Ordination and Installation of Nathan Eshelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
Despite the fact that I had to duck out after 45 minutes to hoof it to a wedding cross town, Nathan Eshelman's ordination was glorious indeed today!

In typical Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America (a small denomination of about 85 congregations) fashion, the singing was of Psalms sung acapella (Ps 99a, Ps 1a, Ps 134a, and Ps 133a).

The service featured representation by the Pacific Coast Presbytery, the congregation, Rev. Ray Lanning of Grand Rapids and Dr. Joel Beeke. It was impressive to see Nathan take his public ordination vows, framed in the form of "queries." I was personally moved by the public signing of the "Queries by the Candidate." That was a new feature in an ordination to me.

Despite my unavoidable schedule conflict (wedding of my best friend), it was WONDERFUL to be present for the first part of the service to offer a bit of support for our PB brother and to hear a GREAT sermon by Dr. Beeke.

Using 2 Corinthians 6 as his text, Dr. Beeke observed that the chapter deals with the fact that ministry is marked by suffering (vss. 4-5), it is distinguished by the character of the servant of God (vs. 6), it is recognized by the ministry itself (vs. 7), and the minister is recognized by the way they embrace the "Paradox of Ministry" (vss. 8-10).

He offered a splendid exposition of vss. 8-10, noting that Nathan needs to
* "Recognize the paradox of ministry"
* "Not reject the paradox" by either attempting to escape the insignificance of ministry by self vaunting efforts or by denying your real greatness
* "Rejoice in the paradox" that comes in knowing that God has called you to be his servant and to "minister the simple Gospel to simple peole in simple truth."

Listening to the learned Dr. Beeke is a soul-stirring experience as he speaks with a simple and understated humility, delivering a passionate experimental Calvinist message. Wow! Kudos to young Rev. Eshelman for snagging such a servant to speak at his ordination and installation way out in La La land.

Congrats to you and may the Lord bless your ministry, Pastor Eshelman!

:sing: :amen: :bouncy: :applause: :banana: :cheers: :handshake: :pray2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back