.

No my mom did not have a defib, she was enamored by the man (and is still to this day to an extent) and just knew that God would provide.

If speaking ill of the dead is wrong, then Peter and Jude were guilty of the same when they spoke of Cain, Balaam, and Korah. We should then never speak ill of Finney, Pelagius, or Arius.

OR would fit right in with those fellows, having taught much the same as they.

It may garner me demerit in the eyes of some, but I have no reluctance to state plainly that OR was a flaming heretic, and if his death will result in fewer of the elect having to spend time, or a shorter time, under the misery of the teachings he promulgated, I for one am relieved at his demise.

If speaking ill of the dead is wrong, then Peter and Jude were guilty of the same when they spoke of Cain, Balaam, and Korah. We should then never speak ill of Finney, Pelagius, or Arius.

It may garner me demerit in the eyes of some, but I have no reluctance to state plainly that OR was a flaming heretic, and if his death will result in fewer of the elect having to spend time, or a shorter time, under the misery of the teachings he promulgated, I for one am relieved at his demise.

There is a difference between pointing out the faults of those who have passed, and throwing a party that someone is burning in Hell. This is all I meant about having respect.

There is a difference between pointing out the faults of those who have passed, and throwing a party that someone is burning in Hell. This is all I meant about having respect.

I agree with this to a point. But do not forget. the elect of God will sing praises as the damned smoke rises up forever and ever in the eschalon.

Albert Mohler has just posted his thoughts on Oral Roberts and his passing on his blog.
AlbertMohler.com

:ditto: A balanced and historically informed assessment that does not whitewash his faults (other than some of the rankest heresies identified in this thread), and places him within the context of American 20th Century Christianity -- for good AND ill.

I agree with this to a point. But do not forget. the elect of God will sing praises as the damned smoke rises up forever and ever in the eschalon.

Yes but to do this now with OR would mean you know the condition of his soul. I don't think any here knows without a doubt whether he was elect or not.

I think it's plain he was a false prophet. Let us remember that we do not know how long we have on this earth - We must repent. I will not glory in his death, but I have to be honest and say it's pretty clear he was a false prophet, not a sheep.

You'll recall, this was the fakir who claimed to have a
vision of a 900-foot-tall Jesus. It had also been Jesus
who commissioned him to find a cancer cure.

In 1987, God told Roberts he'd kill him [Roberts] unless
people donated 8-million dollars ! ( The Lord allowed
Roberts to live because people sent in 9.1-million. )

I'm not sure how many "parts" there will be to the series. I've never seen a number. The Oral Roberts "special" may have been added because it was timely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back